Thai Language In Linux

barrythai

Hi,

There is not a lot to do for thai support in Linux, just install the fonts package and you should be able to use thai language on your system. You should find it in the package database of your distro.

Gnome and KDE should allow you to adjust your desktop environnement to thai with their graphical localization tools. Then you can switch your keyboard between thai & english (kbd shortcut or a small graphical utility). Though if you want to switch your graphical environnement (icons, menus,etc) from thai to english you have to restart your Xsession (stop X and choose the language of the session in GDM or KDM).

An useful link here : Setting and Using Thai on Linux

Just an example, I'm using the Fvwm window manager and I've set the keyboard to thai/english (X Window : Input Method) as I only need to be able to do a search in a web browser, Google or type thai in OpenOffice or another simple text editor (don't need thai in console).

I just checked if I had the thai keyboard support and found it (/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/th). Then I applied the method explained on http://linux.thai.net/~thep/thai-howto/thai-howto.html

I first tried it by typing in a console:

setxkbmap us,th -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,lv3:switch,grp_led:scroll

and I was able to switch from en to thai with Alt-Shift. OK.

Then I modified these options (XkbLayout and XkbOptions) to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have them automatically when I start X:

Section "InputDevice"

#	Option "XkbDisable"
Identifier	 "Keyboard1"
Driver		 "kbd"
Option		 "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
Option		 "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option		 "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option		 "XkbLayout" "us,th"
Option		 "XkbOptions"  "grp:alt_shift_toggle,lv3:switch,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"