Thai Man To Kill Me

HeijoshinCool

So I'm getting ready for my trip and there's a knock on the door.

Three, count'm, three (3) cops in painted-on uniforms and sunglasses and each had sidearms.

Big smile (me, they didn't).

Yes?

You will please come to police station with your passport.

Why?

He starts hemming and hawing. I call GF.

She tells him (nicely) that only immigration can require a passport, but he persists, saying they need all the info, where I've been and, yes, he said this: where I'm going. blink.png

But especially the passport number.

My GF was firm. Why did they need this info.

One sighed and said, "Too many embarrassments for Thailand, the (title of some big cheese) wants all local farang in the database."

Why, what embarrassments, she persisted.

"When Thai men kill farang, and we don't know who the farang is."

w00t.gif

w00t.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run. Forrest. Run.

Actually, up until things were clarified, that thought was continuously passing through my mind.

Only problem is, my house only has one door.

Use it quick.... If the BIB are involved....no ones coming for you....

Somewhat misleading thread title, IMO. You seem to have had a run-in with some linguistically challenged cops - surely that happens in Thailand on a daily basis ?

cheesy.gif

Who exactly is linguistically challenge ?

It's actually an attempt to self depreciating humor. How the OP poor understanding of the local language leaded him to believe that a hitman was looking for him when actually he was being interviewed by a couple of census officers.

And the sarcastic humor of the OP's wife who's getting tired to translate for her linguistically challenged husband.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

So who done it? Was it the butler?

I'd say it was the Thai manservant.

I don't think he's been killed yet. Like all great troll threads, there's still something to look forward to...

If I was the OP, I would speak to any other farangs in the area, to see if they received similar visits. If not, then...

... why was he singled out...

... and why do the police know already?

I hope his missus can fill us in on how this all works out in the end...

SC

QUOTE:

Wow.

The title refers to the future possibility, according to the local police, of my, or ANY OTHER FOREIGNER IN THIS AREA, being killed by a Thai and the government's ensuing embarrassment when a foreigner is killed and they don't know who he is.

Why move to pub? Isn't pub for jokes and non-Thai related silliness? Geez.

This happened as written, and for one thing, I found it amazing that a cop would say such a thing, and for another, I wondered if this was being done outside my area. But never got to ask that before getting moved to a forum with potty and boom-boom jokes.

If the title was misleading to you, perhaps you are easily mislead?

Maybe I should spend my time with some more intelligent endeavor than posting on Thai Visa. Let's see if there's a Gilligan's Island Marathon on television tonight.

ENDQUOTE

What I'm interested to find out is how the police know you are going to be killed, and why they are not doing something to stop it, rather than preparing for problems after the event.

SC

EDIT: My apologies for buggering up the quotes

Edited by StreetCowboy

There is every chance that a potential murder case is not the reason.

The Cops were asked why they needed to see his Passport, they had just been sent on this mission by a superior without being told why, couldn't think of anything credible, so just made something up.

There is every chance that a potential murder case is not the reason.

The Cops were asked why they needed to see his Passport, they had just been sent on this mission by a superior without being told why, couldn't think of anything credible, so just made something up.

Possible, I suppose. But I'm not sure he would be prudent to ignore the explanation from the police officers concerned, on the grounds that "they might've made it up on the spot to avoid losing face". I can't imagine a professional police officer doing that.

SC

No, no, no.

Okay, forget the topic title.

The cops are telling the truth. They are out collecting info on all foreigners (not just me) in this area in the event one is murdered.

No specific threats.

They just don't want to be embarrassed (imagine that!).

No, no, no.

The cops are telling the truth. They are out collecting info on all foreigners (not just me) in this area in the event one is murdered.

No specific threats.

Have you confirmed it's not just you?

EDIT: Seems a bit of a waste of time, collecting everyone's details. Aren't the police supposed to have their finger on the pulse, keep an ear to the ground, know what's going down?

Edited by StreetCowboy

No, no, no.

No specific threats.

EDIT: Seems a bit of a waste of time, collecting everyone's details. Aren't the police supposed to have their finger on the pulse, keep an ear to the ground, know what's going down?

My OP was only verbatim what transpired.

I have no way to know who else has been contacted, there's maybe 4 or 5 foreigners within an hour of here. But you're right, I should at least try to check. The two I've seen are not exactly sociable, however.

The one thing that bothers me is that this is a town of 3000, and everyone here knows who I am. Having said that, if a big cheeses demanded info be collected and submitted, it does seem reasonable they'd ask anyway, yes?

No, no, no.

No specific threats.

My OP was only verbatim what transpired.

I have no way to know who else has been contacted, there's maybe 4 or 5 foreigners within an hour of here. But you're right, I should at least try to check. The two I've seen are not exactly sociable, however.

The one thing that bothers me is that this is a town of 3000, and everyone here knows who I am. Having said that, if a big cheeses demanded info be collected and submitted, it does seem reasonable they'd ask anyway, yes?

I suppose they'll be anxious to make sure they get the right man when the time comes. There's maybe been too many cases of the wrong bloke jumping off a balcony or whatever.

Might be as well to check with the other farangs, before it's too late...

SC

Street Cowboy Said:

I suppose they'll be anxious to make sure they get the right man when
the time comes. There's maybe been too many cases of the wrong bloke
jumping off a balcony or whatever.

SC

I'd like to know if anyone anywhere in LOS has had a similar experience? Particularly in Nakhon Si Thammarhat?

Mods, please put this back in GENERAL.

Street Cowboy Said:

I suppose they'll be anxious to make sure they get the right man when

the time comes. There's maybe been too many cases of the wrong bloke

jumping off a balcony or whatever.

SC

I'd like to know if anyone anywhere in LOS has had a similar experience? Particularly in Nakhon Si Thammarhat?

Mods, please put this back in GENERAL.

Ok, moving back to General topics.