Electricity Bill.

Just received my leccy bill, about 15 days late.

Already went to the local PEA office a week ago with the meter number, as I normally get my bill much earlier (due date around the 29th), and I don't like to get cut of. Bills sometimes dissapear, kids playing and pulling them of etc. Hence when no bill I usually drive up to the PEA office to go pay in time.

This time they said something was not right in the system, so they could not say how much my bill was back then. They said wait for the bill!

When it came, the surprise was in the fact that the bill is for over 35,000 Baht, close to 7500 units.

Quickly checked my meter, the reading seems to be correct.

I usually have around 700 Baht/month.

15/45 amp meter. A quick calculation, even when running the 28 days Feb counts at the full 45 amps 24/7, I still would not have burned this much electric.

Am I happy I don't have auto payment through bank...

Will try to find out tomorrow whats up!

It looks like the meter is running normal, since the last meter reading I have averaged 6.2 units per day.

Now looking for my Jan bill/paymentslip to see how they came to 7500 something units for Feb...

sometimes the meter checker gets in a hurry an inputs the wrong numbers.

happened twice to us,you have to have them come out an re-read the meter.(make sure its a superviser who reads the meter)

one meter reader lost their job over this

sometimes the meter checker gets in a hurry an inputs the wrong numbers.

happened twice to us,you have to have them come out an re-read the meter.(make sure its a superviser who reads the meter)

one meter reader lost their job over this

The OP stated 'Quickly checked my meter, the reading seems to be correct.'

Maybe some electricity has been 'borrowed'?

Maybe a new billing policy: you must pay 3 years worth in advance; unused amount will be refund when canceling the service. wink.png

Seriously though, hopefully it's a billing glitch vs some huge, intermittent power drain/leakage.

Maybe a new billing policy: you must pay 3 years worth in advance; unused amount will be refund when canceling the service. wink.png

Seriously though, hopefully it's a billing glitch vs some huge, intermittent power drain/leakage.

Hey, after all they are the electricity hub of Asia

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624247-thailand-as-an-electricity-hub/

Definitely doesn't add up. That's 7.5 Megawatt-hour per month. or 1/4 MWH/day or 10.4kw/hour every day 24/7 which would be 47Amps. I would think something would have tripped with that load or the smell of wire burning. wink.png

Ha.

Found the problem.

For some reason the PEA decided to furnish me with a new (2nd hand) meter.

Looks like the new meter didn't get logged in the billing system, so when the meter reader came round and the 35000 Baht bill rolled out his little printer, he likely saw that this was impossible and didn't leave the bill at my house.

They eventually did sent out the bill per post (what I received yesterday) for the full amount!

Now rectified, am a happy camper as it has been reduced to 371 Baht, about half my average :lol:

As said, lucky I don't have direct debit, friend of mine had something similar happen and it proved to be a major pain to get his money back.

They actually wanted to hold on to the money for "future " bills. Was about 15 months worth of electricity in his case !!!

• Like 1

Am positively surprised the meter reader had the common sense to suspect something was foul...

Glad things worked out alright for you in the end.

Yeah,

imagine me going to 7/11 with the little bill and 35k Baht....