God(Dess) Help Me

infinity11

There is a

Start again please so we can understand. thumbsup.gif .

There is a sound stage at third road and soi excite.

I would now like to know when the fare will end.

Last year they set up twice, one time for about three weeks!!!!!

People staying near there get to hear the bands and speakers blaring for FREE!!!

What was not clear before?

wai2.gif

Edited by infinity11

There is a

People staying near there get to hear the bands and speakers blaring for FREE!!!

wai2.gif

Readers now understand. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

LOL good for that.

The low end (layman call it bass) is obscenely loud and it is not even seven.sick.gif

I know TIT.

I was also asking how to say when will this end in thai or simply, over when?

Might that be 'set muah arrii' - finished when?

Do any farang know when it will end???

Or is this a wait and see like most else?

Edited by infinity11

How do you say in thai finished when?

set muah arrii?

More context is better. I was at Tesco just now and it's quite a different experience from Tescos in my neck of the woods.. There was this Farang guy I think from Australia saying one word (I think it was English) to the guy in the butcher section, about something he wanted done with his meat. Not only did the Tesco guys not understand him, I tried to listen very closely to see if I could help, but I completely didn't understand him either! Weiirddddd..

So anyway, my Thai is pretty good but for me too I make sure I provide more context and not just a one-line statement or question. First say hello. This establishes that you're speaking Thai. Then say something about the Excite music. That establishes the topic. Then check if the person you're speaking to is still on the same page or has this deer in the headlights look. If he's all there then proceed and ask until what day they will be having music. (I'd provide this in Thai but the powers that be have pointed out that this is not allowed unless it's the Thai language forum.).

In short, using the above strategy you will get very far EVEN when not speaking Thai, but in clear English and in short sentences.

To be honest I get the feeling that many people dabbling with Thai language would do better focussing on speaking English in a way that's understood. And that includes picking a person who looks more likely to speak a bit of English; that's a skill too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Does anyone know how long I get to enjoy the blaring?

Wait.. I didn't even realize this before, but you may very well be the only person in the history of ,well, "history", who moved to Pattaya because of its tranquility!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

How do you say in thai finished when?

set muah arrii?

More context is better. I was at Tesco just now and it's quite a different experience from Tescos in my neck of the woods.. There was this Farang guy I think from Australia saying one word (I think it was English) to the guy in the butcher section, about something he wanted done with his meat. Not only did the Tesco guys not understand him, I tried to listen very closely to see if I could help, but I completely didn't understand him either! Weiirddddd..

So anyway, my Thai is pretty good but for me too I make sure I provide more context and not just a one-line statement or question. First say hello. This establishes that you're speaking Thai. Then say something about the Excite music. That establishes the topic. Then check if the person you're speaking to is still on the same page or has this deer in the headlights look. If he's all there then proceed and ask until what day they will be having music. (I'd provide this in Thai but the powers that be have pointed out that this is not allowed unless it's the Thai language forum.).

In short, using the above strategy you will get very far EVEN when not speaking Thai, but in clear English and in short sentences.

To be honest I get the feeling that many people dabbling with Thai language would do better focussing on speaking English in a way that's understood. And that includes picking a person who looks more likely to speak a bit of English; that's a skill too.

Excellent post, thank you.

Are you a REAL teacher?

Fell free to post some transliterations.

I'm not a teacher of any kind. smile.png

Assuming it's indeed a music event / fair / whatever then you can use 'ngan', meaning any kind of event. For example the upcoming Pattaya Music Festival in Thai is often prefixed with 'ngan', even though that doubles up with the word 'festival'. It's also difficult to pronounce for non-Thais as most Western languages don't have words starting with 'ng', plus a long 'aaa' vowel that English speakers often struggle with (but is easier for Germans, Dutch, etc.) .

So that could count against using it. (As a rule of thumb, it's best to stick to words you can pronounce. smile.png )

But anyway I'd ask something like 'ja mee ngan thueng wan nai khrap?' [ "will have event until day which" / "<they> will have the event until which day" ] ?

Feel free to just use 'music' instead. ( music = "plaeng" (pronounced Playng), or the more formal (and thus unexpected) "Dontree"). (Ja mee playng thueng wan nai khrap?)

Or cut it up in a conversation, that often works better than a single statement / question. Ask if they like the music, ask if they went to Excite to listen, then they will ask if you went, then you say that you can hear it in your room just fine, and then you naturally get to how long the thing will last. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

There is a

wai2.gif

usually last for 10-14 days and also would have some kind of market

• Like 1

There is a

wai2.gif

10-14 days.............just enough time for the poster to go on holiday.......and escape it....wai.gif

• Like 1

Assuming it's indeed a music event / fair / whatever then you can use 'ngan', meaning any kind of event. For example the upcoming Pattaya Music Festival in Thai is often prefixed with 'ngan', even though that doubles up with the word 'festival'. It's also difficult to pronounce for non-Thais as most Western languages don't have words starting with 'ng', plus a long 'aaa' vowel that English speakers often struggle with (but is easier for Germans, Dutch, etc.) .

So that could count against using it. (As a rule of thumb, it's best to stick to words you can pronounce. smile.png )

But anyway I'd ask something like 'ja mee ngan thueng wan nai khrap?' [ "will have event until day which" / "<they> will have the event until which day" ] ?

Feel free to just use 'music' instead. ( music = "plaeng" (pronounced Playng), or the more formal (and thus unexpected) "Dontree"). (Ja mee playng thueng wan nai khrap?)

Or cut it up in a conversation, that often works better than a single statement / question. Ask if they like the music, ask if they went to Excite to listen, then they will ask if you went, then you say that you can hear it in your room just fine, and then you naturally get to how long the thing will last. wink.png

Ngan, tone up down or flat?

You communication sensibilities are fantastic, how did you learn this stuff you speak of?

There is a

wai2.gif

Thanks!

I swear to god last year they came here more than once, and one time was for THREE weeks, unless a weekend simply felt that long. w00t.gif

But seriously i think one span was actually three weeks.

So why did i post this thread and ask?

One never knows!

Oh and the venue starts early and goes late, not to complain, too much. laugh.png

Edited by infinity11

I can live with it and adapt to it, i am not even the closest to it,

However i find this close to obscene how selfish and inconsiderate people can be, for what, some money?

Oh that is the way of the world, i forget.

I know it is also a cultural thing, and well if the Thais can sleep comfortably through it then fine.

I still find it some what amazing that this can go on.

God(dess) bless Thailand.

We live in the countryside 2 miles from the Temple......and still hear the early morning prayer chanting (if the wind is in the wrong direction)......And usually in the background a telephone ringing.....

What puzzles me who is calling a Temple at 4 am......(the farangs asking them to turn the volume down ??)

As my gf says "Thai people love noise"....and how !!!

• Like 1

Or cut it up in a conversation, that often works better than a single statement / question. Ask if they like the music, ask if they went to Excite to listen, then they will ask if you went, then you say that you can hear it in your room just fine, and then you naturally get to how long the thing will last. wink.png

Ngan, tone up down or flat?

You communication sensibilities are fantastic, how did you learn this stuff you speak of?

Flat.

Learned the of fashioned way, with books, and through talking with anyone who wouldn't (or couldn't) run away. :-)

• Like 1

While i am on it and since this may be the best place to vent:

Super loud for 6-9 hours each night and on top of that it sounds a heck of lot like the same 3-5 songs over and over and over, with some slight variations of tempo and rhythm and progressions, maybe even sometimes a key change, but man talk about lack of variety!!!

What is the percentage of thai songs in a minor key? 80%???

Why are they so sad and heart broken?

Don' they know it is the land of smiles???

Good news:

Mange to drop in and enjoy:

Cunum jeen 30 baht

!0 baht every item shpping

and

popcorn 20 baht

The croud is mostly thai but a bit weird, blue collar? not full of smiles or very friendly, perhaps they loose money gambing or palying the other games there.