Atm Fraud In Thailand

Tolley

Just to clear something up. I have several times withdrawn at once 30,000 baht. They were all 1,000 baht notes. I use a Citibank ATM card from Australia. The machines I did this at many times are: Bank of Asia at Carrefoure Pattaya Klang inside the home improvement centre and Tops Supermarket Pattaya Klang. I have also done it at Bangkok Bank opposite soi 6 Pattaya second road and Tops Supermarket Pattaya Klang. Occasionally (particularily with Bangkok Bank) when I request 30,000 they have a screen appear saying that my limit is 15,000, in that case I do not carry through with my transaction. I would guess that the machine is low on notes when that happens and I just go back the next day or use Bank of Asia and get it everytime, cheers.

Okay just to answer a few questions.

No i didn't go to the bank with her.

Her story is definitely true. She is not trying to hit me or anyone else up for the money. She is not a gambler or a drinker.

The 100,000 baht was taken over two days so it might have been in 3 or 4 transactions but that is not what the bank said and the bank didn't even give her a copy of the transactions so at this stage not sure how many transactions took place.

This is not the first time i have heard of such things happening in Thailand so i thought i would share the story so others are not caught out in the same way.

She contacted a lawyer yesterday afternoon and he is going to handle the matter.

Thanks for the reply but it still does not quite stack up.

If the bank said there were only two transactions, why do you surmise there “might” have been more?

Any ATM transactions would normally show as individual line items on an account. Did the lady not get her passbook updated?

I also wonder why anyone 'milking' an account would not have cleaned it out completely, but it appears they left ฿4,000 in the account?

I also wonder what a lawyer could do that the lady could not do herself at this stage... :o

I can only surmise on a few things here until i speak to her tonight but i think the person she initially contacted at the bank may have given her faulty advice or perhaps didn't know much. This would not be a surprise as the ways banks operate it is often hard to get the right answer. Often you have to speak to a few people to get what you want.

The fact is the money disappeared whether it went in 4 transactions or 2. She didn't get a copy of the transactions but was told verbally. The matter is being followed up.

Now whether you think this story is genuine or not doesn't really matter to me. WHat i would say is that there have been quite a number of similar cases both in Thailand and other countries and as a matter of precaution i wouldn't leave too much money in my account and i would also keep my daily limit low. Additionally it would be a good idea to try and only use ATMS inside banks.

I will update when i have more facts.