Why Is It Difficult To Sell A Cbr150R?

I am wondering why I haven’t had any success selling my 2011CBR150R. I

t is not even two years old, 19 months to be exact, has only about 4700km on the clock and is very clean.

It has always been garaged or was covered, looks shiny likea new bike, has no scratches or dents, no repairs or anything.

I've been advertising it since the beginning of the year, for 66,000 THB in January, for 60,000 THB in February, now for 59,000 THB; I
won't go lower than that. The bike is now 83,000 THB new where I live (Songkhla).

No calls! One Thai guy offered me 50K over the phone, upped it to 55K when he saw it. I declined.

I've lived here in TH for more than ten years, bought and sold two carbed Repsol CBRs, several Waves and Nouvos, a Kawasaki Boss 175, a Phantom 200 and a AX1 250.

It never took long to sell any of the bikes and I always got very close to what I asked for, sometimes only 15 to 20% under new price.

This is almost 30% off the new price and no takers!

There are other CBRs for sale, all have higher mileage, some have scratches, small accidents, and they aren't much cheaper. They don’t seem to sell, either.

On the English speaking sites I frequent t There aren't many for sale, it's not that there are lots to choose from!

A CBR250 in the same condition sells for around 85,000 THB, there are quite a few on sale, that’s less than the 24K you save on my cheaper bike.

Songkhla is a bit off the beaten track but the other bikes I sold in Prachuap Kiri Khan province, that's not Bangkok, either. I have it advertised in Phuket now, can deliver.

Is 59K too much to ask for an almost new CBR?

I wonder if anyone else had/has a hard time selling his CBR,
too.

Edited by Rolo Tomazi

Guess there are too many CBR150 for sale and not many people who want to buy them any more since there are more and more 250cc bikes out there. Many buyers will look for a CBR250 then i guess.

Buying a bike for 80k and selling it for 55k after 19 months isn't that bad imo. Its a Honda, but really not a rare bike here in Thailand :)

In my experience Thai people won't pay more for low mileage. Scratches can be fixed for a few hundred baht, and a few weeks later it will be scratched again anyway. Don't expect top dollar for a perfect example, it's a 2 year old bike that's available everywhere.

• Like 1

Well I've sold several bikes, three years old, 15 to 25K km, mechanically sound, for a decent price.

A few thousand over half price for an immaculate bike with less than 5000km is not acceptable IMO so I'm going to keep it!

What I don't get is that there were no calls, no emails, no interest in the little CBR, not even tire kickers. Like a new model is going to come out next month.

Here's one for sale in Nakhon Si Thammarat - also 2011 but 12,500km and a scratched exhaust cover, looks like he laid it down. 55,000 THB.

A good deal on Ko Samui, same low mileage as mine, 5000km, but a 2012 model, good as new, 65,000 THB, save 18K over a new one.

A red one, not even three months old, 200 km, not even broken in! 75,000 THB. For the 8K you save you could get Pirellis and an aftermarket slip-on.

Another red one in Phuket, 2011, "some scratches", 21,000km, 50,000 THB.

None of these bikes sold.

The question going through alot of peoples minds is probably : Should i just put the extra money into a 250? Or if im going to spend 70k on a used 150 shouldnt i just put another 10k in and get a new bike instead?

This is exactly the reason why i did not get a new 150.

The CBRs are an interesting pair - 150cc for 83K and 250cc for 105K (correct me if I'm wrong).

But I think most people know if they want a 150 or a 250. Most farang go for the 250of course, which is small for them, but here in TH lots of people want a small, light bike because they are afraid of handling a "big" 250. Many adults ride 125cc Waves so a 150cc DOHC watercooled 150 with sport-bike looks and a clutch is already a statement.

The ones who have the cash go for a new one, most of them finance because that's the only way they can get their hands on one, they don't have 80 or 100K cash sitting around.

But there should be plenty of people who would buy a used bike in good comdition with low mileage for a decent price. Of course 10K off is not impressive, might as well get a new one, but 24K off a 83K bike should be tempting.

Some suggest 50K is a fair price; that would be 60% of the original price for a bike less than 2 years old with only 5K km - sorry, I disagree.

That would mean a CBR250, if it is new 105K, would be 63K in the same condition. A comparable Ninja 250, maybe 155K new, would sell within a week for 93K.

A Nouvo, new let's say 60K, would be 36K - well if you see a clean 2011 Nouvo135 with 5K km for that price, let me know, I take it!

i was gonna sell my crf when it was 4 months old there is no way i would have got much more than 110k for it ,since i paid 140k for it i decided better to keep it and sell it when its 12-18 months old as it would probably sell for around the same price whether it was 3 months old or 12 months old,bad time for 150 cc now ,since there release you have had the 250 honda released and the new ninja 250 plus a whole host of new scooters available

Some suggest 50K is a fair price; that would be 60% of the original

price for a bike less than 2 years old with only 5K km - sorry, I

disagree.

That would mean a CBR250, if it is new 105K, would be 63K in the same

condition. A comparable Ninja 250, maybe 155K new, would sell within a

week for 93K.

A Nouvo, new let's say 60K, would be 36K - well if you see a clean

2011 Nouvo135 with 5K km for that price, let me know, I take it!

You can't compare or generalize that.

A 250 Ninja, Elegance and even a CBR 250 are much more popular than a CBR 150.

As mentioned above, I think 90% of Farangs would chose the 250 above the 150, if they decide to buy a "sports-style" bike.

And a good 250 is not really that much more expensive.

Guess there are too many CBR150 for sale and not many people who want to buy them any more since there are more and more 250cc bikes out there. Many buyers will look for a CBR250 then i guess.

Buying a bike for 80k and selling it for 55k after 19 months isn't that bad imo. Its a Honda, but really not a rare bike here in Thailand smile.png

Yes i just sold my Lifan 250 cc cruiser within 2 weeks for B55,000 ,and it was 17 months old with just 4,000 km on the clock .New price was B78,000

PS ,despite certain people saying you will never sell a Lifan and will almost have to give it away ,i had lots of inquiries .

Edited by anto
  • Like 2

The bottom line is its worth what someone will pay. I would check trade in value and add a little. i see lots of asking prices but no one knows selling prices.

I paid something like 110,000 (memory lapse) for a dtracker 2012 with 700 kilos.

Tell me about tit,

I cant sell a vintage musical instrument that is very rare in thailand for less than the going rate on ebay or

my former country's price.

The s/h market is confusing here, I did it for years and years at home with lots of success, here not!

I've sent smaller thing home with friends to sell, its easier,

Generalizing here: Thai's dont want/like to buy from farang unless it is a seriously low in price.

Rolo Tomazi - if I didn't already have a 2011 CBR150R, I would buy your 2011 CBR150R immediately. I'm in Canada. I have a 2011 CBR250R AND a 2011 CBR150R (which is really a 2011 CBR125R with the Thai 150R engine swapped into it). Canada does not import the CBR150R. What I've discovered is that the CBR150R is so much more fun and engaging to ride than the CBR250R. I never ride my CBR250R anymore and I'm currently trying to sell it. Bigger displacement doesn't necessarily mean "more fun to ride". The CBR250R is really torquey - but feels relatively boring to ride - lacks an exciting top end.

There have been lots of inquiries here in Canada asking how one might be able to acquire the Thai 150R engine so a swap into the 125R chassis could be made. I was lucky enough to buy a used bike from Thailand and have just the engine and necessary components for the swap shipped to me. Around $2000 + shipping (CND) for the engine, throttle body, and other essentials is a fair deal when you can now buy a new CBR125R for $2299 (CND - one of the best buys currently in a new motorcycle in Canada in my opinion). It is a direct swap.

I know this doesn't help your cause - but in a perfect world you would sell the bike to a Canadian CBR125R owner, crate the engine and essentials and ship it out - then sell off all the extra parts of the bike (e.g., fuel tank, wheels, seat, fairings, etc) and probably make a profit off of it!

Mike

• Like 1

Tell me about tit,

I cant sell a vintage musical instrument that is very rare in thailand for less than the going rate on ebay or

my former country's price.

The s/h market is confusing here, I did it for years and years at home with lots of success, here not!

I've sent smaller thing home with friends to sell, its easier,

Generalizing here: Thai's dont want/like to buy from farang unless it is a seriously low in price.

But i guess you target the Foreigner market in Thailand with your vintage musical instrument, same as you do at home. Maybe your pice isn't right.

in some shops the cbr 150 was 83k and others had the cbr 250cc for 99k

they are just too similar and close in price to make the 150 a good buy

now everyones dumping their 250's for 500's and in a year or two they will probably dump the 500's

if a cheap 800 or 1000 is released

• Like 1

They don't say what year & I am not savy about cbr150's but there is one

with mod's in the classified section with 16k on the clock selling

for 39,900 baht

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/very-light-speedy-racer-213588.html

Another with 15k on the clock for 45,000 baht or best offer

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/cbr-150-for-sale-excellent-condition-213708.html

Edited by mania

They don't say what year & I am not savy about cbr150's but there is one

with mod's in the classified section with 16k on the clock selling

for 39,900 baht

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/very-light-speedy-racer-213588.html

Another with 15k on the clock for 45,000 baht or best offer

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/cbr-150-for-sale-excellent-condition-213708.html

Thanks for posting these ads - both bikes are the old carbed version with old styling and skinny tires, they were new around 65,000 THB. Good luck selling them, who wants an old model when the new one is so much better? I've sold my old Repsol CBR150s with the same mileage years ago for 30K - no way these guys will get close to what they want. (Like me.) :-)

• Like 1

Rolo Tomazi - if I didn't already have a 2011 CBR150R, I would buy your 2011 CBR150R immediately. I'm in Canada. I have a 2011 CBR250R AND a 2011 CBR150R (which is really a 2011 CBR125R with the Thai 150R engine swapped into it). Canada does not import the CBR150R. What I've discovered is that the CBR150R is so much more fun and engaging to ride than the CBR250R. I never ride my CBR250R anymore and I'm currently trying to sell it. Bigger displacement doesn't necessarily mean "more fun to ride". The CBR250R is really torquey - but feels relatively boring to ride - lacks an exciting top end.

There have been lots of inquiries here in Canada asking how one might be able to acquire the Thai 150R engine so a swap into the 125R chassis could be made. I was lucky enough to buy a used bike from Thailand and have just the engine and necessary components for the swap shipped to me. Around $2000 + shipping (CND) for the engine, throttle body, and other essentials is a fair deal when you can now buy a new CBR125R for $2299 (CND - one of the best buys currently in a new motorcycle in Canada in my opinion). It is a direct swap.

I know this doesn't help your cause - but in a perfect world you would sell the bike to a Canadian CBR125R owner, crate the engine and essentials and ship it out - then sell off all the extra parts of the bike (e.g., fuel tank, wheels, seat, fairings, etc) and probably make a profit off of it!

Mike

Right, you're not helping me much but you make my day by saying you would buy it...

People selling their Lifans for a decent price in two weeks and I don't get a call for a quality CBR - something's wrong with this picture!

Interesting that you say "bigger bikes doesn't mean more fun tom ride" - I agree, I've had 1400cc cruisers and 1000cc BMWs and found out that a light single can be more fun to ride.

A 250 Ninja can be quicker and more fun than a 650 - as long as you don't go touring.

Buying a bike for 80k and selling it for 55k after 19 months isn't that bad imo. Its a Honda, but really not a rare bike here in Thailand smile.png

Yes i just sold my Lifan 250 cc cruiser within 2 weeks for B55,000 ,and it was 17 months old with just 4,000 km on the clock .New price was B78,000

PS ,despite certain people saying you will never sell a Lifan and will almost have to give it away ,i had lots of inquiries .

That says a lot about cruiser riders...

Thanks for posting these ads - both bikes are the old carbed version with old styling and skinny tires, they were new around 65,000 THB. Good luck selling them, who wants an old model when the new one is so much better? I've sold my old Repsol CBR150s with the same mileage years ago for 30K - no way these guys will get close to what they want. (Like me.) :-)

I see, yes like I said I am not cbr150 savvy but figured they must be older models with prices so low.

So what year did they change over to FI & better tires?

Not in the market but curious.

Are they the ones marked cbr150R?

Edited by mania

The old carbed CBR150R was quite an amazing little bike, I had two of them and really liked them. Officially 18 hp at 12,000rpm but real world power was maybe 15hp, still enough to go fast.

What I didn't like was the suspension, the tires and brakes, too flimsy for a bike with that top speed. A bit small and too light, it felt like a moskito. But the best bike for little money to go fast with. I did several 600 and 700km days on them, take a highway and pin the throttle open.

Honda has addressed exactly these faults with the new version that came out in Oct 10 as a 2011 model: fuel injection, it now takes as much (little) as my Nouvo 135. The whole styling is better, it is roomier, has a longer wheelbase, bigger tank, better suspension and real big tires that make this little thing handle like a 250. The old one felt like a Wave going into turns.

This added some weight, which it needed. It is a vastly better bike than the old one which was astonishingly good. The price also went up quite a bit, though, but it's worth every baht!

• Like 2

A bit small and too light, it felt like a moskito. But the best bike for little money to go fast with. I did several 600 and 700km days on them, take a highway and pin the throttle open.

Pin the throttle open and what? Get shaken to bits? Can't think of anything much more uncomfortable to do on a highway besides get run over.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 1

Second hand cars and bikes are very overpriced here compared to the rest of the world. Mainly due to a shortage of second hand and new vehicles being out of reach to the masses.

Now there are much more vehicles on the roads and second hand for sale. Finance for thais and foreigners is easier than the past too.

Seems like the markets are just evwning out.

Personally I would pay 80k for a brand new bike rather than 60k for second hand. My focus was new since not enough discount in second hand. But my cbr was second hand since it was only 30k for carbed.

If i had 60k now to buy a cbr with it would be a new 250 on finance rather than a fully paid second hand 150.