1 Storey House Versus 2 Storey House

ThiAmo

Thank you all.

@krisb: Yes, with coolthaihouse.com you can become a veritable Thai builder!

@ lopburi3: How could I not listen to a man of your huge experience!

@thaicbr: I would only be a 20 minutes ride away from Ubon Town. This isn’t at the back of beyond regarding the various needs an elderly person is dependent

on. Thanks, but I wouldn’t like to close myself and the lady in a gated 24 hr secured baan near a 10 million people sinking metropole… No, I didn’t spend much time in Thailand yet; returning soon for some months during the rainy season will further enlighten me about the feasibility of my dream. Thanks again for budget thoughts, but let's says that these are a minor problem…

@ IMHO: The house you describe is exactly the one the lady would like to build. I can’t turn a deaf year to the 1st paragraph of what you write as well as to similar posts received before. Not sure whether my foto upload of the wishful object was successful, I am trying to repeat it.

Alf

Photo worked smile.png

It's hard to tell from that whether it's wood upstairs, or whether it's cladding over brick & cement (i.e. SmartWood/Conwood/Shera). If that's only cladding, that's fine - cladding improves insulation from heat and sound wink.png

However the wood window frames and cheap fibreboard roofing probably indicates upstairs is just wood - in which case this is a perfect example of a house that will be dilapidated in a decade or so - steer clear, unless you fell like tearing it down and doing it all over again when you're in your 80's wink.png

Edited by IMHO

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alf,

If I read it right, the father inlaw is is giving you some land to build on but not separating the land with paper work. (even if there was paper work it would only improve your situation slightly)

I do not think the giving of this land to you is as generous as you think, he is giving you wasteland, if you live happy ever after with his daughter, he has a building contract and a nice house for his daughter on his land, or hers but not yours, if you split with his daughter he has the same. He cant loose anything, you can.

Move somewhere away from the family, preferably rent first or buy a house somewhere, no building or family hassle. You are putting all your eggs in one basket, you are 68 stay in control. If you feel pressured, delay things as suggested by a previous poster, and back out the thai way.

If she cares about you a nice house somewhere with you should not be a problem.

1 or 2 storeys is your choice to make from some of the above posting views.

Good luck

Alf,

If I read it right, the father inlaw is is giving you some land to build on but not separating the land with paper work. (even if there was paper work it would only improve your situation slightly)

I do not think the giving of this land to you is as generous as you think, he is giving you wasteland, if you live happy ever after with his daughter, he has a building contract and a nice house for his daughter on his land, or hers but not yours, if you split with his daughter he has the same. He cant loose anything, you can.

Move somewhere away from the family, preferably rent first or buy a house somewhere, no building or family hassle. You are putting all your eggs in one basket, you are 68 stay in control. If you feel pressured, delay things as suggested by a previous poster, and back out the thai way.

Good luck

I don't really understand why the scaremongering here. He's a foreigner so can never own any of the land he builds on, period. However he will own the house and that gives him legal protections under Thai law. No different form a Thai person building on land donated by dad, but without the expense of transferring the Chanote. The only real consideration you might want to make in this circumstance is a clear will that gives the land to the correct kin.

Alf,

Good luck

I don't really understand why the scaremongering here. He's a foreigner so can never own any of the land he builds on, period. However he will own the house and that gives him legal protections under Thai law. No different form a Thai person building on land donated by dad, but without the expense of transferring the Chanote. The only real consideration you might want to make in this circumstance is a clear will that gives the land to the correct kin.

No point owning the house if all the Neighbors (family)hate you and want you out..especially at 70+

Just suggesting he thinks with big brain not the little one.

• Like 1

Alf,

Good luck

No point owning the house if all the Neighbors (family)hate you and want you out..especially at 70+

Just suggesting he thinks with big brain not the little one.

Doh! Just went back and read the OP again, he says "GF". Don't think I've ever heard of someone planning on building a house before getting married - must be a farang thing wink.png

OK, revised advice: Rent a house in Ubon and live together until you have learnt to understand Isaan language, understand more about the Thai ways, and have a better understanding of your GF. Then decide if you want to marry. Then decide if Ubon or even Thailand is where you want to settle down. Then talk about what you're going to build wink.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

If you are just a couple people a single story Built up(whatever height the water rises to 7 a meter & 1/2 to keep it out of water. A single story definitely has advantages. Your elctric will be minimal. We just paid 985 baht 2 months ago & 1146 for this month Hot season. 2 bdr. 2 bath huge kitchen & living room. both Bdrs have air we use a couple hours at night 3 hrs. in the extreme heat to sleep. 15-45 amp hookup hot water etc. Our neighbors pay triple that for their 2 story houses. The problem I hate in 2 Bedrooms up here the 2nd floor is a very nice furnace, even with superblock bricks or the like. The plumbing is way easier & less problems to lay in. Our new house 117 meters with driveway all tiled (Damn neighbors dog walked on the cement while it was setting up) so we put in tile. Lots of landscaping . Now all the trees give the windows filtered light & keep's the heat down. A 2 story would be an extra astronomical price for trees that are that high to start. This is our 3rd house & will probably build 2 more before I am wore out. As others posted.make sure you use any possible wind coming through by placing windows to crossflow. Issan impossible no wind. Cheap land but Diablos kitchen.We have 1.6 mill. into a very nice premium build. The only thing we didn't put in is a c-pac roof cause the dweebs still don't get it that you don't drill into the valley pan . It causes leaks the standard corrugated roofsFiber & cement mix - not metal just got upgraded & they last longer than C-Pac style roofs. And it saves about 125,000 on the metal & tile.Just saying. Don't get a trylon roof they developed problems with the material cracking in the heat. I didn't have that problem but our contractor did a couple houses that Trylon had to re-pay to reroof. Our area isn't cheap either 20 km. out of Pattaya & 130% or more for land out here.1.2 you should be able to build a pretty fair house . I am from the U.S. & it is true do not spend any more than you can afford to lose Bro. Unless you really know the girl you can lose the farm. My girl is 15 years younger & we have a good thing going. We buy build sell live in the houses for a while. Neither of us are going to turn evil on each other but I have seen the majority go south & leave the Farang holding the bag with nothing in it. We got at this price a drill truck that dug down 3.5 meters by1/2 a meter wide pylons for our build Ground built up !/2 a meter & pylons about a meter high. You probably need more in your area. Good luck! I meant to mention unless you are areal freak for her family try to have some distance from the family so you have some privacy. Some family up here love to take over your pad on a re-occuring cycle

Edited by Beardog

@IMHO,

"in which case this is a perfect example of a house that will be
dilapidated in a decade or so - steer clear, unless you fell like
tearing it down and doing it all over again when you're in your 80's"

Thanks, with all the due respect, but isn't it rather hazardous to insinuate that indigenous Isaan Thai builders don't have but a house durability-horizon of merely a decade? wink.png

@mjcmjc

Thanks, here is quite a good general guidance: http://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/building-real-estate-thailand.html .

You know, for the time being I leave the majority of "my eggs" in my home country "basket", i.e. the dimension of my envisaged financial investment in Thailand as outlined in previous posts is kind of negligible.

@thaicbr:

"No point owning the house if all the Neighbors (family)hate you and want you out..especially at 70+"

Thanks, but why for God's sake should they hate a person who has already begun showing his genuine and practical interest in their general welfare and their community?

@Beardog

Thanks, I shall add your suggestions to those already received by all the other kind writers.

As indicated with my post #83, I intend to take a timeout from this thread now. I'll return when I decide that there are developments which are of general interest for the forum users.

Many thanks again, also to those of you I could not answer personally.

So long

Alf

@IMHO,

Thanks, with all the due respect, but isn't it rather hazardous to insinuate that indigenous Isaan Thai builders don't have but a house durability-horizon of merely a decade? wink.png

No reflection on the builder - they only ever build with the clients wants and pays for, and the guy responsible for creating the original design is long gone now (probably died of heat exposure) ;)

I am sorry I forgot to mention in the post(no edit feature now on old post) In addition to house placement on the property as to not have your house directly facing the sun is high ceilings. All our houses we build the ceilings are at least 3.3 meters high. Whatever you do don't make the typical Thai mistake & built a sweltering hobbit hole. if it isn't high enough when you stand up the furnace affect will knock you down. Most hateful way to spoil a possible good build.

ThiAmo.."Thanks, but why for God's sake should they hate a person who has already begun showing his genuine and practical interest in their general welfare and their community?"

Because you are a means to an end.. That's all.

I made my statement on the information given by you.. You have not lived in Thailand for any length of time you were introduced to the lady by a family member who seems to have a few problems. The lady and family in question have limited English skills. They tried getting you to build a house even before you have lived here.. Sorry but it does not sound good. I have heard 1st hand accounts of things going wrong... and sometimes it's not pretty.

It follows the tried and tested path that many have fallen into. Don't forget you own nothing here when it comes to land.. Yes you can get an ursefruct (spelling!) which would allow you to live there.. You can have the house in your name. But if the family have decided they want their house back good luck on that.

I may be mistaken.. only you can decide, but go in with eyes WIDE open. Good luck and i wish you well.

the other posters idea of coming over an renting for a year is a good one, see if you and the lady are compatible.

Edited by thaicbr

Another protip you do not want to ignore: If you use Shera wood trim or fencing flooring etc. Prime with the 600 baht clear liquid contact primer. It is the stinkiest glue smell but if you do not use on Shera products when you paint the fake wood & the rain pounds on it your paint will lift. Conwood you do not need to paint....It comes colored & in retrospect I would have laid down the extra 75% for the fencing to avoid sanding & refinishing later. I was in the U.S. when the paint was laid & found out later it was not primed. The investment for 600 baht or 1200 baht if you need twice as much is way worth it. ThiAmo your getting some real good advice on this post. DIY & bike forum have the best posters that are usually square shooters that care about people in general opposed to the providence forums that just love to stir the pot!

Edited by Beardog

@IMHO,

@mjcmjc

Thanks, here is quite a good general guidance: http://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/building-real-estate-thailand.html .

You know, for the time being I leave the majority of "my eggs" in my home country "basket", i.e. the dimension of my envisaged financial investment in Thailand as outlined in previous posts is kind of negligible.

@thaicbr:

"No point owning the house if all the Neighbors (family)hate you and want you out..especially at 70+"

Thanks, but why for God's sake should they hate a person who has already begun showing his genuine and practical interest in their general welfare and their community?

@Beardog

Thanks, I shall add your suggestions to those already received by all the other kind writers.

As indicated with my post #83, I intend to take a timeout from this thread now. I'll return when I decide that there are developments which are of general interest for the forum users.

Many thanks again, also to those of you I could not answer personally.

So long

Alf

@thaicbr:

Thanks,

but why for God's sake should they hate a person who has already begun

showing his genuine and practical interest in their general welfare and

their community?

I will keep this simple, you dont have a clue.

Post this in the general forum and you would be ripped to shreds.

To answer your question, you are nothing more than a, "samong ai kwai" translated that means buffalo brain, thats why they wouldnt respect you, no Thai man would even consider doing what you intend.

You have already posted prices her father quoted you, I have given links before to other Thai sites, let the other builders build your house. 2 million tops, if you tee rak or her father cant match the price, alarm bells should be ringing.