1 Storey House Versus 2 Storey House

ThiAmo

Lets cut to the chase here, this has nothing to do with building a house.

Its to do with an OAP looking for a caregiver, he has various options, the one presented to him just now is, pay in advance for a house as payment for services that may or may not be rendered.

Kh Alf, had best ask himself, <deleted> does he want, a caregiver with a house bought in advance, or does he seek a caregiver, whom he can pay for on a montly basis.

Please tell us, how and where did you meet this lady?

Heres an offer for you, next time you come to Thailand, bring the lady in question to Bkk, meet up with me, I will translate for free (well ok not quite, buy me a couple of beers), the mrs by the way can sniff out these gold diggers, she will also be in attendance.

Be aware, you might not like what you hear, sorry to shatter your illusions.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again!

Please allow me to come back to the question of the land I am asked to buy from the father. (I had a second thought about it today.)

In response to a question of David48: Miss has 6 brothers and sisters. No Sin Sot paid to Miss, no gold. (The acquaintance lasts since 2-3 months. )

All have already gotten land and/or dwellings in heritage from the (living) parents, Miss included, who not already got these 2 rais of said field but also her house inclusive farm land. In consideration of this fact, isn’it so that donating these other 2 rais of said field to her would be a favouring (a preferential treatment) of her
person, which in all probability would be contested by her siblings? Paying off the father, the value of these 2 rais remains with him and will (together with his other assets) probably be passed on to all his children at the event of his death (or otherwise distributed according to his last will).

From this point of view, doesn’t this payment make sense after all?

In response to a question of rgs2001uk: Her said cousin, who runs a shop together with her European boyfriend, spoke to me about her this winter in Phuket. I let the lady come twice from Isaan and went back with her to her moobaan where I staid 1 week. Met all her family, relatives and friends and was the only farang at the Makha Bucha festival where they wanted me to dance at the head of the processionbiggrin.png! Thanks a lot, who knows whether I'll come back to your offer as regards interpreter services!

Just received another email from my lady. She wants to make the landfill now, now, now!! Of course like Derk she knows that afterwards you have to wait... Derk writes of 2015 as the year of construction... I'll be 70. I would like to do it for her and her offspring. Caretaker thoughts play a much miner role.

The number of postings in this thread pleading for a one storey or for a two storey house are roughly equal. I leave this point open for the moment and try, as Derk is putting it, to sort out all the other things before.

Thanks very much for today's other interesting postings too!

Alf

post-171828-0-27938400-1363296327_thumb.

Alf

You want to build a house at 4x the going rate for a woman half your age that you have only met a couple of times over a period of two months in a rural area you have never lived.

What's wrong with you?

• Like 2

Alf

You want to build a house at 4x the going rate for a woman half your age that you have only met a couple of times over a period of two months in a rural area you have never lived.

What's wrong with you?

Jezu !! I guess the " DIY " forum should be in the general topics now. cheesy.gif

By the way for 4mil a 3 storey building with a lift that takes it underground at night is what I would do. whistling.gif

Alf

What's wrong with you?

Jezu !! I guess the " DIY " forum should be in the general topics now. cheesy.gif

By the way for 4mil a 3 storey building with a lift that takes it underground at night is what I would do. whistling.gif

He is getting off lightly on this forum, the family are taking him for a ride, over on general he would be crucified.

No fool like an old fool.

How much is the cousin standing to make out of this little deal?

His money, his life, press on, better build a 5 storey row of shophouses, big faces all round.

• Like 1

so many questions you open up now.

1/ Are you officially married ... or do you just have a ceremony at the Village?

2/ Your partner already has 2 Rai land ... why not build there? 2 Rai is large land to build upon.

3/ Do you know that unless you have an agreement to live at the property, you can out on the street in one day after the last payment to the builder if your partner wants you to be?

4/ She want's to do landfill now! Say no, stop, be strong ... it's your money.

I know you came to us with the question'1 or 2 story home' but ...

None of us are really saying don't build a house ... but I and some of us are saying ...

* You are paying way too much money

* No need to buy the extra land

* You have no security of tenure at the property ... none what soever. If, and I say 'If' you can prove that your money built the house, you do own it ... but can you transport it away.

* If you are looking for long term care options ... there are many smarter ways to do it then what you are contemplating.

Don't think it can't happen to you ... it's happened before, it will happen again in the future ... just don't let it happen to you.

Land of course can be different, but 400K for 2 rai farmland?

Our Soi motorbike guy buys Isaan farmland for 50K per rai. Of course maybe somewhere more outside and worse land, but he buys it from people he doesn't know, not from relatives.

So that sounds expensive for me.

4-5 Million and the father is the builder?

Either it will be very huge or you get ripped off.

As well if the father is the builder and say everyone is honest. If something goes wrong, how do you complain? Not paying the invoice until the crack in the wall/the water that comes thru the floor or similar is fixed? What will your wife do if there is a dispute between you and your father?

Maybe try to convince her that you want to stay near the beach....at 4-5 plus 400 K=4.5-5.5 Million you should get something nice there as well.

1/ Are you officially married ... or do you just have a ceremony at the Village?

2/ Your partner already has 2 Rai land ... why not build there? 2 Rai is large land to build upon.

3/ Do you know that unless you have an agreement to live at the property, you can out on the street in one day after the last payment to the builder if your partner wants you to be?

I know you came to us with the question'1 or 2 story home' but ...

None of us are really saying don't build a house ... but I and some of us are saying ...

* You are paying way too much money

* No need to buy the extra land

* You have no security of tenure at the property ... none what soever. If, and I say 'If' you can prove that your money built the house, you do own it ... but can you transport it away.

* If you are looking for long term care options ... there are many smarter ways to do it then what you are contemplating.

Don't think it can't happen to you ... it's happened before, it will happen again in the future ... just don't let it happen to you.

I am willing to wager, neither the girl or her father have told him , the house can be in his name.

When applying for the planning permission (there will be planning permission wont there?) at the local planning department who will issue the permit for the house to be built, Of course the father being a builder knows all about this.

If the OP isnt married it leaves him various options, usufruct or lease,

I dont know which option is best for him, the real estate experts can answer that one.

The reason everything is moving so quickly, they have to act now, before the OP finds out there are various options open to him, I guarantee, if the OP parts with money, he will never see it again.

• Like 2

I am willing to wager, neither the girl or her father have told him , the house can be in his name.

When applying for the planning permission (there will be planning permission wont there?) at the local planning department who will issue the permit for the house to be built, Of course the father being a builder knows all about this.

I dont know which option is best for him, the real estate experts can answer that one.

The reason everything is moving so quickly, they have to act now, before the OP finds out there are various options open to him, I guarantee, if the OP parts with money, he will never see it again.

Glad that you mentioned this.

While I know property inside out ... I've had little exposure to it in Thailand and the usufruct or lease options I've never had to deal with ... hence my subtly in asking about his 'marriage' because, as I understand it ... if they have just had a Cermony and not officially married then he can get a usufruct over the property, thus safeguarding his tenure.

But if he is officially married he can not?

God, I feel for this man.

He really needs to be so careful here as he could end up with naught if the relationship falters.

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU, DAVID48, BUT…

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR EXCELLENT AND PRECISE ANALYSIS OF THE SITUATION!

THIS WAS JUST A “PROCESSION” AT THE MAGHA PUJA PUBLIC HOLIDAY WHEN BUDDHISTS (AND

ONE FARANG IN THIS CASE smile.png GO TO THE TEMPLE TO PERFORM MERIT-MAKING ACTIVITIES. NO OFFICIAL NOR MERELY
BUDDHIST MARRIAGE.

YOU’RE RIGHT, THIS IS ALSO WHAT I PROPOSED WHILST VISITING THE FIELD. BUT OBVIOUSLY LADY
WOULD LIKE TO FULFILL THE BIG DREAM OF HER LIFE OF A NICE BIG HOUSE WITH A
LARGE FRUIT TREE PLANTATION AROUND IT. ONCE AND FOR ALL EVERYTHING CLEARED AND
PUT ON THE TABLE I SHALL FULFILL HER THIS DREAM. NOT BEFORE!

3/ Do you know that unless you have an agreement to live at the property, you can out

on the street in one day after the last payment to the builder if your partner wants you to be?

NO, I DID NOT KNOW THAT! LIKE MANY OTHER THINGS NEITHER, WHICH HAVE BEEN SAID HERE.

I’LL ACT ON YOUR ADVICE, DAVID, AND ON THAT OF ALL THE OTHERS. I’LL HEDGE MY BETS. DON’T WANT TO BE

AN „OLD FOOL“smile.png

Crazy member: Maybe try to convince her that you want to stay near the beach....at 4-5 plus 400 K=4.5-5.5 Million you should

get something nice there as well.

THANK YOU, SOMETHING I’M ALSO TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION.CLIMATE!!

rgs2001uk: I am willing to wager, neither the girl or her father have told him , the house can be in his name.

THAT’S A FACT. MAYBE ONE JUST DIDN’T THINK ABOUT IT AT THE OCCASION.

When applying for the planning permission (there will be planning permission wont there?) at the local planning
department who will issue the permit for the house to be built, Of course the father being a builder knows all about this.

WIDOWED

THANK YOU, I’LL TRY TO FIND A GOOD LAWYER IN UBON TO HELP ME AND UNDERSTAND ALL THIS WHEN I’LL RETURN THERE

IN SUMMER AFTER THE HOT SEASON HAS PASSED AND RAIN WILL SOAK THE FAMOUS FIELD.

The reason everything is moving so quickly, they have to act now, before the OP finds out there are various options open to

him, I guarantee, if the OP parts with money, he will never see it again.

I HOPE YOU’RE NOT RIGHT.

David48: He really needs to be so careful here as he could end up with naught if the relationship falters.

THANK YOU, DEAR DAVID, I THINK I’VE LEARNED THE LESSON.

YOU’LL ALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO GET INFORMED IN DUE COURSE ABOUT THE REACTION OF THE LADY.

VERY GRATEFUL TO ALL OF YOU!

ALF

Lots of advice coming from all directions but amongst it all I would say one piece is worth considering very carefully.

4 to 5 million baht for your wife's father to build a house in the sticks on her own land is a budget even a government official would blanche at.

Get him to check his sums again.

Edited by bigbamboo

Alf ... what is great is that you are actually reading and comprehending what we are advising ... this puts you ahead of many others ... thumbsup.gif

No-one here has all the answers ... but many of us has experienced maybe a part of the issues you face and each are trying to assist you.

What is good news is that you are not married. Don't think not 'officially married' ... you are not married legally. Culturally, yes you are ... but not legally ... and that opens up an entirely new situation for you.

Start your reading with this ... usefruct-done

Other suggested reading, when you have a minute is ... four-ways-to-lose-your-property-in-thailand .. maybe the first couple of pages!

This one is done by the Boss of Thai Visa ... the-importance-of-preparing-a-will-in-thailand

paying-for-land-1pm-today

** seek-advice-on-building-a-new-house ... I intend to build a new concrete house on my Thai GF's land and plan to draw up a long term rental contract so I can stay on the land indefinitely.

Maybe others can add to your essential reading.

Always ... good luck.

THANK YOU, I’LL TRY TO FIND A GOOD LAWYER IN UBON TO HELP ME AND UNDERSTAND ALL THIS WHEN I’LL RETURN THERE

IN SUMMER AFTER THE HOT SEASON HAS PASSED AND RAIN WILL SOAK THE FAMOUS FIELD.

ALF

Bit of a problem here Alf, Thai lawyers generally useless. They will also often conspire with your wife/gf to act in her interests.

"Thai rak Thai". No Thai will ever protect a foreigners interests from another Thai ....... no matter who hires them.

(Not always true, of course, but your chances of finding one to represent your interests is about 1 in 100)

FIL as builder.

Just not a good idea, you can't sack your FIL if he gets it wrong, or overspends by 10x.

Better to hire a builder you have some chance of controlling, not that you have much chance anyway.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Focus anyone?

I believe his question was about one vs two story houses, not good vs bad Thai girl and family! Hope he worked that one out before now...also sounds like a lot of sore losers who didn't work it out for themselves in time!

I had a one story house built with an addition over the last two years in northeren, rual Thailand with rice fields on all sides.

My thoughst on one vs two story houses have changed. If I were I to do it again I would go with two stories...why?

PRIVACY: Thai people have a habit of sticking their head in bedroom the window for an early morning conversation..if you are still busy in bed with the wife or not!

An upstairs bedroom solves this problem

Thai people also think nothing about just walking into your house for a visit...Why Knock? Then the stories about the crazy perverted farang who walks around naked ( in his own home) fly through the village

FLOODING; Is also a good consideration. But, I think a better solution to this problem is to return to the old style of building the house on "stilts" or pillars. This not only protects the house and electrical systems from water damage, but it provides a cool shadey place out doors in the warmer seasons and a dry outdoor place and a covered place to park vehicles and other items in the wet season.

* I have seen some newer Thai houses built on pilars, but with inly about four feet of head room under the first floor. A poor use of space I think, unless you are Thai and less than four feet tall!

The view and throwing water ballons from upstairs are pretty good reasons.

Pick a good wife, then build up from there!

So back on topic, build cost 2 storey house, 3 beds, 3 showers, 140m2 ........ build only price about 900kbht.

Mine will be finished in 4 months.

Sounds a really good price Tommo. Are you going to start a topic or post piccies? It would be very useful for other members to see what you can get for that sort of money. In particular the OP of this one.

• Like 1

So back on topic, build cost 2 storey house, 3 beds, 3 showers, 140m2 ........ build only price about 900kbht.

Mine will be finished in 4 months.

Please report back in four months, won't be surprised if your price ends up 20% higher than what your say.....

The main reason for a two story house is lack of space to build a one story one, pretty simple actually. Most mooban lots are under 100 talang square wah, not leaving you much yard space if you try and fit a one story into it

• 1 month later...

Dear David48 et al

I am touched by the altruistic interest expressed in this forum. The world is not that cold! Thank you very much.

As stated in my last post I have suspended the start of this housing project in extremis. You all have brought me home too many variables, uncertainties and inconsistencies, only to be ignored.

However I can’t but be happy and proud as concerns the reaction of the lady to my decision: mature, understanding, calm, reasoned. No problem at all for her continuing living in her modest Thai home for the (hopefully) next 40 years of her life. But she is longing to spend a (hopefully) large number of them together with the farang she fell in love with. For this purpose she wishes to prepare him a dwelling in which he feels comfortable and really at home.

Being a practical thinking and acting woman she calculated the global cost of our plan of living together, in response to a correspondent original query of mine. In these 3-4 million (not 4-5 million) she thought of the first stone being teared down from the old mother’s house to be removed, to „the“ mango tree she will plant till the little teaspoon of the new cutlery she will have to acquire. In the original 4-5 million stated here there is also a new car included, a car for us, not a private one for her, she can’t drive (yet) …

As regards the type of home to be built I am growing warm towards a 2 storey building, a solution that many of the writers here have praised with convincing arguments. Why shouldn’t it be possibile for instance to install a banister-lift in case of need even in Thailand? I have attached a foto of the type of home the lady wishes to build for us.

What’s next?

Mid-June after the great Eastern-heat will have (hopefully) passed I’ll return to my Thai friends with a Non-Immigrant-Visa-O in the pocket, we’ll sit together and get the project on the way. On the table amongst other things will be all the useful notes which I’ve made on the basis of your excellent advice. For this purpose I’ll rent a recently built 1 storey house of the sister of her already mentioned cousin, so I’ll be physically near to find a solution to the problems of the latter girl as well.

Old you are only on the condition that you don’t have any plans for the future anymore …

If you give me the permission, there will be a continuation of my „case“ on ThaiVisa-forum in the near future.

Owing all of you a debt of gratitude.

Alf

Keep it simple, build single story. Much much less complicated in Issan. If anything build a bigger single story.

Seperate bit of advice is the website coolthaihouse.com. Greatest source of info for house building in Thailand. Check it out. Good luck!

Why shouldn’t it be possibile for instance to install a banister-lift in case of need even in Thailand?

You are aware that such things are often not available and when they are usually cost prohibitive. This is not exactly elderly care hub (perhaps next year). Even if found you would still likely face the electric low voltage issues and total lack of anyone knowing anything about how to install/operate or repair. But you can have a two story house if you wish; perhaps make plans on conversion of a section downstairs later if required for master bedroom. But in my experience upstairs is hot but down stairs is much cooler as ground floor does not heat up so far better for living in Thailand.

ThiAmo.. You say you are 68. Have you thought about health care provisions out where the house will be built. where is the nearest hospital.. whats it like rural hospital or large hospital.

Without trying to sound rude.. I would SERIOUSLY listen to some of the comments on hear.. even though sometimes they can come across strongly.

The cousin introduced you and now it seems that "miss" is trying to pay her back.

In reality could you live in the boonies, with language difficulties and shortage of home comforts. Food etc.

I could.. But certainly would not want to and i'm only 47biggrin.png

Personally i would think about yourself.. where do you want to live.. example on the outskirts of Bkk you could get a brand new detached house on about 55-60 talang wha with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and double carport for about 2.89 million baht. in a gated 24hr secured Baan.

here is an example house behind the moo ban green.

post-62652-0-35259700-1367428892_thumb.j

Ps: Don't forget to budget for the furniture and aircons, Kitchens as well....Can be good quality and reasonable price..Can bloody well overpriced.

Check out the local Thai style furniture shops as well as Index, Ikea and the like.

really depends on what you want.. but just a reasonable kitchen to potter around in can be 20k - 50k

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

It might have already been said, but a 2 storey house with wood walls upstairs (i.e. typical Isaan house) is a terrible investment. Upstairs is always stupidly hot, and unless you're using teak wood ($$$), you can almost guarantee upstairs will be derelict within 10-15 years.

There's pros and cons for 1 storey and 2 story brick and tile houses though. Given your age, I'd probably recommend 1 storey though - that 2nd storey is not going to stay convenient for you for too long...

As a rough guide, cost to build a brick and tile house in Isaan using mid-end materials, and including labour:

1 storey house:

9,500 Baht sqm

2 Storey house:

12,000 Baht sqm downstairs

15,000 Baht sqm upstairs

if you're wanting to use cheap materials (e.g. non TIS steel, cheapest cement, cheapest tiles, cheapest paint), subtract up to 25%.

if you want to use top-shelf materials, add up to 100%.

The only downside to our single story is people having to pass through the living room on the way to the bathroom if all bedrooms aren't en suite, also tv noise if elderly or kids are sleeping.

if you use decent quality doors and superblocks.. not much of a problem.

also if you design it to have one of the bathrooms near the other rooms ..no problem.

BUT given that. If the 2 storey house is built with an elderly person in mind then i wide, deep stairs and maybe a downstairs ensuite room that can be changed to a bedroom..

Personally i would still not like a house in the Boonies Let her keep the 2 rai and get a house near services. Hospital , food etc.

OP. have you actually lived in Thailand for an extended period before?

Thank you all.

@krisb: Yes, with coolthaihouse.com you can become a veritable Thai builder!

@ lopburi3: How could I not listen to a man of your huge experience!

@thaicbr: I would only be a 20 minutes ride away from Ubon Town. This isn’t at the back of beyond regarding the various needs an elderly person is dependent
on. Thanks, but I wouldn’t like to close myself and the lady in a gated 24 hr secured baan near a 10 million people sinking metropole… No, I didn’t spend much time in Thailand yet; returning soon for some months during the rainy season will further enlighten me about the feasibility of my dream. Thanks again for budget thoughts, but let's says that these are a minor problem…

@ IMHO: The house you describe is exactly the one the lady would like to build. I can’t turn a deaf year to the 1st paragraph of what you write as well as to similar posts received before. Not sure whether my foto upload of the wishful object was successful, I am trying to repeat it.

Alf

post-171828-0-89610200-1367515426_thumb.