1 Storey House Versus 2 Storey House

ThiAmo

Hi all,

we are taking into consideration the building of a middle sized house in the Ubon Ratchathani region, in an abandoned rice field of about 4 rai. Gf would like a 2 storey house, downstairs all in concrete, upstairs partly in wood, whilst the few new farang houses which I have seen there are practically all 1 storey houses.

Could possibily anyone give me some advice concerning general advantages and disadvantages of the two different architectural styles as they are applied in the Isaan?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Alf

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to know who is paying for everything?

Before we can advise on the best course of action.

Well my first plan of action would be, to send the GIRLFRIEND to every bank within a 100km radius and see how much any bank is willing to loan her.

The amount they are willing to loan will dictate the style/size of house which can be built.

Until you have that information, do nothing.

in an abandoned rice field of about 4 rai

There is no such thing as abandoned land, it will belong to someone, even if its only gov't land, best you get a copy of the land deed/title.

Once you get that, take a photo and post it up on here, dont worry we can read Thai, we are looking for whats written in the top RH side.

Once we know the type of land, that will dictate whether to proceed with the house build.

While your G/F is at the bank ask about a loan to purchase the land as well.

Dont be like many and purchase land the family already own.

Sorry for being cynical, but have heard it all before, its called CYA.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot to all, I'm lucky to get good advise from experienced "Isaaners".

David48: the "abandoned rice field" does indicate water ..

Sorry for this inexact expression. The field belongs to the partner's family,
it has not been cultivated for some time. The water (flooding) problem
is not greater than elsewhere in the region, although it would be
indispensable to build a ground elevation for the house.

David48: Are you just housing

yourself and partner?
  • yourself and partner and your children?
  • yourself and partner and the extended family?

Just the partner, her 11-year old son and myself. The rest of the (inner
circle of the) family lives about 10 km away. So it seems there is no
need for a 2nd floor for the purpose of gaining additional privacy only.
But one never knowssmile.png!

rgs2001uk:

The 2 storey will be about double the price of a single storey,

Double storey in a paddy field, sounds like a farang mansion, make sure its being done for practical reasons and not for face.

Whats the rush?

Dont be like many and purchase land the family already own.

Partner speaks of a possible budget for the house building of 4-5 mn baht.

2 of the 4 rai belong to the partner. The other two to her father, who
asks 0,4 mn. from me. This equals a transfer of property within the
family from father to daughter. I realize that this modus operandi is
diametrically opposed to what you advise me.

What's the rush from her part? I don't know, but very interestingly, you are right! It can't
go quickly enough! By the way, partner's father is THE moobaan-builder,
just built the new moobaan-wat. Also realizing projects in Ubon Town.

ThommoPhysicist: We need to know who is paying for everything?

Farang.

PS

I'm 68, partner 40. Both widowed.

Did not succeed to upload foto of field in question

So now we know.

Do not pay any money for the land at all.

Tradition is parents donate to daughter, not daughter buys.

Seeing a 28 year age difference ....... build as cheap as you can, large 2 bedroom house about 500-600kbht for the costs.

(3 bedroom, 2 storey normal detached house would cost about 1Mbht to have built, no more.)

As her father looks to be the builder mates rates would reduce that to around 300kbht.

Yes so OK, you are really wealthy and you can afford to give away 'however much' with no regrets, go ahead.

Do not under any circumstances build an 'Issan princess castle' for 4M, a gift for her family, and very profitable build for dad.

(This would be build cost 2M, profit for dad 2M.)

PS

Every Thai girl you meet in this age range is 'widowed'. Ask to see her husbands death certificate, if fact ask to see her marriage certificate.

Half of them were never married, the other half have their real husband working as your gardener.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Dont know whats happening since the latest software update on here.

anyway,

Partner speaks of a possible budget for the house building of 4-5 mn baht.

Sorry thats a red flag right there.

Where did she get these figures from?

As mentioned above, the land usually the family will donate the land to the daughter.

How much are they asking for the land per rai and where is it?

A two storey house can be built for about 10k psm, so two storey 200sm house, about 2 million.

OK house building costs, I know cos I'm wife is trying to buy one near CM at the moment.

post-152992-0-34400600-1363057863_thumb.

This 3 bed, 3 shower, 2 storey house.

Land 500k (55tw)

Build 900k (150m2)

Developer/builder profit 400k

Total with all fees and expenses 1.8M

4-5M would be a hell of a house!

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Maybe she is looking for 300sqm @ 15000 per meter, that would be around 4,500,000.smile.png

(I believe he said 400,000 for two rai from the father.)

At that price I hope it would include the cost of, the crystal chandiliers to light up the painings on the wall, lets not forget the cost of the marble statuettes standing stately in the hall.

5 million baht for a farang mansion, taking the piss.

Understand the girls reasoning, makes perfect sense, 2 storey 300sm would be a nice size for the family to move into on the farangs demise.

The beauty of it, hasnt cost a red cent, imagine someone buying land you already own, they give you money then give the land back to you. Then pay for the privelege of building a house on it.

As for leaving something for the girl, where is the girl living now?,

Have you seen what happens to these farang mansions on his sad demise, they are usually offered for sale just so the girl/family can get their hands on some cash.

Usually the house is situated in the back of beyond making it almost ompossible to sell, unless its to someone in the village, and they certainly aint paying the crazy prices being asked, not that they could afford to in the first place.

If you want to leave something for the girl, leave her a lump sum, after taking care of your own family first.

Dont these guys have pensions that they could leave to the girl.

Maybe she is looking for 300sqm @ 15000 per meter, that would be around 4,500,000.smile.png

(I believe he said 400,000 for two rai from the father.)

At that price I hope it would include the cost of, the crystal chandiliers to light up the painings on the wall, lets not forget the cost of the marble statuettes standing stately in the hall.

5 million baht for a farang mansion, taking the piss.

Understand the girls reasoning, makes perfect sense, 2 storey 300sm would be a nice size for the family to move into on the farangs demise.

The beauty of it, hasnt cost a red cent, imagine someone buying land you already own, they give you money then give the land back to you. Then pay for the privelege of building a house on it.

As for leaving something for the girl, where is the girl living now?,

Have you seen what happens to these farang mansions on his sad demise, they are usually offered for sale just so the girl/family can get their hands on some cash.

Usually the house is situated in the back of beyond making it almost ompossible to sell, unless its to someone in the village, and they certainly aint paying the crazy prices being asked, not that they could afford to in the first place.

If you want to leave something for the girl, leave her a lump sum, after taking care of your own family first.

Dont these guys have pensions that they could leave to the girl.

Always interesting to read about people building houses, so they can leave some security behind.

It seems the moment they have built it, they start planning to die?

My vote for 2-storey

Added privacy - have 2 bedrooms/study upstairs; leave the windows open all have bug mesh fitted, nice airflow

The views - we're in a fruitgrowing area, house is on built-up land, upstairs rooms have a view over the few nearby houses and trees, balconies either side of house off bedrooms

An 'escape', not keen on the open-plan single floor lifestyle, can get away from kitchen noise, tv, daughter/friends etc if I want to rather than have to shut myself into a room downstairs; equally daughter/her friends can head upstairs to get away from us.

And an added bonus - Exercise - compulsory if having a forgetful day.

Keys? 'must be upstairs'.

Back down again.

Cellphone? - 'oh that's upstairs too'

• Like 2

One can surely point to examples where things went wrong but to lump everyone into the same stereotype is a bit harsh. Some people have very good reasons for what they do and end up with very favorable results.

Some people don’t want to live in a shack and consider their wives, their own family, not just some girl. At 68 I would like to think this guy is old enough to make up his own mind. He may not have the option of waiting around forever, given his age. I say get on with it, while he still can.

I decided I would rather live out the rest of my life in a house of our own design than in my Bangkok condo. Same price, just very different in size and lifestyle.

I guess I could understand a 2-story house if you were surrounded by other houses and want to see over them. Still the chances are you would be looking at other people’s roofs.

Stair climbing may not be the best or safest form of exercise after a certain age and this guy is pushing 70. Our open-plan single floor has great views and no noise but I can see how that might not be true for everyone.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

Something you might want to consider is the extra maintenance required on a 2 storey home I have seen so many houses in Thailand where the gutters fill up with muck, and don't get cleaned out because of access difficulties. Rainwater can't run off, causing the gutter to rust and buckle.

Even if I was determined to keep my home in A1 condition, I wouldn't care too much about balancing on the top of a ladder 2 storeys above terra firma. Especially if I was 68 years old.

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 1

Looks like the OP has run for the hills!

Can you blame him?

If I were the OP, I would do the following,

tell the family your cash is tied (Thaid) up in a long term bond, let Khun Por build the house and when its complete you will pay for all costs.

Now watch the reaction, oooiieeeee, farang roo mot, tam mai farang kee niaw.

Translation of the above, why doesnt this dumb farang believe us.

Best of luck to the OP, I see suckers like you come and go every day.

Anyway dont worry OP, was talking to a good American friend of mine, he said good ol Uncle Ted had heard of your plight, he was so touched he wrote a song about it, here it is in all its glory, dedicated to you,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo6IJxh130U

Plair wa, farang mai mee man samong

A few of you have made merit today, giving this guy some solid advice, not to mention a wake up call. Hope he listens!

Sadly, in my experience, they never do, they all believe " my girl is different" or "she is not the same as all the rest"

Would be intereresting to know where the OP met his teerak, on line or from one of her friends?

Again many thanks to all of you who take the time to have a look at my „case“. And thumbs up for ThaiVisa!

In order to exclude a priori possible misunderstandings or erroneous assumptions here some more facts:

• Partner and her family members are
    respected people, playing an important and supporting role in MooBaan social life.

• Partner lives in a very modest (but completely built in concrete) Isaan farmer-house, built and donated to her by her father. If
    I offer her a new home (surely, built by her father, of course)smile.png she would „give“ her hitherto Baan to her other
    18-year old son, to whom she already transferred the responsability of the farm work and of whom (without me) she would be dependent financially in an insecure future.

• The place where the new house would come to stand lies in the Amphoe LaoSuaKok, near the border to Amphoe Mueang
    Ubon Ratchathani, about 20-30 minutes of car ride to Ubon City. Direct and good road access, electricity, existing private drinking water „catchment“ in the field as well in the former mother’s house, which on it’s part would be teared down,very quiet, beautiful, green and natural environment, no plans for workshops etc., two or three other farang homes not far away. Idyllic, calm and peaceful. Partner would like to realize a fruit tree plantation around the house.

My intention: Provide security and

fulfilling the great and irrepressibleJ
wish of a new home in favour of a wonderful, unspoiled, cooperative,
responsable and hard working woman (and her offspring) whom I had the great
privilege getting to know in my old days. Trying to participate in MooBaan life and contributing to the
various projects of reasonable life improvement there. Possible but frightening
alternative for me (sooner or later): Moving
to a retirement home in Europe.

I can’t
oversee your unanimous opinion as regards the rather elevated budget framework
which is presented to me. I shall try to get some input from the partner as to
why their calculation is situated at nearly the double of a similar baan
project in the Isaan. Should the reason lie mainly in
excellent and safe building quality I would not object to go along with it.

Your very appreciated postings have created what
Goethe would have called “Two souls alas! are dwelling in my breast”J.

Among other useful advice from other writers, cycloneJ
wrote for example:

My vote for 2-storey

Added privacy - have 2 bedrooms/study upstairs; leave
the windows open all have bug mesh fitted, nice airflow

The views -
we're in a fruitgrowing area, house is on built-up land, upstairs rooms
have a view over the few nearby houses and trees, balconies either side of
house off bedrooms

An 'escape', not keen on the open-plan single floor
lifestyle, can get away from kitchen noise, tv, daughter/friends etc if I want
to rather than have to shut myself into a room downstairs; equally daughter/her
friends can head upstairs to get away from us.

And an added bonus - Exercise - compulsory if having a
forgetful day.

A convincing
opposite view came from villagefarang:

We went for single story, high ceiling, open floor
plan. The house feels bigger because all
the space is visible and accessible on the same level. Without extended family to deal with we did
not need or want cubed off spaces for privacy.
Upstairs always seems to be dead space most of the day. It is usually hotter than the downstairs and
seldom visited during the day. With four rai you have plenty of
space, so no need to go for two stories.

We built on
five rai by digging a one rai pond and using the dirt to buildup a two rai area
for the house and garden. That
still left us with space for future development on the remaining land.

Undeniably, both versions score with convincing
arguments.

I am asking myself: If I were a native person from the
Isaan, to which version would I probably give the preference and why?

My partner would like to make the ground buildup NOW
before the rainy season starts.

• Making a landfill now without knowing
    which type of baan to build later???

• Best season to start a buildup?

• How much time should you concede to
    the buildup to settle before starting to build the baan?

Khop khun mak to everybody!

Alf

• Like 1

Just from reading the OP's comments directly above overleaf is that Alf is not building the house for himself.

He is building the house for his wife.

It's an emotive build and again, reading between the lines, one built on the assumption that his partner will care for him into his ripe old age and the house is reward for doing so.

For me, this does change the equation somewhat and changes the argument a little.

Edited by David48

^^

That being said ... I do question the price of the build ... especially if the price was suggested before the style of construction and the homes footprint were decided. I'm a qualified electrician, have a Bachelor of Business in Property, owned a Real Estate Firm and worked in a Real-Estate Valuers firm for 5 years

The question of should the OP actually 'pay' the father for the land ... again questionable.

What we don't know is how many sisters and brothers the OP's wife has.

If she has none or the sisters and brothers already have land or have been
gifted land from the parents ... then there is, in my opinion, and an
element of Robin Hood about the request for being paid by the father for the land.

However, if there is only one available piece of land and there is competition from siblings for the land in question, then the request for payment does present in a different light.

While only remotely related, but does show some intent ... assuming a Sin Sot
was paid ... exactly how much was paid in cash, how much was returned
to the OP and how much gold was given and who now holds that gold?

• Like 1

^^

Just as a background to my situation, my Thai gf does not come from Issan

but from the greater Bangkok area.

There is always an expectation that a Sin Sot will be paid.

Recently we took the Farm Parents on a holiday to Chiang Rai and Mai.

Total cost for the 4 of us ... circa 30,000 Baht.

On return, the Farm Father offered us a small part of his land on which to build a home.

Really, only a house site is being offered and there is no separate title being
attached ... but he is offering this to a man who has a long life in
front of him (me) and the offer was made without being asked for by us.

Plus there was no hint of a payment being requested.

He has made the same offer to his other 2 daughters ... one of whom has built on the property.

The personal story bit above can be summarised as every person's story is
different. We (Farangs) can be treated equally with Thais if we are
smart about it.

My observational experience on Thai relationships (Thai - Thai, Thai - Farnag)

is that they are like Ducks ... a calm style above the waters
surface ... but there is a lot going on below the waters surface which
you don't see.

In a Thai - Farnag ... there is sometimes a lot hidden from us.

Someone, not me, once wrote ... trust, but verify.

Given the right circumstances ... wise words indeed.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Yes, OP, did you pay Sin Sot already? As that is what's traditionally used to ensure her financial stability.

Baht-400,000 for 2 rai of land in Ubon Ratchathani, is this the going rate? Are there gold deposits there or something else that I'm missing?

To the OP, you mentioned the alternative of winding up in a retirement home in Europe; I fear you're being overly emotional, if this is the basis for your willingness to part with so much money, despite the overwhelming evidence that you're overpaying. If you do go ahead with the build at the prices you've quoted, I hope you still have savings of 2 or 3 times that left for yourself, in case you find yourself persona non grata a year or two from now. If you're going 'all in' so to speak, a retirement home in Europe may seem like an unattainable luxury when this family finishes with you.

Sorry to be so damn cynical, but the evidence you've presented has alarm bells going off. Don't you hear them?

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 1