Thailand Most Popular For Danish Tourists

webfact

Thailand most popular for Danish tourists
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

d.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Even though more and more Danes make their way to Caribbean destinations such as Punta Cana, Mexico or Aruba, Thailand is still the preferred destination overseas.

In 2012 167.118 Danes spent their holiday in the Land of Smiles – almost twice as many as ten years ago. In comparison, 129.174 Danes travelled to Gran Canaria and 84.058 to Tenerife.

The big attraction in Thailand is still Phuket. The hotels have more than 42.000 rooms and another 4.000 is planned within the next three years. Even though Phuket is a favourite for the Danes, more and more Danes find their way to more quiet places like Khao Lak in the mainland,” Torben Andersen from Spies travels says.

At the moment Phuket Airport is expanding with a new terminal to give more room for the 8 million passengers who pass the terminal every year.
Below are the development in Danish travellers to Thailand.

2002: 84.618
2004: 87.611
2006: 124.150
2008: 151.903
2010: 150.300
2011: 159.620
2012: 167.118

Also the neighbouring countries of Denmark send thousands and thousands to Thailand every year. 359.144 Swedish tourists travelled to Thailand in 2012 making it the countries fifth largest visitor.

Source: http://scandasia.com/thailand-most-popular-for-danish-tourists/

-- ScandAsia 2013-03-11

No no no... these must be fake tourists... only Russians and Indians still holidaying in Thailand according to TV experts whistling.gif

Those TV experts are not "wrong". The 167,000 tourists from Denmark are not that significant if one looks at the overall numbers. There were also 2.8million from China And about 600,000 from Russia. Even the Philippines provides more visitors at 280,000+. Are you aware that over 1million Indians visit Thailand now?

It is wonderful that the Danish still come. Everyone loves the Danes especially when they are in bathing attire. I wish millions of them were visiting, but Denmark is a little country and its contribution to Thailand's tourist economy is not statistically relevant. Thailand's tourist destinations would be idyllic if they were filled with the Danish, but sadly they are not and we are stuck with tourists that are not as sexy, well behaved or desirable.

Totally agree with you...

Many Danes come for longer periods than the other tourists and they appreciate the warmer weather and quite a few have purchased condo's for when they do come for months on end. Good for them. Thailand still has attraction for a cheap holiday destination despite all its ridiculous political issues.

No no no... these must be fake tourists... only Russians and Indians still holidaying in Thailand according to TV experts whistling.gif

Those TV experts are not "wrong". The 167,000 tourists from Denmark are not that significant if one looks at the overall numbers. There were also 2.8million from China And about 600,000 from Russia. Even the Philippines provides more visitors at 280,000+. Are you aware that over 1million Indians visit Thailand now?

It is wonderful that the Danish still come. Everyone loves the Danes especially when they are in bathing attire. I wish millions of them were visiting, but Denmark is a little country and its contribution to Thailand's tourist economy is not statistically relevant. Thailand's tourist destinations would be idyllic if they were filled with the Danish, but sadly they are not and we are stuck with tourists that are not as sexy, well behaved or desirable.

'sexy, well behaved, desirable'?

Are we talking about the men or the women?rolleyes.gif

BTW I do consider the 'mishap' three Danish youngsters had with a Dutch drunk lady an aberration. Most Danish are just as law abiding, friendly and well behaved as lots of other tourists from other Nations.wai.gif

PS in a soft voice and fearing the whiplash, may I just point out that although no more 'young' and handsome, I'm a good proof of the old adage that men tend to age more gracefully than women

Edited by rubl

Being a Dane myself I talked to a few Danish tourists I meet around the Kingdom and they come here for different reasons depending on age - gender - material status (like all tourist from different countries).

Older Danish couple I chatted with in Pattaya: Do you like Patts I asked: No not really but we use it as base for our travels (bus - train) to all parts of Thailand, because it's cheap and central location. They stay app. 6 month pr year, rent an apartment.

Older single Danish guy in Pattaya (drunk): This is paradise, love it here, he told me that I am a lucky bastard living here full time. He was drunk for his whole holiday and never left Pattaya, busy whoring and drinking, he-he.

Most love the tropical weather, it's really depressing in the winter time in Denmark, rain/snow and in between, strong winds, sun raises at 0900 and sets at 1600, I can't say that I miss it, noo sir.

Errr...where do I say there is no increase in tourists from these regions?

My comment was aimed at TV experts who year after year deride TAT figures saying western tourist numbers are way down, Europeans don't come to Thailand anymore, everyone is going to Vietnam or cambodia, etc. They know this because their mate who owns a bar in Patts/Phuket told them so...

I completely agree with you there is a massive influx of tourists from developing countries, what I am saying is contrary to popular belief westerners are still coming too.