Is The Price Negotiable At Bumrungrad

Scott123

Scott123,

I was quoted 150k baht for an operation to rectify a detached retina at Bumrangrad. The operation ended up costing 186k baht and I still have to go back for some follow up treatment quoted at 30k baht.

While definately a first class hospital it is quite pricey. Spoke to another guy from up my way who had the same operation at another hospital and he paid just under half the price that I did. Pays to shop around a bit.

But still much cheaper than getting the same procedure done in Oz.

Good luck

Prices per se are not negotiable, however depending on what it is for sometimes there are ways to reduce costs. For example, if it involves being admitted to the hopital, you can ask about less expensive room options and also whether it is possible to reduce the length of stay by coming in daily and staying at a guesthouse nearby....getting he routine lab work done elsewhere etc. If you let the doctor know that cost is a consideration, they can advise accordingly.

However, the best way to reduce cost is to go elsewhere. Unless you have an unusual need which only they (or an equally expensive hospital) can meet, or a particular wish to see a specific doctor on their staff, you will do fine at a fraction of the cost somewhere like Phayathai 2 Hospital.

I had hand surgery at Phayathai 2 for about 14,000 baht -- quote at Burungrad was 50,000 - 75,000. Same procedure, and (in this particular case) a better surgeon at Phayathai.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sezzo

Sorry to hear about your eye problem. I had the same in 2001 and also went to Bumrungrad. Apparently, Rutnin is a better option, but when you’re losing sight, you don’t piss about.

I’m just curious why your op cost that much. Mine was nearer 80K but only 20% detached needing a 3 nights stay. Was your eye worse and so needed more treatment or are prices so variable at Bumrungrad?

Sorry, it’s shitty to talk about prices for such a thing so…My mate had the same problem in the UK where we have free healthcare, sort of. He waited a week with a 100% detached retina for an op before seeing sense (oo the pun) and going private. Years later he still isn’t OK because of waiting so long to get treated. B186K is well worth it.

When I got a quote at Samitivej recently for a plastic shoulder joint, the good doctor didn't even consider having me sleep there; he'll have me sleep at St. Louis (hospital, not city ). His quote of 350,000 complete, was close to the rough quote at Bumrungrad (350K-400K). Okay, so in American terms that's only $9,000, and shoulder reconstructions are not something they do at the nearest corner hospital.

Dental prices are surely negotiable. The best dental clinic in Chiang Mai would start at one price for a denture (like 4,000 baht) and accept 3,200. That may not be much of a discount from original price, but the dentist in Houston, Texas gets 3,300 DOLLARS (132,000 baht).

Back to the topic, I never thought of negotiating at Samitivej. Can you?

It seems that prices for all purchases in Thailand are negotiable. I wonder if a doctor at Bumrungrad gives you a price quote, can you counter offer/negotiate?

Ask your Thai friends about possible discounts. Some might be shareholders who are entitled to discounts at the hospitals. Never hurts to ask.

I got once a discount because I paied American Express, what was a big surprise (yes discount not extra price).

I am sure all prices are negotiable, but you are in a weak position. What price do I get if you fix my retina+1 new knee??

At a Dentist, sure there it is easier, but if you have a serious problem how you can fight and the docs are also maybe not used to it.

I got 30 % at a dentist for a kind of surgery in Austria where are only fix prices, I told him cash money, no invoice, yes or no?

Worked well

Health care is a business and as long as they can make money they are willing to talk. I got one minor operation down by 50%.

A big chunk, sometimes most, of the fee will go to the hospital. A lot of doctors work in more than one hospital and sometimes you can get the doctor you want for half the price at another hospital, just check with your doctor. The difference in price lies in the hospitals fee, the doctor makes roughly the same.

Sure they got you in a weak position but if you are healthy enough to walk out and get another price tell them that's what you are going to do and they may just drop the price 10-20% right there.

after a motorbike accident you might be a very weak position, but I know one guy who could get the price down with a couple of broken bones in Samut Prakarn without speaking Thai...

Health care is a business and as long as they can make money they are willing to talk. I got one minor operation down by 50%.

A big chunk, sometimes most, of the fee will go to the hospital. A lot of doctors work in more than one hospital and sometimes you can get the doctor you want for half the price at another hospital, just check with your doctor. The difference in price lies in the hospitals fee, the doctor makes roughly the same.

Sure they got you in a weak position but if you are healthy enough to walk out and get another price tell them that's what you are going to do and they may just drop the price 10-20% right there.