Nissan Pulsar Five-Door Hatch Launched In Thailand

george

Nissan Pulsar five-door hatch launched in Thailand
nissan-pulsar-2013.jpg

The Nissan Pulsar five-door hatchback has been launched in Thailand. The Pulsar, which we first saw as the new Nissan Tiida from Auto Shanghai 2011, is essentially a hatchback version of the new Nissan Sylphy. We covered the Thai launch of the new Sylphy last August – click here for full details and pics.

The C-segment hatchback is 320 mm shorter than its sedan sibling, but retains the long 2,700 mm wheelbase for lots of rear legroom. The Pulsar’s wheelbase length is 100 mm longer than the roomy old Latio hatch’s, and this should translate to superior cabin space over European hatchbacks like the Volkswagen Golf and Ford Focus.

The Pulsar may look sportier than the Sylphy, but there’s no added firepower under the hood, no 1.6L turbo for the Thai market. Like the sedan, it can be had with either an improved HR16DE or the new MRA8DE.

The Twin C-VTC 1.6 litre unit makes 116 PS and 154 Nm of torque, while the 1.8 litre (with Twin C-VTC and a “diamond-like” carbon coating) pushes out 131 PS and 174 Nm of torque from a low 3,600 rpm. No basic manual option as per Sylphy – the Pulsar is CVT-only.

Billed as “the premium sports hatchback” in the Land of Smiles, the Pulsar is priced from 776,000 baht to 976,000 baht for the range topping 1.8V Sunroof Navi. Besides sunroof and sat-nav, the costliest Pulsar also comes with goodies like bi-xenon projector headlamps, 17-inch wheels, cruise control, Bluetooth, keyless entry and reverse camera.

Source: http://paultan.org/2013/03/11/nissan-pulsar-hatchback-thailand/

I like the styling but why does Thailand always get watered down versions of cars? Is it a tax thing? I was determined my wife should trade in her Aveo when I first heard the Sonic was coming (available elsewhere with a 1.4turbo or 1.8) yet in Thailand it's just a dismal 1.4 - hardly a hot-hatch.

I honestly do not understand the car makers here in Thailand.

SUV and trucks are the best sellers, so why does not Nissan bring the SUV like the Murano or Dualis?!

Mazda could bring CX5,

Just too many models are not sold here and those not sold are actually the ones this market would love

Back to OP, never liked the pulsar, this one looks too much like a Tida, just because its shorter or longer, still does not change the fact that it looks like a Tida

• Like 1

Have bought German cars 3 times and very dissappointed with the engineering all 3 times...2 VW and 1 BMW.

I have also had a BMW company car and endless niggly faults and bad service at the dealers...

Now buy Japanese and happier...

Need more diesel cars in Thailand ...

• Like 1

Have bought German cars 3 times and very dissappointed with the engineering all 3 times...2 VW and 1 BMW.

I have also had a BMW company car and endless niggly faults and bad service at the dealers...

Now buy Japanese and happier...

Need more diesel cars in Thailand ...

And that relates to Nissan pulsar or OP how?

In the past I wondered why people bought so expensive German cars, but now I understand !

All these Japanese car look the same and are ugly, I really prefer spending 2 millions more and have something a bit nice !

SUV and trucks are the best sellers, so why does not Nissan bring the SUV like the Murano or Dualis?!

Mazda could bring CX5,

Just too many models are not sold here and those not sold are actually the ones this market would love

Back to OP, never liked the pulsar, this one looks too much like a Tida, just because its shorter or longer, still does not change the fact that it looks like a Tida

The Murano would cost a gazillion baht in 3.5L form due to huge tax spike for large engine cars. The 2.5L diesel would be a better seller but it is essentially a one model car, with essentially all options fitted as standard.

I have a 3.5L and love it.

Only thing that lets this car down is , the crap colour range. What is it with Thai's that they think Silver and Gold are 2 must haves on your car? The Red is "old man" and as for the Purple (Grey) according to Nissan, who the hell would want that ? White really is the only "21 century" option on this thing ! Get some European colour on it and then it WOULD be a great little car.

In the past I wondered why people bought so expensive German cars, but now I understand !

All these Japanese car look the same and are ugly, I really prefer spending 2 millions more and have something a bit nice !

Anything nice looking a GTi or diesel car or an estate....... even 10 years ago a hatchback returns the same answer.. Thais do not like, would not buy.... not that they have any option in Thai built cars..

Oddly many Thais I talk to and Thai friend would love more options........ So cannot work out why Thai built cars must be the dullest on the planet.

Now that would be refreshing, The all new Mitsubishi Triton ? the GR-HEV would be something different, but od course it is only a Concept, and would automatically be classed as Thais would not buy......... so if made do not expect it here

Anything nice looking a GTi or diesel car or an estate....... even 10 years ago a hatchback returns the same answer.. Thais do not like, would not buy.... not that they have any option in Thai built cars..

Oddly many Thais I talk to and Thai friend would love more options........ So cannot work out why Thai built cars must be the dullest on the planet.

Now that would be refreshing, The all new Mitsubishi Triton ? the GR-HEV would be something different, but od course it is only a Concept, and would automatically be classed as Thais would not buy......... so if made do not expect it here

Noone wants to stand out in the crowd here. In the parking lot at my school there is a sea of boring grey cars, with a few whites and blacks thrown in. My blue swift stands out like a sore thumb lol

Don't think the new Pulsar will knock anybody from his/her seat in styling and other aspects. Give me a Ford Focus over this every day. Can't quite get why a Golf would be behind, I do have a GTI and it is heaps and bounds over any Jap hatchback....yes and it was twice the price, but as somebody else mentioned: no choice, if you want something a little nice and really 'sport hatchback'! Was also thinking the Sonic with the 1.4 turbo would be great, but yet again disappointment in Thai car makers decisions of giving us just the left over crap engines....(ok, a bit over exagerated, but not by much! ;p)

And also agree: we need more Japanese or European Diesel engines here, or smaller displacement with forced induction to bring Thailand to a 'regular' level of car sophistication.

Don't think the new Pulsar will knock anybody from his/her seat in styling and other aspects. Give me a Ford Focus over this every day. Can't quite get why a Golf would be behind, I do have a GTI and it is heaps and bounds over any Jap hatchback....yes and it was twice the price, but as somebody else mentioned: no choice, if you want something a little nice and really 'sport hatchback'! Was also thinking the Sonic with the 1.4 turbo would be great, but yet again disappointment in Thai car makers decisions of giving us just the left over crap engines....(ok, a bit over exagerated, but not by much! ;p)

And also agree: we need more Japanese or European Diesel engines here, or smaller displacement with forced induction to bring Thailand to a 'regular' level of car sophistication.

Could be that there is a bigger margin for the dealers etc on these models. Don't think they are too interested in what people want, this is what we sell, if you don't like it then that's your fault not mine kind of thing.

For myself I'm not a lover of the 'Hot Hatchback', undersized and over priced, including this one.

Ugly.. Give me a golf over this anyday

They have it on display at Mega Bang Na and it look much better in person.

Yep, it's much better in the metal..

I think it's a design that will need to grow on some people (anyone remember their initial impressions of the Triton? ;) ), and while it's not particularly strong on any one point, it's still a competitive package in 1.6L form when put beside the corresponding Mazda3 and Focus models.

At the top-end, the 100K Baht more expensive Focus takes the segment though.

Mazda could bring CX5,

The Murano would cost a gazillion baht in 3.5L form due to huge tax spike for large engine cars. The 2.5L diesel would be a better seller but it is essentially a one model car, with essentially all options fitted as standard.

I have a 3.5L and love it.

YOu might be right, but Dualis is only around 2L i think, and a nice looking car.

Mitsu also makes the freelander and it looks really nice.

Those mid range SUV's would sell like hot cakes, not to mention its nice ride as well

I think it's a design that will need to grow on some people (anyone remember their initial impressions of the Triton? wink.png ), and while it's not particularly strong on any one point, it's still a competitive package in 1.6L form when put beside the corresponding Mazda3 and Focus models.

Mate

How do you think the SunroofNavi for 976 000 Baht compares with the Focus Sport which is 969 000 Baht?

Regards

Will

I think it's a design that will need to grow on some people (anyone remember their initial impressions of the Triton? wink.png ), and while it's not particularly strong on any one point, it's still a competitive package in 1.6L form when put beside the corresponding Mazda3 and Focus models.

Mate

How do you think the SunroofNavi for 976 000 Baht compares with the Focus Sport which is 969 000 Baht?

Regards

Will

That's a question that totally depends on how you weight different criteria... if performance is your primary goal, the Focus takes the cookie. The Pulsar is a clear winner when it comes to what you get for your money though.

I haven't yet had an oppty to test drive the new Pulsar though - so there could also be some notable differences in NVH, comfort, handling too...

I suggest test-driving both then weighing up the overall value proposition based on what's important to you.

• Like 2

A long way ahead of the Golf. More Room, better Technology, A darn good product and always has been so, The Golf is outdated now, unfortunately.

Don't really agree; the golf for around 2X higher price, is widely considered the best hatch under multiple criteria and the GTI is quicker; the mark 7 golf is likely in every respect except price a better car than this beast; efficiency of the golf efficient diesels and petrols is better; the Nissan might have marginally more room but fill it up with stuff and it would be unbearably slow and unpleasant to drive.

It's time Nissan brought back the SSS Sentras, Son of Godzilla...that sort of thing. If this one had a 2 liter turbo engine it would be the goods...as it is simply another variant of the quintessential shopping cart.

• Like 1

It's time Nissan brought back the SSS Sentras, Son of Godzilla...that sort of thing. If this one had a 2 liter turbo engine it would be the goods...as it is simply another variant of the quintessential shopping cart.

Nissan will be releasing a turbo-powered Pulsar SSS later this year.... But unlikely it'll be sold in Thailand.

Nissan will be releasing a turbo-powered Pulsar SSS later this year.... But unlikely it'll be sold in Thailand.

Interestingly that is the model pictured in the OP! Freudian slip or wishful thinking.

http://www.betweentheaxles.com.au/nissan-pulsar-sss-hatch-returns-in-2013-with-1-6-litre-turbo-851?pid=1530#npic-79

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a look at the Pulsur 1.6 SV CVT today, which retails for 872 500 Baht.

I would've liked to have seen the 1.8 Navi (976 00) but it was out for a long test ride.

First impressions were that it wasn't too bad. It looks a bit dated against the Focus

but the leather seats were a nice touch and you get a fair bit of fruit for your money.

The sales staff were super keen and offered the usual 1 year free insurance plus

the usual goodies of tint, floor mats etc etc.

To be honest, it was more like back home in Australia where the dealers are super keen to get

their commission. In Thailand, I've found a lot of the dealers (Ford especially) really blase when

it comes to selling as I guess most of the cars kind of sell themselves. But the Nissan crew were

really good.

So overall, I think the Focus Sport would be my first choice in that price range ($976 000) but I

think it's good that we're at least getting a few more options coming along.

Regards

Will