Thai Women: What Do You Think Of This White Skin Nonsense?

andrew

Don't go bashing on other cultures by calling them as nonsense just because they have a different point of view than you do.

-

Personal preference is one thing, but generalizing that darker people are inherently inferior -not just "ugly" but also lazy, stupid, dishonest etc - is also endemic here.

To the point that darker-skinned Thais internalize these beliefs, impacting their own self-confidence and ability to make their way in the world.

Fair enough IMO for more enlightened souls to express that they find this aspect of Thai "culture" abhorrent.

And the commercial capitalising on and reinforcement of the beauty aspect, selling expensive and harmful chemicals is also disgusting IMO.

Edited by FunFon
  • Like 1

I am sure that it is very hard for most darker skinned girls to get anywhere in Thailand due to this skin colour prejudice .Many years ago, my wife (she's 43 now) was Miss Surat Thani (town), Miss Surat Thani province and later at uni

,Miss Bangkok Universites. She was rejected for the Miss Thailand comp because she was deemed "Too dark skinned"

Looking at the old photos i would say that was downright stupid when there many coloured West Indian and Sth Americans in the comp. I guess its all in the mind of the rich and influent ChineseThai Hi-so's. Who incidentially , she tells me were all clamouring to make her a mia noi !

• Like 1

I am sure that it is very hard for most darker skinned girls to get anywhere in Thailand due to this skin colour prejudice .Many years ago, my wife (she's 43 now) was Miss Surat Thani (town), Miss Surat Thani province and later at uni

,Miss Bangkok Universites. She was rejected for the Miss Thailand comp because she was deemed "Too dark skinned"

Looking at the old photos i would say that was downright stupid when there many coloured West Indian and Sth Americans in the comp. I guess its all in the mind of the rich and influent ChineseThai Hi-so's. Who incidentially , she tells me were all clamouring to make her a mia noi !

my mother in law was miss khorat back in the day, other then that I'm not interested in what she did, I just wanted to snap up her daughter who looked like her.

• Like 1

-

Not at all limited to the wealthier classes, everyone's bought into it, to the point that the average Joe in the street thinks "crazy farang like dark skin", and trying to explain that it's just irrelevant to many of us just doesn't sink in at all, they can't imagine it not being a primary criterion of beauty.

And of course many wealthy guys will have a darker-skinned toy on the side, but few would actually marry one.

There are exceptions though, most Thais will agree that Mamee's pretty cute:

http://www.mayascans.com/wp-content/gallery/mayaXL/Mamee-Napakpapha/mayaXL-Napakpapha_Nakprasitte-14_lips0205.jpg

But then many will demure if they see a less contrived shot:

http://www.torrentsland.com/upload/preview/images/cr_actors/0/0/0/ee81938108d12d8f4ed154ff4c119ad6.jpg

Edited by FunFon

Don't go bashing on other cultures by calling them as nonsense just because they have a different point of view than you do.

-

Personal preference is one thing, but generalizing that darker people are inherently inferior -not just "ugly" but also lazy, stupid, dishonest etc - is also endemic here.

Do you think that if you keep repeating this enough, it will somehow become true? Perhaps in your mind. The Thais don't believe that.

Potentially serious subject here. laugh.png

No idea why some Thai women think they need to be white to be sexy. My wife is dark and I like it. If I wanted white bodies I would have gone for farang girls...

.....and if I wanted dark skin I would have gone for African girls........

It really is ridiculous. The power of advertising to the uneducated masses.

Most guys here are always into small petite japanese/chinese look women with light skin. There are some thai men who prefer caucasian gorls but it's still considered minority when compared to the big group of men who in love with japanese/chinese women. Have you heard of a japanese nude star "Miyabi" ?

She is the exact thai men's dream girl. That's why thai women want to have light skin just to meet their counterparts' expectations. I am one of them and I like petite women as well( I am thai woman, not man). They look so delicate and asking for men's protection.

Uneducated mass?

So, you think women who beachgrill themself are more educated?

No.

-

Do you think that if you keep repeating this enough, it will somehow become true? Perhaps in your mind. The Thais don't believe that.

-

The vast majority of the ones I talk to certainly do.

I suspect you're interacting with a "better/higher" class of Thais that are aware that westerners don't approve of such attitudes, so if the people you're talking to are asked "do you believe in ghosts?" you'll get a much lower positive response rate than I would.

I'll continue to believe that's the real attitude since I'm talking to people that have no idea about PC.

Potentially serious subject here. laugh.png

No idea why some Thai women think they need to be white to be sexy. My wife is dark and I like it. If I wanted white bodies I would have gone for farang girls...

.....and if I wanted dark skin I would have gone for African girls........

It really is ridiculous. The power of advertising to the uneducated masses.

Most guys here are always into small petite japanese/chinese look women with light skin. There are some thai men who prefer caucasian gorls but it's still considered minority when compared to the big group of men who in love with japanese/chinese women. Have you heard of a japanese nude star "Miyabi" ?

She is the exact thai men's dream girl. That's why thai women want to have light skin just to meet their counterparts' expectations. I am one of them and I like petite women as well( I am thai woman, not man). They look so delicate and asking for men's protection.

Uneducated mass?

So, you think women who beachgrill themself are more educated?

Bravo, Nuna, you've hit the nail on the head. Some of these guys should really listen to what they're saying because it is silly and hypocritical beyond words.

For instance, laying out in the sun for hours upon hours, baking oneself red, is about the stupidest thing one can do. Not only do you risk skin cancer, but premature aging as well. Countless dermatologists have warned of this. There are stacks of studies on this. Yet, farangs the world over do this. And why? To change their skin color and look attractive to the society that they belong.

But when Thais do basically the same--without having to endure the risk inherent with sunbathing--farangs cry stupid and uneducated. Who's really the uneducated one?

If you were replying to me, where did I state that people who sunbathe are educated? I put them all in the same boat personally. It's all about money and advertising the fact that to be a different colour to what nature intended is beautiful.

• Like 1

-

-

The vast majority of the ones I talk to certainly do.

I suspect you're interacting with a "better/higher" class of Thais that are aware that westerners don't approve of such attitudes, so if the people you're talking to are asked "do you believe in ghosts?" you'll get a much lower positive response rate than I would.

I'll continue to believe that's the real attitude since I'm talking to people that have no idea about PC.

The evidence that I have is my own eyes. In my current employment, I've dealt with hundreds, if not thousands of Thais in government, industry, and education. All over Thailand. I've met countless senior ranking officials of all shades. I met a group of business executives and university VPs recently and a line from the movie Blazing Saddles came to mind ("They darker than us!" Note: Comic relief)

So if your argument is that darker-skinned Thais are somehow restricted from moving up the social ladder, you're wrong. It's more to do with level of education and family social class than skin color.

• Like 1

Berkshire, on 25 Mar 2013 - 14:53, said:

The evidence that I have is my own eyes. In my current employment, I've dealt with hundreds, if not thousands of Thais in government, industry, and education. All over Thailand. I've met countless senior ranking officials of all shades. I met a group of business executives and university VPs recently and a line from the movie Blazing Saddles came to mind ("They darker than us!" Note: Comic relief)

So if your argument is that darker-skinned Thais are somehow restricted from moving up the social ladder, you're wrong. It's more to do with level of education and family social class than skin color.

-

Sorry I was specifically talking about women and how they usually get ahead here.

Thai men are generally at the periphery or completely outside my awareness, couldn't care less about their problems or opportunities personally.

But now that I think about it, I bet you'd agree a dark-skinned guy would end up getting poorer value-for-money in the marriage market.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if outside of government circles, dark males often have to work harder to achieve the same levels of success as their white-skinned counterparts. But I admit sheer speculation on my part, haven't seen any studies.

• Like 1

Berkshire, on 25 Mar 2013 - 14:53, said:

-

Sorry I was specifically talking about women and how they usually get ahead here.

Thai men are generally at the periphery or completely outside my awareness, couldn't care less about their problems or opportunities personally.

But now that I think about it, I bet you'd agree a dark-skinned guy would end up getting poorer value-for-money in the marriage market.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if outside of government circles, dark males often have to work harder to achieve the same levels of success as their white-skinned counterparts. But I admit sheer speculation on my part, haven't seen any studies.

You guys are really overstating the importance of skin color in Thailand. Is it because so many farangs are with darker-skin Thai girls?

I'll grant that the media glorifies feminine beauty....as they do throughout the world. The Japanese, Chinese, and more recently the Korean pop culture is what they try to emulate. Has nothing to do with farangs. But in terms of work and social situations, it's not a huge deal. For a guy, money talks. A Thai guy with money--regardless of his skin hue--will get the babes. A competent guy will do well in any job, regardless of his skin color. It's really not like it was in America regarding what blacks went through, i.e., "(they) had to work harder to achieve the same levels of success as their white-skinned counterparts." Not that way at all. A Thai girl, on the other hand, looks does matter, especially if she's looking to marry up into a higher social class. But a girl can be attractive and have darker skin. It's just that the Thai girls that some farangs gravitate to, in addition to being dark, are not particularly attractive. Not trying to offend anyone, but just saying...

• Like 2

A Thai girl, on the other hand, looks does matter, especially if she's looking to marry up into a higher social class. But a girl can be attractive and have darker skin. It's just that the Thai girls that some farangs gravitate to, in addition to being dark, are not particularly attractive. Not trying to offend anyone, but just saying...

-

Sure we've all thought "<deleted>?" in seeing some of the partners walking around with our fellow sexpats.

However I and my close friends have had GFs that were young and total hotties, absolute stunners who happen to have skin much darker than the average American black, and I'm always amazed by the fact that most Thais consider them unattractive specifically due to their skin color, even if they've got the long-high nose bridge, high cheekbones, sharp jawline, gorgeous body and otherwise classic features.

Conversely I find most of the Chinese-looking models here very unattractive, can't stand a round face, heavy makeup tweezed eyebrows etc.

Speaking selfishly, that's all good, thank the stars we're not all competing over the same girls. wai2.gif

• Like 1

A Thai girl, on the other hand, looks does matter, especially if she's looking to marry up into a higher social class. But a girl can be attractive and have darker skin. It's just that the Thai girls that some farangs gravitate to, in addition to being dark, are not particularly attractive. Not trying to offend anyone, but just saying...

-

Sure we've all thought "<deleted>?" in seeing some of the partners walking around with our fellow sexpats.

However I and my close friends have had GFs that were young and total hotties, absolute stunners who happen to have skin much darker than the average American black, and I'm always amazed by the fact that most Thais consider them unattractive specifically due to their skin color, even if they've got the long-high nose bridge, high cheekbones, sharp jawline, gorgeous body and otherwise classic features.

Conversely I find most of the Chinese-looking models here very unattractive, can't stand a round face, heavy makeup tweezed eyebrows etc.

Speaking selfishly, that's all good, thank the stars we're not all competing over the same girls. wai2.gif

are you sure you were not dating a lady boy!!whistling.gif

are you sure you were not dating a lady boy!!whistling.gif

-

Yes, the ones I'm talking about were straight off the rice farm, not a word of English, never drank any alcohol etc.

Haven't been with any other type of TG for over ten years now, and most of my friend's SOs were met through upcountry referrals or at each others' wedding parties out in whoop-whoop.

Personally I haven't been to any area frequented by katoey for many years, other than the occasional corporate receptionist or department store employee.

One of the girls I'm thinking of was as black as the blackest pure African I've ever seen, but had bone structure that looked straight out of the Himalayas, was 17 at the time, now a Yoga instructor in international schools. Lovely girl, smart as a whip, but you should hear the central-Thai IS staff laugh about how ugly she is just because of her skin when IMO she puts them all to shame - amazing Thailand. . .

Edited by FunFon
  • Like 1

-

Damn right. Some of the women I've seen foreign men describe as "stunners" have me utterly astonished.

Sirs,

When it come to social class climbing, especially high-ranked bureaucrat, you have to graduate from leading universities like

Chulalongkorn or Thammasat (Both are the best in PolSci school). It doesn't matter what color you are as long as you can get in the universities and earn first-class honored degree. Some competitive ministries like the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Interior Affairs you will see the tops in every color get accepted.

Even the government scholarships to study abroad. Many clever dark-skinned students earn Phd. from US ,Germany ,France top schools and then become academic elites back home.

• Like 2

The only thing I think is sad is the massive con-job that advertising has done to convince the average Thai girl that dark skin is not attractive. They waste what little money they have on whitening cream that doesn't work. And, whey they put it on their face they look like a zombie and take away their natural beauty. Other than that it doesn't really matter to me. I've lost count of the times I've tried to convince one of the Thai girls with beautiful golden skin that I would rather have skin like her than my white, freckled skin. But, it is like pushing water up hill with a broom and they don't pay attention.. The only reason I try to stay covered up is because I burn rather than tan. At least the long, colourful dresses that I wear are all in style here. And, I wear blue jeans when I ride my motorbike.

The only thing I think is sad is the massive con-job that advertising has done to convince the average Thai girl that dark skin is not attractive. They waste what little money they have on whitening cream that doesn't work. And, whey they put it on their face they look like a zombie and take away their natural beauty. Other than that it doesn't really matter to me. I've lost count of the times I've tried to convince one of the Thai girls with beautiful golden skin that I would rather have skin like her than my white, freckled skin. But, it is like pushing water up hill with a broom and they don't pay attention.. The only reason I try to stay covered up is because I burn rather than tan. At least the long, colourful dresses that I wear are all in style here. And, I wear blue jeans when I ride my motorbike.

-

This cultural brainwashing has nothing to do with modern mass media, has been in place for centuries if not millenia.

Sure the cosmetic industry has taken advantage of and continues to reinforce it.

I listened to one ex-special-forces type explain the Thais having so many lukrung media stars was the result of mind-control experiments by vietnam-era yankish three-letter agencies to make it easier for the grunts to get poontang. Makes for nice barstool CT talk but. . .

One of the older Thai gents I golf with broke it down for me like this. In a general way mind you. Dark skin is seen as something from farmers and people who work in the fields = poor. White skin is a soceity thing and you can live and work in an office or nice house = wealthy. Ladys want to show their friends and people somewhat known they have the money to spend on the high cost of the skin treatments. Yes high end places can get 100,000 Baht a month per lady. So its about skin color being part of the class system. Thailand is very conserned about what people say when they gossip about them.

I also heard that Elvis is dead.....

And he works in a chip shop, but he is deluded and I am not sure about some on this thread

Sirs,

When it come to social class climbing, especially high-ranked bureaucrat, you have to graduate from leading universities like

Chulalongkorn or Thammasat (Both are the best in PolSci school). It doesn't matter what color you are as long as you can get in the universities and earn first-class honored degree. Some competitive ministries like the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Interior Affairs you will see the tops in every color get accepted.

Even the government scholarships to study abroad. Many clever dark-skinned students earn Phd. from US ,Germany ,France top schools and then become academic elites back home.

Exactly. I keep trying to explain this to the farang conspiracy theorists and they just don't get it.

Another beaten-to-death topic, but I'll bite. A knowledgeable Thai-American guy told me once that amongst Thai women, obsession with skin color is very similar to American women's obsession with thinness. In other words, a dark-skinned Thai woman is similar to an obese American woman in the US. Think about it in that context.

So if you were a foreigner in America, and you go on top of the tallest rooftop and yell out "Fat women are beautiful! Quit discriminating against fat women!" Do you really think that this would change the minds of the average American male? Doubtful.

By the way, this skin color phenomenon applies mostly to women, as men are more about physical beauty when choosing a mate. Thai women mostly prefer guys with a charming personality and the ability to provide...not necessarily in that order. Skin color doesn't really mean much in that respect. Yes, they dig Korean boy-bands, but it's not the most important thing--unlike us superficial guys.

In terms of first appearances I think Thai women like westerners because of their white skin and noses. I must admit the nose thing had me puzzled at first.

I like the darker skin but that's just for looking at which if I see a girl on the street is the only consideration. For a long term relationship there are more important things of course. For me it's not white skin as such that I'm not keen on so much as the attempt to change the colour. I'd just as soon they were happy with what they have.

Still if they want to do it then it's up to them.

75% thai girls target far eastern guys ( chinese/japanese/korean) and 25 % go for farang. In fact, I don't have the real number but I estimate from my friends

By the way, I have done nose job too 55 and here is my model. In my opinion, it doesn't look western.

http://www.blike.net:81/comment/339823

Another beaten-to-death topic, but I'll bite. A knowledgeable Thai-American guy told me once that amongst Thai women, obsession with skin color is very similar to American women's obsession with thinness. In other words, a dark-skinned Thai woman is similar to an obese American woman in the US. Think about it in that context.

So if you were a foreigner in America, and you go on top of the tallest rooftop and yell out "Fat women are beautiful! Quit discriminating against fat women!" Do you really think that this would change the minds of the average American male? Doubtful.

By the way, this skin color phenomenon applies mostly to women, as men are more about physical beauty when choosing a mate. Thai women mostly prefer guys with a charming personality and the ability to provide...not necessarily in that order. Skin color doesn't really mean much in that respect. Yes, they dig Korean boy-bands, but it's not the most important thing--unlike us superficial guys.

In terms of first appearances I think Thai women like westerners because of their white skin and noses. I must admit the nose thing had me puzzled at first.

I like the darker skin but that's just for looking at which if I see a girl on the street is the only consideration. For a long term relationship there are more important things of course. For me it's not white skin as such that I'm not keen on so much as the attempt to change the colour. I'd just as soon they were happy with what they have.

Still if they want to do it then it's up to them.

75% thai girls target far eastern guys ( chinese/japanese/korean) and 25 % go for farang. In fact, I don't have the real number but I estimate from my friends

By the way, I have done nose job too 55 and here is my model. In my opinion, it doesn't look western.

http://www.blike.net:81/comment/339823

A nose job wil only make you prettier to yourself. Other people who love you will support you in your actions.

Terrific model nose! thumbsup.gif .

Nuna, on 26 Mar 2013 - 09:41, said:

-

I would think perhaps that would only apply out of the small group of TGs that "target" foreigners to start with, the vast majority (99%?) don't consider bedding down with anyone but Thai men.

Personally I can't stand any detectable artificiality, even down to hair color and make-up, may make exceptions for short-time girls if they're otherwise very interesting, but definitely don't stand for it for anyone settling in with me longer than a week or two.

My wife ( she's thai ) is a doctor and own a beauty clinic ( threads-botox-filler-laser-whitening etc )

It's just insane how many girls show up for whitening injection shock1.gif

My wife don't like sunshine and always looking for shadow

Never heard of any whitening injections, can you elaborate?