Abhisit's Key Goal Is Ousting Thaksin From Politics

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Abhisit's key goal is ousting Thaksin from politics

Avudh Panananda
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has charted a clear and unyielding course to root out his nemesis Thaksin Shinawatra from the political landscape or at least die trying.

The Abhisit-Thaksin fight is an epic one dating back to 2001 and is likely to remain inconclusive in the foreseeable future.

Even though the Thaksin camp has won every general election over the past decade, the Democrats continue to remain a thorn in his side.

If the Thaksin camp has been using democracy as a shield to keep its opponents at bay, then the Democrats have the antidote - portraying supporters of populism as opportunists bent on plundering the national coffers.

Over the past few years, the main opposition party has been raising awareness under a "word-of-mouth" campaign in order to expose the flaws of Thaksin's legacy.

This campaign carries two key messages:

l Thaksin and the red shirts were behind the "burning down of Bangkok" or that they condoned political violence in order to have their way;

l That populism is an evil trick being used to sedate the people and pave the way for amassing ill-gotten gains.

Although the red shirts continue belching out fiery rebuttals and Thaksin and coalition politicians play down these messages as cheap rhetoric, the word-of-mouth campaign is actually gaining traction.

The Democrat victory in the capital should serve as a wake-up call for the ruling party and its patron Thaksin.

On Saturday, the Democrats had reason to celebrate because for the first time in recent history, Abhisit was able to lead a rally in Khon Kaen - which is seen as the backyard of the reds and Pheu Thai.

In the previous two general elections, the Democrats were not able to access several provinces in the Northeast.

The turnout at the Saturday rally was impressive, signalling that the main opposition party might be able to make a comeback in the region.

On the following day, Abhisit held a meeting with his fan club in Bangkok, where he confirmed his plans to reach out Isaan voters.

In Thaksin's point of view, as well as that of several political pundits, Abhisit does not have the strength at this juncture to wrest power from the ruling party.

Abhisit, however, is under no illusion that he can outpace Thaksin in terms of popularity. He just wants to be a pest blocking Thaksin at every turn. After all, for him and his fellow Democrats, the issue is not about grabbing power but removing Thaksin and his legacy from the political equation.

Abhisit's belief is that the future of democratic rule hinges on how well society can withstand Thaksin's bullying tactics. He believes that once Thaksin is out of the picture, then the playing field will be levelled and the country can move forward regardless of which party is in power.

Abhisit sees "reconciliation" as a code word invoked by the Thaksin camp to under?mine the rule of law via the legislative majority and is calling on Thai citizens to unite against any attempts to whitewash political violence, which if allowed, could lead to more turmoil.

Of course, Thaksin has a different take on the situation. He sees Abhisit as a petulant child who refuses to play fair. The Democrats are faulting him, but are unable to come up with a viable alternative for voters.

However, political polarisation will not dissipate until either Abhisit or Thaksin can devise a game change in order to end the contest of their willpower.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-12

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So not creating more jobs or implementing some social welfare projects or for the Republicans out there cutting 'taxes'.

This dude is worthless.

Ahhh the independent publication that is The Nation. Never gets old...

• Like 1

Mr Abisit wants to keep Mr Thaksin out of politics, Mr Thaksin wants to keep Mr Abisit out of politics, the ruling party wants to keep everybody out of politics. When is this personal vendetta going to ever stop.

• Like 1

If Abhisit's key goal was the wellbeing of the nation rather than some personal vendetta, then perhaps the electorate might vote him into office.

1. The two goals are not mutually exclusive.

2. The electorate did vote Abhisit into office.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

"Without Thaksin in the picture I'm sure the Dems and Peua Thai would be far more co-operative towards each other"

Not only you are sure, a high ranked PTP official and a young Dem MP told me nearly the same.

Informative news item that sets out the Agenda of both Thaksin and Abihist. Quite a good strategy to shed light on Thaksind machinations and block them through the judiciary and let him sabotage himself through his greed and lust for power.

• Like 1

If Abhisit's key goal was the wellbeing of the nation rather than some personal vendetta, then perhaps the electorate might vote him into office.

Of course, Thaksin doesn't have a personal vendetta? Or agenda?

Abhisit's one advantage is that he's here in Thailand as a legitimate member of the opposition party, Thaksin, on the other hand, is several thousand miles away on the end of a computer or phone. Abhisit was not afraid to go to Khon Kaen on the weekend even though there was visible harassment and threats.

Mr Abisit wants to keep Mr Thaksin out of politics, Mr Thaksin wants to keep Mr Abisit out of politics, the ruling party wants to keep everybody out of politics. When is this personal vendetta going to ever stop.

Unfortunately you posted before you had a chance to read post number 7.

Is there some thing wrong with trying to keep some one out of politics who has only a personal agenda has bought his way in and holds no elected position not even mentioning the fact he stubbornly refuses to come to Thailand. The door isds wide open to him yet he refuses to come.

I for one think as the head of the opposition it would be Abhist job to try and keep him out. Unfortunately the corruption in the PTP will not allow that.sad.png

If Thaksin was to come back to Thailand run for office and get elected I am very sure Abhist would not be trying to get him out of politics by any other means than the ballot box. He might disagree with him and try to change his mind but he would not be putting any energy into getting him out iof politics. Even if he wanted him out. That would not be what his job called for.wai2.gif

• Like 1

...perhaps if Abhisit had correctly applied an arrest warrant for Thaksin via Interpol when he was in office, things would be different now...

What could have been.

My understanding was the case did not meet the qualifications needed for Interpol to interfere.

It would have been nice if they could and did.

Are you saying they didn't.

We get some far out claims here ion Thai Visa but you are in a class of your own.

Not even a paid Thackson mouth piece would try that one and we get some pretty dodgy ones here.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

...perhaps if Abhisit had correctly applied an arrest warrant for Thaksin via Interpol when he was in office, things would be different now...

What could have been.

My understanding was the case did not meet the qualifications needed for Interpol to interfere.

It would have been nice if they could and did.

Yes, that is my understanding.

But the Dems weren't totally honest on the Thaksin Interpol issues.

Once the case was rejected from Interpol the first time, it was never resubmitted with updated information...it just fell to the bottom of the pile.

If only they had made this a priority, things would be different. Sliding doors.

Here we go again - but just spare us the lecture on parliamentary democracy please.We know the military helped him bribe Newin's faction to allow him to form a government.Abhisit has however never won an election and the Democrats are unlikely to without heaving him overboard or marginalising him gracefully.

As to the thread's topic I suspect for Abhisit the matter is primarily personal.He is an intelligent man and knows better than most that if Thaksin disappeared prmanently, the toothpaste can't be squeezed back into the tube.The Thai political class can't take the majority of the people for granted any more.That's permanent.Deference is dead.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 2

Here we go again - but just spare us the lecture on parliamentary democracy please.We know the military helped him bribe Newin's faction to allow him to form a government.Abhisit has however never won an election and the Democrats are unlikely to without heaving him overboard or marginalising him gracefully.

As to the thread's topic I suspect for Abhisit the matter is primarily personal.He is an intelligent man and knows better than most that if Thaksin disappeared prmanently, the toothpaste can't be squeezed back into the tube.The Thai political class can't take the majority of the people for granted any more.That's permanent.Deference is dead.

Thaksin - UDD - Red shirt terror - Abhisit - Robert Amsterdam - ICC. Maybe it's personal...

The Thai political class can't take the majority of the people for granted any more.That's permanent.

I think you are in the wrong thread with this statement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625327-pheu-thai-party-is-pushing-forward-to-annul-sukhumbands-win/

Edited by Nickymaster

Here we go again - but just spare us the lecture on parliamentary democracy

Nice warbling, but that's not what the post I replied to said and it's not what I said.

Abhisit was voted into office by the electorate....

As a Party-list MP, that's precisely what happened.

Perhaps you do need some lecturing on parliamentary democracy, after all.

Edited by Buchholz

Nice warbling, but that's not what the post I replied to said and it's not what I said.

Duh, even you should have grasped that the reference was to receiving a mandate from the people of Thailand, not securing his own seat.

Abhisit has never offered successfully offered himself as a prospective or incumbent Prime Minister to the Thai people at a general election.

• Like 2

QUOTE = "NCFC"

UNQUOTE.

Duh
No one has said anything about Prime Minister.

If you are going to quote posters, try to follow what all other posters, besides yourself, write.