Jomtien Complex Shopping Centre

Asiantravel

Ah. Turns out I've walked into that area off soi 1 and, after 20-30 metres, walked out. Wrong "side" of town for me.

The nightlife venues there are mixed, largely gay but also straight places as well. You should have gone "deeper" to see for yourself. There are many restaurants as well.

Jomtien Complex has always had a big proportion of closed places ever since it was built. They open for a while then they close again.

All I can say is that this time exactly 12 months ago , just before Songkran the place appeared to be doing quite well. Now it's like a ghost town

All I can say is that this time exactly 12 months ago , just before Songkran the place appeared to be doing quite well. Now it's like a ghost town

It seems the same as before to me and I walk through it twice a day, every day. Mind you, in spite of walking past it daily I had never noticed the little restaurant that does 300+B roast dinners until someone on here pointed it out to me.

I'm a bit surprised that businesses can't succeed here. There must be thousands of condos within 1km plus all the tourists, surely enough customers.

Good point. Here's an example. Sam's Mexican moved from a bad location hidden away (across the street, not in the complex) and now to high visibility location in the complex. At the old location business looked slow. Now the place appears to be doing much better. Why? Good location, good product, reasonable prices, and something of appeal to BOTH tourists and expats. I think that's the formula showing businesses CAN thrive in the complex.

http://samsmexican.com/

Edited by Jingthing

I'm a bit surprised that businesses can't succeed here. There must be thousands of condos within 1km plus all the tourists, surely enough customers.

It's a uniquely ugly place, not much better than Soi 3, 4 and 5 off Jomtien beach road. The gay places probably scare off a lot of straight customers. I wouldn't pass trough a barrage of boys wearing make up, and with falsetto voices just to visit a restaurant.

• Like 1

It's a uniquely ugly place, not much better than Soi 3, 4 and 5 off Jomtien beach road. The gay places probably scare off a lot of straight customers. I wouldn't pass trough a barrage of boys wearing make up, and with falsetto voices just to visit a restaurant.

I guess that location doesn't appeal to the homophobic then. Some might consider that a feature.

I don't think it is uniquely ugly. It is typically ugly. Architecturally, this is an ugly city in general.

To those who don't know it, the complex consists of a number of sois, there are a number of gay oriented businesses, some straight ones as well, many restaurants, and a typical mix of other types of businesses. It is NOT a gay ghetto like Boyztown.

Edited by Jingthing

In fact, there many restaurants that appear to be doing just fine: Sam's, Oscar's, Cafe Ritz, L'Arc, Sunrise Tacos, East Tapas Lounge, Claudio, Spring Onion, L'Olivier, Oley, Antz, Pizzeria Italia, Dick's Cafe, . I'm sure I'm forgetting some. The Complex is really quite active and lively at night.

• Like 1

In fact, there many restaurants that appear to be doing just fine: Sam's, Oscar's, Cafe Ritz, L'Arc, Sunrise Tacos, East Tapas Lounge, Claudio, Spring Onion, L'Olivier, Oley, Antz, Pizzeria Italia, Dick's Cafe, . I'm sure I'm forgetting some. The Complex is really quite active and lively at night.

I walked around in the day and my original post was based on the number of for sale or for rent signs I counted outside shops and bars that last year were open Edited by Asiantravel

Next time you walk around, keep your eyes open.

Yes, up to 5 years ago, Jomtien Complex was more or less a ghost town,but since then a lot of new ventures opened up (ok, and yes a lot of ventures closed down), but it is a rather lively area with some highlights:

Ganymede Resort, Karaoke and Spa (still expanding), East Suites Apartments and Restaurant, Tapas, Poseidon, The Venue, a Taco Restaurant, Oscar Restaurant, several bars and restaurants........pretty much for a "ghost town".

Next time you walk around, keep your eyes open.

Yes, up to 5 years ago, Jomtien Complex was more or less a ghost town,but since then a lot of new ventures opened up (ok, and yes a lot of ventures closed down), but it is a rather lively area with some highlights:

Ganymede Resort, Karaoke and Spa (still expanding), East Suites Apartments and Restaurant, Tapas, Poseidon, The Venue, a Taco Restaurant, Oscar Restaurant, several bars and restaurants........pretty much for a "ghost town".

My eyes were very much open which is the way I was able to count so many “ for sale “ or for “ rent “ signs ….

You have named about 9 or 10 establishments out of how many shops and business locations in the entire establishment?

And I think you will find the “ several bars and restaurants “ that you refer to so loosely are the ones that are now being advertised as “ for sale “ or for “ rent “?

its dying .........

Edited by Asiantravel

I agree, some excellent restaurants. On a Monday night East Tapas Lounge has a buffet for less than 400 baht, excellent value and excellent food. They are also worth a visit on any other day of the week with an excellent menu. Many of my favourite restaurants in Pattaya are in Jomtien Complex.

The place isn't dying but honestly for all the restaurants there, none of them are among my favorite restaurants in town. I think the restaurants there (and most of Jomtien) are more geared towards tourists. There are a few Thai restaurants there as well, but you can definitely do better price and quality wise if you to go less touristy areas for that too.

The poster here insisting the complex is dying is clearly wrong. Anyone who has watched the area over many years knows it has been MUCH MUCH WORSE and is actually now in a better place, and improving. I am talking about the period where Thappraya road was torn up. That was quite bad for business.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1