Offshore Or Remote Medics Courses

mark131v

Any medics out there struggling to find medical courses to keep you in date or add CPD in the region I used the Penang Adventist Hospital in Georgetown Malaysia to keep my ACLS in date, reasonably well run and cheap and fully AHA accredited:

http://www.pah.com.my/services/life_support_edu/

I also have it on good authority that this PHTLS course in the Phillipines is also well taught and good value:

http://www.eruf161.com/services-a-equipments

Unfortunatly it doesnt appear there is any decent Internationally recognized courses inside Thailand unless you know something I dont.......

Im interested in the courses just purely for interests sake. Are you a Paramedic? And are these like refresher courses or do you do these courses and then become an offshore medic?

I am an Ex military UK Registered Paramedic, these courses are basically just refreshers that need to be done every couple of years in order to stay current and are not training to be a Medic, you are already expected to be qualified before you start them

Different areas of the world require different qualifications for instance to work in the N Sea or off the UKCS many companies require the Medic to complete a 4 week UK HSE Offshore Medics course whose prerequisites are that you are already a Registered Nurse or former Class 1 Military Medic prior to starting so for this course being a civilian Paramedic would not even necesarily get you onto the course

Areas such as Norway only accept Nurses on their rigs and vessels plus the differing quality of Medics due to their training is also sometimes an issue and it is not unknown for companies to choose the cheapest rather than best option so where you trained makes a big difference

I am interested to one day do a first response paramedic type course....read about one offered in Singapore, but lost the details.

Anyone know of a good place to do such ?

This is not a refresher I am talking about, it is for the average joe to be able to assist a patient properly if first on the scene and possibly save their lives....it is also a lot more than just a first aid type course from St Johns.