Land Of Integrity?

infinity11

Troll topic or not?
I will let you all decide.

I have not met more people with less integrity in all my life than in Pattaya, farang AND thai makes, no difference.

Nature of the beast because of what Pattaya offers and is known for?

Does it not attract the most selfish self centered people on the planet?

Rant over

Are there any intellectual responses to this?

I am really interested to hear some SMART replies.
THANKS.

• Like 1

"I have not met more people with less integrity in all my life than in Pattaya, farang AND thai makes, no difference."

The Thais seem normal to me, on the whole.

Most farangs who work here are about as low as they come and most of the ones who live here but dont work aren't much better.

I certainly wouldnt ever lend any money to anyone here, or trust them with anything I couldnt afford to lose.

• Like 1

I have met a few good people here. It's not as bad as you think but sure if you make friends in gogo bars you won't meet the creme de la creme :P

When it comes to Thais I don't mix up with bg's anymore as I don't find the level zero conversations interesting (you eat aleady ? hot mak mak tiled to much, oooh spicy maaak)

Random Thais I interact with are mostly friendly and polite I don't have to complain at all.

Edited by yoslim

you don't like it there, why don't you move ?

People are what they are. In Pattaya, Thai people fight for their share of the cake, and it means hard hard fighting. Maybe you are a farang who owns a large stash of money in backhand, so it is easy for you to complain.

in Pattaya, all these guys who live here, are too lazy to discover the living quality of the Thai province. Matter of fact, in Pattaya you get everything that does not stand for the "real" Thailand. Your impressions of people in Patters are correct, but please don't automatically imply them to the rest of the country

"I have not met more people with less integrity in all my life than in Pattaya, farang AND thai makes, no difference."

Most farangs who work here are about as low as they come and most of the ones who live here but dont work aren't much better.

I certainly wouldnt ever lend any money to anyone here, or trust them with anything I couldnt afford to lose.

Glad to know that you are one of the few exceptions to the rule.

I'm sure you have no problems with snobism.

• Like 1

People are what they are. In Pattaya, Thai people fight for their share of the cake, and it means hard hard fighting. Maybe you are a farang who owns a large stash of money in backhand, so it is easy for you to complain.

in Pattaya, all these guys who live here, are too lazy to discover the living quality of the Thai province. Matter of fact, in Pattaya you get everything that does not stand for the "real" Thailand. Your impressions of people in Patters are correct, but please don't automatically imply them to the rest of the country

The ones who have move3d out of Pattaya to upcountry,are the ones who the op are talking about.There are many very wealthy upstanding people in Pattaya,get out the bars, one can see them then. Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed

Glad to know that you are one of the few exceptions to the rule.

I'm sure you have no problems with snobism.

I dont know many farangs living/working here who are as honest as I am, that's for sure. Many of them are decidedly dodgy, which I suspect is the main reason they end up here.

Snobism has nothing to do it. If you cant see that then maybe you have your eyes closed but that's your problem, not mine.

• Like 2

Pattaya is a very mixed bag.

Many foreigners are unstable, infact drowning.

But, over the years, I have met and made some very solid mates.

There are alot of decent foreigners here. 1 can actively seek them out, or, meet them by chance, as I have.

In my view, with all the warts, the grass is greener in Pattaya.

• Like 2

Op not sure about the logic of you post

1. People who stay in, or visit, Pattaya have no integrity

2. You stay in, or have visited, Pattaya

= You have no integrity

Perhaps the title of your thread should have been:

Why does everyone in Pattaya, EXCEPT FOR ME, have no integrity.

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 2

Sure the OP may have a point, but when standards are low you don't have to lower your standards. There are people with real jobs and families posted here and working in nearby industrial estates. Plus many others who, probably like the OP, stick to themselves, for fear of making eye contact with serial complainers, potential sex maniacs, liars, cheats, women beaters, child molesters.

Make friends with people in bkk; it's a bigger pond there.

Just weed out people you don't want to associate with eg farang builders, estate agents, dodgy developers, serial bar girl shoppers, alcoholics or whatever. If that makes you a snob, so be it, just be a happy snob. I know I am. :D

Edited by doggie888888
  • Like 1

Sure the OP may have a point, but when standards are low you don't have to lower your standards. There are people with real jobs and families posted here and working in nearby industrial estates. Plus many others who, probably like the OP, stick to themselves, for fear of making eye contact with serial complainers, potential sex maniacs, liars, cheats, women beaters, child molesters. Make friends with people in bkk; it's a bigger pond there. Just weed out people you don't want to associate with eg farang builders, estate agents, dodgy developers, serial bar girl shoppers, alcoholics or whatever. If that makes you a snob, so be it, just be a happy snob. I know I am. biggrin.png

doesn't leave you with many options then does it!

when I lived and worked in Pattaya as an 'estate agent' some of the worst and snobbish people I ever met as customers were the farangs who worked in BKK, they had such an high opinion of themselves and were the biggest tyre kickers ever, all they wanted to do when they came to my shop and you asked what price range they were interested in was be vague and then it was a stand off as then they said they didn't have a budget and would look at anything....I used to shake their hands and say 'i've never met a millionaire before'

Give me an old boy from the UK or Europe especially Norway who has just discovered Thailand and sold everything back home and is never looking back.... the perfect punter thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Sure the OP may have a point, but when standards are low you don't have to lower your standards. There are people with real jobs and families posted here and working in nearby industrial estates. Plus many others who, probably like the OP, stick to themselves, for fear of making eye contact with serial complainers, potential sex maniacs, liars, cheats, women beaters, child molesters. Make friends with people in bkk; it's a bigger pond there. Just weed out people you don't want to associate with eg farang builders, estate agents, dodgy developers, serial bar girl shoppers, alcoholics or whatever. If that makes you a snob, so be it, just be a happy snob. I know I am. biggrin.png

when I lived and worked in Pattaya as an 'estate agent' some of the worst and snobbish people I ever met as customers were the farangs who worked in BKK, they had such an high opinion of themselves and were the biggest tyre kickers ever, all they wanted to do when they came to my shop and you asked what price range they were interested in was be vague and then it was a stand off as then they said they didn't have a budget and would look at anything....I used to shake their hands and say 'i've never met a millionaire before'

Give me an old boy from the UK or Europe especially Norway who has just discovered Thailand and sold everything back home and is never looking back.... the perfect punter thumbsup.gif

Yes, you are right it does not leave me with many options but I am looking for quality (at least, my definition of it) and not quantity. I have lots of friends in BKK and overseas, they visit often and vice versa so I am in no dire need to go out inviting conversation with people whom I have nothing in common other than the fact we are foreigners in Thailand.

Sorry if you are offended, I included estate agents in that list by way of example only. I am sure you'd weed me out on your list and that's OK because it's your list and nobody else's. Thank goodness we can get to choose.

Yes, you are right it does not leave me with many options but I am looking for quality (at least, my definition of it) and not quantity. I have lots of friends in BKK and overseas, they visit often and vice versa so I am in no dire need to go out inviting conversation with people whom I have nothing in common other than the fact we are foreigners in Thailand.

Sorry if you are offended, I included estate agents in that list by way of example only. I am sure you'd weed me out on your list and that's OK because it's your list and nobody else's. Thank goodness we can get to choose.

not offended at all, quality over quantity for me any day as well.... thumbsup.gif

I do wonder what people mean by 'quality'.

One of the best mates I ever had in Thailand was a scruffy old bloke I first met in a bar on Soi 8 in Patts in 1995. He was up to his neck in hookers and gin but loving life. He was so much fun that we dragged him along with us for the night and he became a firm pal until he passed on last year.

Conversely, when I've had to put on the old suit and go to those God awful 'business dinners' in Bangkok, I've met some utter w*nkshafts.

Well, there you have it, you have clearly set out what you consider to be "quality". You don't have to wonder at what other people mean. You are happy with a certain quality (quality, nevertheless) and others may not be. It's what makes the world go round.

I simply choose not to associate with some types of people that one finds in Pattaya, and if my life is poorer for it, that's OK by me.

I have lived in Thailand long enough to know that it is a myth that Thais are somehow super nice in the hinterlands. The worst person I have ever met in Thailand is an elementary school teacher who takes pride in stealing everything she can steal from Thais, family members, and farangs. I would never bet on a Thai to do the right thing (that which might involve an element of integrity or honesty), no matter where they live. I do think the largest concentration of people who lack integrity is to be found in Pattaya-Jomtien, both Thai and farang. Pattayastok and Jomtienski seem to attract the worst of the worst, and that trend appears to be accelerating, contrary to "real estate spin." Yes, there are a some good people here, both Thai and farang.

• Like 2

So why post here then?

I've not 'set' anything out here. I'm merely pointing out that the very people you choose to sneer at could indeed be fine people.

If you want to go and play "Rotarians" in Pattaya and go and slap on a black tie, you'll meet some of the biggest villains and lowlifes around. If you want to meet genuinely nice people, drop any imagined standards you seem to have set yourself and try meeting some people. As a species, we're not all bad....

I do agree with you about rotarians in pattaya. Not long ago, a few paedophiles managed to slip in amongst the rank and file. I bet there are still a few lingering amongst that lot.

my standards are not imagined, they are real to me and I still maintain I will not associate with say, liars and cheats, however nice they may be. I don't care if that makes me a snob, I am quite happy, thanks.

Enough about me. Back on topic please.:P

"bar girl shoppers" - I wish I knew that expression when I was a monger - sounds so innocent. Edited by Neeranam

I do wonder what people mean by 'quality'.

One of the best mates I ever had in Thailand was a scruffy old bloke I first met in a bar on Soi 8 in Patts in 1995. He was up to his neck in hookers and gin but loving life. He was so much fun that we dragged him along with us for the night and he became a firm pal until he passed on last year.

Conversely, when I've had to put on the old suit and go to those God awful 'business dinners' in Bangkok, I've met some utter w*nkshafts.

totaly agree with u and a perfect word for some Bangkok tosspots

Exactly my own view and experience. That doesn't mean that there aren't some good people in Pattaya, as there are good, bad and indifferent just like anywhere else - its just that the proportions are different.

• Like 1

I have met a few good people here. It's not as bad as you think but sure if you make friends in gogo bars you won't meet the creme de la creme tongue.png

Why not? the Russians have a very good saying - two things float: cream and sh*t.

If you want to go and play "Rotarians" in Pattaya and go and slap on a black tie, you'll meet some of the biggest villains and lowlifes around. If you want to meet genuinely nice people, drop any imagined standards you seem to have set yourself and try meeting some people. As a species, we're not all bad....

I do agree with you about rotarians in pattaya. Not long ago, a few paedophiles managed to slip in amongst the rank and file. I bet there are still a few lingering amongst that lot.

Certainly not just Rotarians, and not just pedophiles - at one time the West Winds branch of the Freemasons was reported to number ten of its members on the Interpol pedophile watch list.

Sad though the pretentious might be, desperately pretending to be something they are not and never could be elsewhere, the saddest of all are those who have perfectly respectable backgrounds and achievements but who feel obliged to "gild the lily" totally unnecessarily.

The now infamous "Sifu" was a top international mixed martial arts champion, but that wasn't enough so he had to gild it with nonsense about his non-existent military service and mystical (and equally non-existent) training in Tibet. Why?

One well known Rotarian and Police Volunteer (no longer in Pattaya) boasted of his 15 years "as a Central London Policeman" - not actually a lie, but 8 years as a Police Special (volunteer) with the Met followed, after the Met rejected several applications, by 6 years spent checking handbags at Victoria Station with the London Transport Police isn't quite the same thing. Why, again? Those checking bags probably saved more lives, albeit indirectly, than many beat policemen - it just doesn't sound as "sexy".

The list goes on ...

I have met a few good people here. It's not as bad as you think but sure if you make friends in gogo bars you won't meet the creme de la creme tongue.png

Why not? the Russians have a very good saying - two things float: cream and sh*t.

>

Certainly not just Rotarians, and not just pedophiles - at one time the West Winds branch of the Freemasons was reported to number ten of its members on the Interpol pedophile watch list.

Sad though the pretentious might be, desperately pretending to be something they are not and never could be elsewhere, the saddest of all are those who have perfectly respectable backgrounds and achievements but who feel obliged to "gild the lily" totally unnecessarily.

The now infamous "Sifu" was a top international mixed martial arts champion, but that wasn't enough so he had to gild it with nonsense about his non-existent military service and mystical (and equally non-existent) training in Tibet. Why?

One well known Rotarian and Police Volunteer (no longer in Pattaya) boasted of his 15 years "as a Central London Policeman" - not actually a lie, but 8 years as a Police Special (volunteer) with the Met followed, after the Met rejected several applications, by 6 years spent checking handbags at Victoria Station with the London Transport Police isn't quite the same thing. Why, again? Those checking bags probably saved more lives, albeit indirectly, than many beat policemen - it just doesn't sound as "sexy".

The list goes on ...

there was an aussie character trying to mimic him, last seen hanging onto the back of a baht bus with a bandanna tied round his head heading out to the darkside to play army games with a load of pretenders all gearing up to go Afghanistan and work as security... the mind boggles but this character could BS for his country in the Olympics!

Last I heard he was in a wheelchair trying to sue the company that had sent him to Afghanistan!

Bizarre and desperate cretin whistling.gif