Thai Unions Appeal To Australian, U S, Netherlands Embassies Over Abuse Of Thai Workers: Bangkok

webfact

Unions appeal to embassies over abuse
Thammarat Kijchalong
The Nation

Some foreign firms 'taking revenge' against workers in wake of wage hike

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Labour Solidarity Committee (TLSC) is today leading 650 representatives from four labour unions to rally outside the Australian, US and Netherlands embassies against alleged abuse of Thai workers by employers from those countries.

They will call for government assistance and later join others protesting against General Motors (Thailand) while camping out in front of Government House, TLSC chairman Chalee Loysung told a press conference at the Thai Labour Museum yesterday.

At least 40,000 workers have been treated unfairly after the Bt300 minimum daily wage was made countrywide in January, he said.

Some companies outright refuse to pay the new rate, some increase working hours to nine without overtime, some reduce benefits and some close factories and lay off workers, he said. The TLSC has been flooded with 2,158 complaints from affected workers since the wage increase, he said.

The four unions were from General Motors (Thailand) Co and General Motor Powers (Thailand) Co, NXP Manufacturing, Linfox Transport (Thailand) and Electrolux Thailand.

The labour union for the General Motors units had requested annual benefits but it was not only turned down but also faced a counter-request to change the workweek to six days instead of five. Employees would have to work more for the same pay and their breaks would also be shortened, Chalee said.

The NXP Manufacturing labour union was hit with a change in employment of five workdays per week. Their hours were increased to 12 hours per day, from 7am-7pm, with the addition of four OT hours, he said.

The labour union at Linfox Transport had gone on strike to demand benefits, weekly days off, 13 annual holidays and payment for working on holidays, but the company did not respond and laid off 50 workers involved in the strike, he said.

The Electrolux union had asked the company to increase the pay of existing employees beyond the Bt300 minimum, grant an opportunity for subcontractor workers with over six months' working experience with the firm to take the exam for permanent positions, and give a pay raise and annual bonus. But this resulted in 129 workers including union members losing their jobs, Chalee said.

"The Bt300 wage is a good policy but the employers take revenge on workers by changing working conditions unfairly as well as laying off people, so this policy is killing workers. From the four firms' labour unions, we estimate tens of thousands are affected [including workers' families], but that could go up to 40,000 workers and families affected if we take into account other related companies in these business fields," he said.

The TLSC's previous attempts to seek support from the Labour Ministry could not help much because the talks were inconclusive and workers were at disadvantage, while the law seemed to favour investors over workers, he said.

Besides the calls for help at the three embassies, the TLSC and the four unions will soon submit a letter to Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsap asking him to invoke Article 35 of the Labour Protection Act, Chalee said. This gives the minister the authority to make companies reinstate dismissed workers and find solutions to employer-employee disputes.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-13

With the exception of the American companies may be, but aren't the others 'only' 49% foreign owned at the most? Furthermore I'm surprised that the type of companies which I would assume to employ skilled workers who would (obviously?) earn a proper wage, seem to have had many minimum wage employees.

Awaiting more information on this.

• Like 2

With the exception of the American companies may be, but aren't the others 'only' 49% foreign owned at the most? Furthermore I'm surprised that the type of companies which I would assume to employ skilled workers who would (obviously?) earn a proper wage, seem to have had many minimum wage employees.

Depends if they are BOI sponsored, in which case 100% foreign ownership is allowed.

You don't argue with Lindsay Fox, he has always been a thug. kicked out of school at 15 becuase he was a dunce academically became a truck driver then built up his business through bribes and thuggery. Constantly at odds with nieghbours in Portsea and Toorak in the Melbourne area.

• Like 1

Linfox (Aust) is 100% owned by Lindsay Fox and his family. The largest logistics company in Asia- Pacific

Linfox Logistics is one of the largest supply chain employers in Thailand with more than 2,500 full-time equivalent roles (FTE) and over 550 vehicles.

Edited by chooka

Obviously the Thai workforce is moving upwards towards a more skill based group which earns and should get higher wages. As I wrote before I'm still surprised that the companies mentioned did still have minimum wage employees. I'd have thought skilled workers would already be above that.

Equally obvious the parent companies will be worried about mundane things like bottomline and other aspects which made them choose Thailand as base for their regional companies in the first place. Although it takes time to move factories, it's not impossible.

BTW why no Japanese companies mentioned? Those already paid decent wages?

• Like 1

Same as when people come to Thai for holidays, they do things they cannot do in their own country, same happens in Indo they treat the locals like crap , these Union guys need to sit down with the International trade union guys and start some sort of a information based policy and direct this to international media , let the people of other countries know how the likes of Lindsay Fox treats employee's over sea's, to be honest, most would regard the workers disposable articles and to top it of you have the local national management, as in Indo, the worst offenders of them all.bah.gif

• Like 1

Same as when people come to Thai for holidays, they do things they cannot do in their own country, same happens in Indo they treat the locals like crap , these Union guys need to sit down with the International trade union guys and start some sort of a information based policy and direct this to international media , let the people of other countries know how the likes of Lindsay Fox treats employee's over sea's, to be honest, most would regard the workers disposable articles and to top it of you have the local national management, as in Indo, the worst offenders of them all.bah.gif

Good luck with thier actions against Linfox, most Australians know that Lindsay Fox moves in particular circles in Australia. High profile politicians and Union officials as personal friends.

Well, if anyone thinks it is only about an increase from THB 200 to THB 300 ....... is mislead. Those with THB 20'000 push for a befitting adjustment too, which I as an individual can understand. Needless to say, that this is not sustainable and thousands will eventually lose their jobs. I - for one - was faced with an increase in personnel costs of 28% over one year. Result is, that instead of paying taxes we're paying better salaries which results in ........ corresponding cuts in tax payment.
If a populist government scheme is to be borne by the private sector then the private sector will react. Some will move on, others will ride out the storm; after the floods, the civil-war-like Bangkok spring, the closed airports ....... well, I would have never come to Thailand with my investment if I would have known what is on the cards.
Thailand to the Thais, agreed but then act accordingly. Wear Thai fabrics, use 100% Thai inventions (cars, mobile phones, wines) and tell the Non-Thais not to come; the messages keep coming through ........

• Like 1

Well, if anyone thinks it is only about an increase from THB 200 to THB 300 ....... is mislead. Those with THB 20'000 push for a befitting adjustment too, which I as an individual can understand. Needless to say, that this is not sustainable and thousands will eventually lose their jobs. I - for one - was faced with an increase in personnel costs of 28% over one year. Result is, that instead of paying taxes we're paying better salaries which results in ........ corresponding cuts in tax payment.

If a populist government scheme is to be borne by the private sector then the private sector will react. Some will move on, others will ride out the storm; after the floods, the civil-war-like Bangkok spring, the closed airports ....... well, I would have never come to Thailand with my investment if I would have known what is on the cards.

Thailand to the Thais, agreed but then act accordingly. Wear Thai fabrics, use 100% Thai inventions (cars, mobile phones, wines) and tell the Non-Thais not to come; the messages keep coming through ........

Totally agree.

Guess the moaning will get louder when these companies lay all the workers off and move to another country to keep their costs down?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Lindsay Fox won't take any of that <deleted>, he will simply close up shop and move on then you will have a few thousand thais out of work. He built his business using thuggery and standover tatics back in the 60's and bows to no man or woman. He has a lot of high profile friends from union bosses, politicians and other business tycoons like the Packers and Murdocks. He is definately one who will not be intimidated by a few thais. His is a family business so not shareholder pressures.

It is also an election year in Australia and Lindsay donates a few dollars to the labour Party (current government) who are in dire straights so demonstrating outside the Australian Embassy is going to achieve didly <deleted>.

Edited by Kooweerup

Same as when people come to Thai for holidays, they do things they cannot do in their own country, same happens in Indo they treat the locals like crap , these Union guys need to sit down with the International trade union guys and start some sort of a information based policy and direct this to international media , let the people of other countries know how the likes of Lindsay Fox treats employee's over sea's, to be honest, most would regard the workers disposable articles and to top it of you have the local national management, as in Into, the worst offenders of them all.bah.gif

Good luck with their actions against Linfox, most Australians know that Lindsay Fox moves in particular circles in Australia. High profile politicians and Union officials as personal friends.

Yeah Chooka I know , I'm from OZ also , wouldn't hurt for say the US / UK media to do a fertilizer job on Fox, not that Lindsay could give a Sh!!t, what comes around go's around mate.

Linfox (Aust) is 100% owned by Lindsay Fox and his family. The largest logistics company in Asia- Pacific

Linfox Logistics is one of the largest supply chain employers in Thailand with more than 2,500 full-time equivalent roles (FTE) and over 550 vehicles.

You might want to look at the stock exchange, it is there.

http://asx-search.funnelback.com/search/click.cgi?rank=7&collection=asx&component=0&docnum=3774&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asx.com.au%2Fasx%2Fresearch%2FcompanyInfo.do%3Fby%3DasxCode%26asxCode%3DLAU&index_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asx.com.au%2Fasx%2Fresearch%2FcompanyInfo.do%3Fby%3DasxCode%26asxCode%3DLAU&search_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asx.com.au%2F

http://asx-search.funnelback.com/search/click.cgi?rank=7&collection=asx&component=0&docnum=3774&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asx.com.au%2Fasx%2Fresearch%2FcompanyInfo.do%3Fby%3DasxCode%26asxCode%3DLAU&index_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asx.com.au%2Fasx%2Fresearch%2FcompanyInfo.do%3Fby%3DasxCode%26asxCode%3DLAU&search_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asx.com.au%2F

Having given it some more thought, I would remove part of my first post here, the part dealing with ownership. With help of a few posters I've come to the conclusion that that is totally irrelevant.wai.gif

What is relevant is that the companies mentioned (with the exeption of Linfox maybe) had employees on the minimum wage level. I would have thought that even 'just putting cars together' would require some skills and on-the-job training to justify higher salary levels. I'm also surprised that no labour organisations representing workers at Japanese factories are active today. Either no co-ordination or the Japanese companies pay better ermm.gif

• Like 1

The link you provided is for an unrelated company "LINDSAY AUSTRALIA LIMITED (LAU)" Two different companies, two different head offices in two different states.

"Linfox" is a logistics and supply chain company established in Australia by Lindsay Fox in 1956. The company started with one truck operated by Fox. With the acquisition of Armaguard from Mayne Logistics in 2003 and FCL in 2006, it is now the largest privately owned supply chain solutions company in Asia Pacific

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linfox

only?

from 200 to 300 is a 50% increase. I never heard of a salary increase of 50 % before.

• Like 2

The implied meaning in this article is that these dastardly foreign companies are not paying the 300, or firing people left right and centre, when in reality, they appear to be

change the workweek to six days instead of five, Their hours were increased to 12 hours per day, from 7am-7pm, with the addition of four OT hours, to increase the pay of existing employees beyond the Bt300 minimum, grant an opportunity for subcontractor workers with over six months' working experience with the firm to take the exam for permanent positions, and give a pay raise and annual bonus

None of whch they are prevented legally from doing, or are legally obligated to carry out. I doubt very much that any of these complaints are coming from workers who are included in "daily" rate work, but are salaried monthly. Does anyone seriously believe that the boss of somewhere like these companies aribtrarily changes the operating procedures of the company and knowingly puts it into the breach of the law? Instead of complaining to the embassies, they should be complaining to the labour ministry to change the labour laws, but the hours of work, mandated holidays, overtime, overtime payments on holidays are all CLEARLY defined in the Thai law.

As for

"Some companies outright refuse to pay the new rate, some increase working hours to nine without overtime

I somehow think that MNC's have a pretty good legal department who know the law only too well, however, no mention if these might, horror of horrors, be local firms.

Don't the local companies have unions, or are they saying only foreign companies are refusing to pay the new salary or have increased the working time?

Also, it's mostly local companies who employ Burmese and Cambodians and pay them $hit and treat them in a similar way. Maybe that's ok because only Thais should deserve a decent life... It makes my blood boil grr

:cheesy::cheesy: Lindsay Fox won't take any of that <deleted>, he will simply close up shop and move on then you will have a few thousand thais out of work. He built his business using thuggery and standover tatics back in the 60's and bows to no man or woman. He has a lot of high profile friends from union bosses, politicians and other business tycoons like the Packers and Murdocks. He is definately one who will not be intimidated by a few thais. His is a family business so not shareholder pressures.

It is also an election year in Australia and Lindsay donates a few dollars to the labour Party (current government) who are in dire straights so demonstrating outside the Australian Embassy is going to achieve didly <deleted>.

Surely if he ups sticks, the businesses he services in Thailand will still require logistics services. So someone else would take up h slack. That would make the best response to any such threat to be "mind the door doesn't hit your a?se on the way out"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Lindsay Fox won't take any of that <deleted>, he will simply close up shop and move on then you will have a few thousand thais out of work. He built his business using thuggery and standover tatics back in the 60's and bows to no man or woman. He has a lot of high profile friends from union bosses, politicians and other business tycoons like the Packers and Murdocks. He is definately one who will not be intimidated by a few thais. His is a family business so not shareholder pressures.

Surely if he ups sticks, the businesses he services in Thailand will still require logistics services. So someone else would take up h slack. That would make the best response to any such threat to be "mind the door doesn't hit your a?se on the way out"

It appears you have taken the post very seriously

The link you provided is for an unrelated company "LINDSAY AUSTRALIA LIMITED (LAU)" Two different companies, two different head offices in two different states.

"Linfox" is a logistics and supply chain company established in Australia by Lindsay Fox in 1956. The company started with one truck operated by Fox. With the acquisition of Armaguard from Mayne Logistics in 2003 and FCL in 2006, it is now the largest privately owned supply chain solutions company in Asia Pacific

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linfox

I stand corrected, you are correct it is another company. I was under the impression that they were also in cahoots with Qantas, however that deal fell through. Qantas offered Lindsay 0ne billion for the business some years ago but it did not go ahead.

• Like 1

Just because some company's are from another country, it does not mean embassy's have any control over them

Furthermore, they all operate under Thai law with Thai shareholders, so why do not they take it up with Thai government instead of embassy's?

Also why do not they visit the sites and see if those "special" skilled workers have improved their productivity or efficency?

From personal experience, all my staff who came after the new wage have been border line retarded(and i really hate to use the term, but have no option)

They are not worth any money, as they are only costing me money and no matter how many times i explain, train and show, nothing is helping.

I mean, how hard is it to copy price from the menu on to a bill?

Or does it take a rocket scientist to figure one that if someone orders food they need folk or spoon?

Anyhow, back to OP, all those who made to work longer hours and are not paid 300 baht, are clearly not the most productive employees.

• Like 2