Number Of Thai Smokers On Upward Trend To 13 Million

webfact

Number of Thai smokers on upward trend to 13 million
By English News

13631403854873.jpg

BANGKOK, March13 – Despite unrelenting measures to curb smoking, the number of Thai smokers has increased to 13 million, a rise by 500,000 people in four years, a senior health official said.

Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk, Health Department director general, said 46.6 per cent of the new smokers are men and 2.6 per cent women while 5.1 million people smoke cigarettes from tobacco manufacturing companies and 4.7 million smokers roll their own cigarettes.

A survey found the highest number of second-hand smokers in fresh markets and open-air markets (68.8 per cent) while second-hand smokers in households and offices represented 36 per cent and 30.5 per cent respectively.

The Health Department on Tuesday signed a memorandum of understanding with the Thai Health Professional Alliance against Tobacco to jointly promote hospitals and health centres as smoke free zones. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-13

Trying hard to keep up with the smoking in neighboring Indonesia and Malaysia no doubt.

Good business for hospitals treating cases of emphysema, families spending their entire savings on keeping 3-packs-a-day papa alive.

Great business tobacco: gov'ts collect more and more taxes on it, the companies make a fortune selling it despite all the warnings, medical industry profits treating the cases, and with shorter life spans no retirement benefits paid out. Good deal for everyone, except the fool customer.

• Like 2

»Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk, Health Department director general, said 46.6 per cent of the new smokers are men and 2.6 per cent women...«
That's 49.2% – who are the new smokers of remaining 50.8%?

»...5.1 million people smoke cigarettes from tobacco manufacturing companies and 4.7 million smokers roll their own cigarettes."
That's 9.8 million out of 13 million smokers, so what do the remaining majority of 5.2 million smoke?

»Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk, Health Department director general, said 46.6 per cent of the new smokers are men and 2.6 per cent women...«

»...5.1 million people smoke cigarettes from tobacco manufacturing companies and 4.7 million smokers roll their own cigarettes."

That's 9.8 million out of 13 million smokers, so what do the remaining majority of 5.2 million smoke?

Clearly katoeys, the remaining 50.8%, make up the balance of smokers in Thailand.

As for the majority 5.2 million who don't smoke either manufactured or roll-you-own cigarettes, that's why the poor addicts whisper "I smoke you" when you walk past a third sex bar in Nana Plaza.

Edited by asdecas
  • Like 1

If they want to improve smokers health they should stop using radioactive mineral ash as a fertilizer. Tobacco plants have an affinity for absorbing radioactivity. A 30 a day smoker receives 80 milliseverts of radiation per year from particles absorbed into their lungs. 80Ms =10 CAT scans, or about 7650 chest X-Rays. Every Fukushima makes the situation worse. If someone needs to smoke, smoking cigars is a safer choice.

O P's wink.png

That's 49.2% who are the new smokers of remaining 50.8%?

That is local chop chop which attracts no tax or political discussion whatsoever.

The report surprises me, I get the impression that smoking is socially less acceptable in Thailand than it used to be. For instance, I stopped smoking whilst waiting for take away street food to be prepared, because I see nobody doing so.

Man, i could really use a smoke! biggrin.png

Meh too, and six years without has done little to lessen the desire. I'm a one puff away from three packs a day type of guy.

Well done, though. Having quit for 6 years is not bad at all :)