Why Does A Cb 500 Sound Like A Scooter?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh.....

How many people forget that those 400 bikes cost as much or more than a 600+ did. Current 500 bikes are going fir 1/2 (?) Of the bigger ones.

There's also 30 years of emissions and sound restrictions going on.

Simple explanation really, the CB400 is an in line four the CB500 is a parallel twin...... Its the same as comparing a ZX6r to an ER6n....In line fours have a much deeper sound whereas the parallel twin sounds very tinny IMO...

• Like 1

The pussification of motorbikes. Close your eyes and listen to the cbr500 video and tell me it doesn't sound like someone starting up the lawnmower. Seriously, try it - I can almost smell the fresh cut grass from my childhood.

The saddest thing is when people who claim to love bikes support this 'progress'. Like turkeys voting for Christmas...

My 4 cylinder gsxr600 sounds awesome and rides awesome. It never breaks because it's made in Japan but if it did I'd just listen to Youtube videos of other 4 cylinder bikes until the parts arrived...

Seriously though, 4 cylinders and an aftermarket pipe = awesome. 2 cylinders and a stock pipe = laaaaaaame.

• Like 2

I hate this sound, I dont think I will be able to get over it, everybody will think I am driving 125 honda not 500 cbr, they should ommit r at the end for sure.

pussy bike, I am starting to believe that these Thai bikes are the worse garbage ever, the will break down sooner or later, can they be compared to Chinese crap like lifan or something ?

I hate this sound, I dont think I will be able to get over it, everybody will think I am driving 125 honda not 500 cbr, they should ommit r at the end for sure.

pussy bike, I am starting to believe that these Thai bikes are the worse garbage ever, the will break down sooner or later, can they be compared to Chinese crap like lifan or something ?

it would be quite silly + expensive for honda to offer a generous 5 year warranty if the bikes were " the worst garbage ever + probably break soon or later "

i doubt thai manufacturing and quality control is as good as japan but i think these bikes will be fine for the intended market

if you have to have a roaring inline 4 engine ,double disc brembo brakes and 180+ hp then just buy a zx10r ,cbr1000rr ,gsx1000rr , yamaha R1 or have a look at bmw , ducatti ,triumph and ktm but be prepared to dig deep into those pockets :)

theres no point buying a cheap commuter bike and comparing it to bikes that cost maybe 4 times as much or youl just depress yourself :)

right now , its probably the best "value" bike you can buy around 200k in thailand,

if 200k is your max budget but you need more power you could buy a 2011 /2012 ninja 650r / er6n which will be a fair bit more powerful with a 649cc engine and double disc brakes standard etc but they sound crap as well with stock exhaust

The pussification of motorbikes. Close your eyes and listen to the cbr500 video and tell me it doesn't sound like someone starting up the lawnmower. Seriously, try it - I can almost smell the fresh cut grass from my childhood.

The saddest thing is when people who claim to love bikes support this 'progress'. Like turkeys voting for Christmas...

My 4 cylinder gsxr600 sounds awesome and rides awesome. It never breaks because it's made in Japan but if it did I'd just listen to Youtube videos of other 4 cylinder bikes until the parts arrived...

Seriously though, 4 cylinders and an aftermarket pipe = awesome. 2 cylinders and a stock pipe = laaaaaaame.

funny comments again from the people did not even ride it. just do not talk nonsense guys.

cbr500 sound pretty weak like a sewing machine but you guys are from the camp of people believing a louder bike is going fasterbiggrin.png

if you are a sporty rider, even a wave can be fun so it is not about number of cylinders or the sound of the pipe as well if these are the case, why do you own a ninja250?

And, yeah gsxr i agree a great ride and sound but when your gsxr get sick, how long do you need to wait for the parts Jonnyfbiggrin.png and how much do you need to pay for the overpriced scammy big bike shops with no standards? besides, are you sure the seller did not scam you and sold you a cooked gsxr as there are lots of these kind of crashed bikes coming from Japan you knowwhistling.gif

yeah it sounds like a lawnmower yes but at least i know my bike is new and not crashed or cookedlaugh.png

and comparing 800k thb bike with 200k thb bikes? c'mon guys do not be funny just to say something here.

expatextreme, i wonder what do you ride here?

i do not get surprised if you are driving a lifan or a wave.

and did you rode one cbr500 or are you just talking from your stomach after watching a video?

anyway, you hate that sound, you just do not buy it and get a 1000 cc honda for 800 k, what are you waiting for? we would love to hear the noise of four cylinders:) but i do not think so you have money that much right?

cbr500 sounds less than a scooter by the way but it does not mean it is a slow bike:)

But i am about to get the moriwaki pipe to make it sound louder a bit just for the dangers on the road so people can notice me not because i feel like the bike is going faster like some guys here want to get a placebo effect.

it is strange to hear people commenting and limiting a sporty ride with cylinders, sounds of pipe or displacement.

even a honda wave can be sporty if you are competent enough to ride but if you just rely on sound of pipes or cylinders, you are missing lots of fun guys

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

@LoserLazer, my comments were obviously exaggerated somewhat although clearly there is more than a touch of truth about them. In answer to your questions I bought the Ninja in 2008 before the days of reasonably priced alternatives like the er6 range. It's a solid bike and a lot of fun, a real screamer that I enjoy riding around town so I kept it. I did replace the exhaust with an Area P full system though, because the stock one sounded lame and I wanted a bit more midrange. It sounds OK now, for a twin.

The GSXR I've owned for nearly 3 years, done around 20,000 kms including 2 tours of Northern Thailand with no issues whatsoever so I'm pretty sure I wasn't scammed. 2 months ago I had the valve clearances and compression checked by K.Boy of Chicane motorsports in Bangkok and it is still within spec. I also have RedBaron and 59Bike on my doorstep who I trust as much as I would trust someone from Honda as they've been in the big bike business a lot longer here in Thailand. If I need a part that I cannot get here (all consumables such as brake pads, filters, batteries, tyres, spark plugs etc are easily sourced here and roughly the same price as I paid in the UK) then of course I would have to order it from abroad and wait a week for delivery. This wouldn't be a big deal as I have the Ninja or I could use the car, these bikes aren't ideal for daily trips to the 711 anyway. It's never happened of course, these bikes don't just blow up for no reason, they are flagship models that are well designed and built to high standards in Japan so the chances of it requiring major work under 60,000 kms are extremely low. If you buy a cooked one then that's the buyers fault, it's fairly easy to judge a bike's condition when you view it.

And yes, to me the sound of the bike is very important. I don't need it to be loud but part of the character of a bike for me is the sweet note from the exhaust and a high revving inline 4 sounds awesome. As does a Triumph triple. Hearing that howl when you accelerate hard is part of the experience for me smile.png .

@LoserLazer, my comments were obviously exaggerated somewhat although clearly there is more than a touch of truth about them. In answer to your questions I bought the Ninja in 2008 before the days of reasonably priced alternatives like the er6 range. It's a solid bike and a lot of fun, a real screamer that I enjoy riding around town so I kept it. I did replace the exhaust with an Area P full system though, because the stock one sounded lame and I wanted a bit more midrange. It sounds OK now, for a twin.

The GSXR I've owned for nearly 3 years, done around 20,000 kms including 2 tours of Northern Thailand with no issues whatsoever so I'm pretty sure I wasn't scammed. 2 months ago I had the valve clearances and compression checked by K.Boy of Chicane motorsports in Bangkok and it is still within spec. I also have RedBaron and 59Bike on my doorstep who I trust as much as I would trust someone from Honda as they've been in the big bike business a lot longer here in Thailand. If I need a part that I cannot get here (all consumables such as brake pads, filters, batteries, tyres, spark plugs etc are easily sourced here and roughly the same price as I paid in the UK) then of course I would have to order it from abroad and wait a week for delivery. This wouldn't be a big deal as I have the Ninja or I could use the car, these bikes aren't ideal for daily trips to the 711 anyway. It's never happened of course, these bikes don't just blow up for no reason, they are flagship models that are well designed and built to high standards in Japan so the chances of it requiring major work under 60,000 kms are extremely low. If you buy a cooked one then that's the buyers fault, it's fairly easy to judge a bike's condition when you view it.

And yes, to me the sound of the bike is very important. I don't need it to be loud but part of the character of a bike for me is the sweet note from the exhaust and a high revving inline 4 sounds awesome. As does a Triumph triple. Hearing that howl when you accelerate hard is part of the experience for me smile.png .

you are lucky to find a good gsxr jonnyf, i cannot question the ride quality and screams of a gsxr or any inline four with cbr500. cbr500 sounds like a bicycle if you compare them yeah.laugh.png

But, i am waiting for a legal inline four made in Thailand for a good price and until that day, cbr500 looks like the best option for me to wait on. it is sporty - not super sporty - , looks nice, handling wise pretty good and nimble, can commute like hell and it is red!

Cbr500 really sounds less that a scooter, i agree with your point too but it does not change the fact that it is a blast to ride.

What i oppose you is your comparisons between a super sport 800 k bike and a sporty 200 k bike. These are different classes and you get what you pay for at the end and for 200 k you get a lot still.

And just ride it and i am sure you will find it better that your old model ninja 250.

All these domestically made 'big bikes' (read parallel twins) are good entry level bikes but that's about it, an experienced rider who has experienced the thrill of 1000cc+ in line fours will get bored of these types of bikes extremely quick....as did I!!!

• Like 1

The pussification of motorbikes.....you hit the nail right on the head friend, I couldn't have put it better myself.

We are all aware of the demise of the British bike industry, which was a sad day for me. What's a couple of drops of oil on the ground when you have that soundtrack?

That is not a growling motorbike, it is a wining girly excuse for one.

If it performs well then why do you care about the sound? Some of you guys sound like little boys comparing the size of your weiners. If you want a chug chug sound then buy a Harley and have it sitting in some shop half the time.

clap2.gif

I think expat supreme is a bit naive here or simply trolling any bike with the standard exhaust sounds like a hair dryer even my 600 inline 4 in the uk sounds <deleted> with the standard pipe ,it's a minor issue which is easily fixed on any bike by purchasing an after Market pipe.

If it performs well then why do you care about the sound? Some of you guys sound like little boys comparing the size of your weiners. If you want a chug chug sound then buy a Harley and have it sitting in some shop half the time.

One of the things I loved most about my Harley (sold sadly, family man now) was the sound. man it sounded good, not too loud at low revs but a nice thunder when opening it up.

Yes it stayed app 6 month pr year in a shop for storage when overseas working, nothing ever wrong with it.

Off-course one care about the sound when you ride a big bike, scooter never mind, my HD always set off car alarms when starting it (not because it's loud, but more the size of engine) on a parking lot outside a restaurant and the Thais almost every time complimented me for the bike & sound even when they had to reset their car alarms, he-he.

The CBR sounds not good but it's without doubt a very good commuter bike and it's looking good too but it will never be parked outside my house, it's what I will call a good all rounder for a person on a budget, nothing wrong with that.

If the Kawa W800 was sold here officially I would buy one, fxxx what the wife says, it don't have to be Harley to be good/cool looking/good sounding. Hell even a Royal Enfield 500 would do.

The high powered 4 cyl bikes from Japan sounds good too I have to admit, you can just hear that they are mean, LOL, but I am too old for that now man, so I stick to my PCX 150 for the time being and that's no too bad (sort of).

Love the deep deep sound from the Ducati's but sadly never owned one and most likely never will.

I think expat supreme is a bit naive here or simply trolling any bike with the standard exhaust sounds like a hair dryer even my 600 inline 4 in the uk sounds <deleted> with the standard pipe ,it's a minor issue which is easily fixed on any bike by purchasing an after Market pipe.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there mate, the street triple for example sounds awesome with the stock pipe as do almost all inline 4 supersports with stock pipes.

I must have listened to 50 Youtube videos of the er6 range with various aftermarket exhausts (trying to convince myself to buy one) and I just can't get excited by them. To me the single cylinder bikes actually sound worse with the aftermarket pipes, almost like a Honda Wave with the rainbow pipe... Suggesting that any bike sounds great with a different exhaust just isn't the case IMO.

• Like 1

All these domestically made 'big bikes' (read parallel twins) are good entry level bikes but that's about it, an experienced rider who has experienced the thrill of 1000cc+ in line fours will get bored of these types of bikes extremely quick....as did I!!!

well then maybe its time to put your hand in your pocket and buy a proper bike ?

they cost more but are widely available thesedays so no excuse to critique budget bikes being made with budget parts

you are completely right. it is not even scooter worthy, it is as utilitarian as a sewing machine.

when i rode my nc30 all i heard was the whine of timing chains and cams on the four cylinder lump, but i must admit it was essentially silent until i threw a new exhaust on it, adjusted the carbs and derestricted it.

bear in mind the nc30 redlines at 14500. the nsr 250 rr, about 12, but once it hit 7, in the 2 stroke power band, it was as fast as the nc30, and the front wheel would lift. both did about 180 kph

the new offerings, are just sad in comparison.

buy a 'cbr' 500? or spend some time looking for a real bike?

i rue the day i sold my nc30 for 70k, but my nsr 250 rr went the same day for an additional 60, to the mechanic i bought them both from and it was non functional because a rat got into the wiring. i was leaving the country for a while, and selling seemed to be the way forward.

i have offered him 90 to buy the nc30 back, and he laughed, it is now winning races.

looking back, i should have kept them both, because no other bike short of the er6 has even vaguely interested me, and it was a sad approximation.

give me the honda 4 cylinder of days gone by over any of the new 2 cyl 600's.

the mock 'cbr' 500 does not even rate.

Edited by candypants
  • Like 2

There's a bike shop on Soi Siam Country Club (in about 100 metres from Sukhumvit Rd on left hand side) that has big bikes. I went past this morning and they had a CB400 something out front with an A4 page stuck to the headlamp showing a price of 285.000 baht! <deleted>!!!

Maybe no one told em the new CB500 is priced a bit over 200.000 baht!

There's a bike shop on Soi Siam Country Club (in about 100 metres from Sukhumvit Rd on left hand side) that has big bikes. I went past this morning and they had a CB400 something out front with an A4 page stuck to the headlamp showing a price of 285.000 baht! <deleted>!!!

Maybe no one told em the new CB500 is priced a bit over 200.000 baht!

Most likely a new Japanese import.

Still doesn't justify the price for what you're getting. Granted the 400 sounds better and the power is similar but no dealer support and no warranty kinda scares me.

Edited by dave_boo