Iphone 3Gs And Phone Credit Loss

willfreeman

ive brought my australian iphone 3gs with m to thailand and had it unlocked. I purchased a true move inter sim and 90baht credit, i made one short call and then during the night ide received a bunch of messages saying i had next to no credit, im assuming the phones receiving data or something and that uses up credit? what do i turn off to stop this happening next time? cheers

Don't know what version of ios you are using but generally go to Settings>General>Network or Cellular and turn off Cellular Data and depending on whether your SIM is roaming, consider making sure roaming is off.

Since your phone is unlocked just get a Dtac or True or AIS SIM while here in TH. Cheap.

Very timely topic for me. I now have an Iphone 5 so I gave my old Iphone 3gs to my wife. She has been having the EXACT same problems sad.png She had an AIS sim card and she also would have all the funds drain from her phone over night. She only uses it for phone calls and not internet.I had turned off everything I could think of . The only thing I can think of is that it must have something to do with incoming messages. She has the habit of deleting those.

she has now changed sim card to True and now has no problems.

FWIW, without a subscription to a mobile data plan you are paying 1 baht (maybe 1.07 baht with VAT) per minute when you are connected. So in less than 90 minutes you've burned through your balance. You need to turn mobile data off, or subscribe to a mobile data plan. You would be well advised to subscribe to a volume-based plan, perhaps even one which offers unlimited internet usage, albeit with a speed limit of 64 - 384 Kbps once you hit your cap.

Time-based plans are capped at 384 Kbps.

Note that the Inter SIM is from TrueMove and they no longer offer 3G so you would have to change to TrueMove H or DTAC/Happy, both of which offer 3G services on 850 MHz, which the iPhone 3GS supports. AIS/One-2-Call offers 3G on 900 MHz.

• Like 1

what is an "inter sim"? how does it differ from a normal sim?

i am working outside thailand just now, but when i am at home i use a Truemove SIM for 3G - it worked fine 6 weeks ago - will this have changed?

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

I also had a 3gs which is now lost in some hotel in Chaing Mai. I believe you'll need to call your cellular data provider to turn off the phone connecting to the internet. They can give you a number to call for future turning off. The 4S I'm told has the cellular off switch but I don't think the 3gs does.

I wasted a lot of baht discovering this feature on the phone. 555

Settings - General - Cellular

turn off "cellular data" ... quite Straight forward.

^^^ THAT

That's all you need to do.

Alternatively you could get a volume based plan - 350 baht for 1GB/month, or the 150MB plan even. The phone is not using a lot of data but it connects to the servers frequently, and the prepaid cards automatically charge you 1 baht / minute.

How much money have they made by just keeping it this way, and with people not knowing their phone eats data... must be hundreds of millions...