More Power For Samui, Pa-Ngan Islands

More power for Samui, Pa-ngan islands
By Digital Media

13633269129359-640x390x2.jpg

SURAT THANI, Mar 15 – A new power station on Thailand’s southern island of Koh Samui was officially launched today.

The Samui electricity station II, linked by underwater cable from the mainland power plant in Kanom district of Surat Thani province, will generate power to Samui and the sister island of Koh Pa-ngan.

The Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) spent a budget of Bt4.198 billion in building the station and laying the 54km 115KV cable to supply 220MW of electricity to the two islands.

The supply should be sufficient for the total demand for at least a decade, a PEA official said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-15

• Like 2

biggrin.png I'm not saying anything! Lets see......

Exactly! My power here in BoPhut has had scheduled black outs 4 days in the last 3 weeks that lasted nearly all day long! .... I saw the electric workers adding some new cable to the already spaghetti mess of lines strewn up along the main road...so maybe that was to accommodate the new power station???

That is all fine but they still leave all the old <deleted> dangling from post to post , I am sure if they took all the now redundant cable down they would get a good return in scrap for it Koh Samui is a very nice island however with 500 baht roads and <deleted> cable hanging everywhere it is an eyesore Even with this new sub station which is in Maenam I still think we will continue to have loss of power on what seems to be a reguler occurence !!!

A couple of years ago a drainage system was introduced to most main roads on Koh Samui and I must admit has largely relieved the flooding problem, but I could not understand why the power cable was not also put underground at the same time since tunneling had to be put in for the drainage. If the power system had been put underground, it would have saved the frequent power cuts due to falling coconut trees, big lorry drivers who feel power poles are an aiming point and of course the inevitable lightning strike. No doubt some of the outages are due to failures of the main generating system, but................. Oh, silly old me, I forgot. If that had been done, the Minister for drains would not have got his cut, as the Minister for Electricity would not have got his cut.

By the way (off topic) anyone have any connections to recruit domestic staff from the Phillipines please? Can give my mobile number to any positive responders. Thank you.

• Like 1

Hmm so they built a power station, and then they laid a cable from the mainland to supply the power station with power. Logical, no? Just like you build a train station - you build it, then lay down the railroad tracks to the train station, so it can be supplied with trains from another train station?

There is a mistranslation here. It is not a power station capable of generating power, just a substation to handle the new cable that they have laid.

And whilst they have added new cable on the ring road, it hasn't been added to outlying districts such as Bangrak, And Plaileam.

Can the old cable stand up to the extra flow in these areas?. Not an expert but my guess is NOT.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what type of generation is proposed? Coal - nuclear - solar - wind - LENR - gas??

2 options immediately spring to mind......... Hot Air or BS ?

Edited by attento
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what type of generation is proposed? Coal - nuclear - solar - wind - LENR - gas??

NEWS!........"Cackdown" on Coal,Solar,Wind, LENR,Gas ! we are going to go Nuclear and become the "HUB" of power generating in Asia. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

Actually very good news for the Northern part of Samui. The so-called Power Station in Maenam is merely a transformer station to handle the new 115kV line from the mainland. New hi-power cables has been mounted – or rather, the works are still in progress – at the ring road and that work has caused some power cuts, while removing old cables and mounting new ones. It will be my guess that more powerful cables may also find its way to other places in demand for more power, like Bangrak. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

The unanswered question's

Is the new cable installation complete?

Is the new cable supplying power now?

Last time I looked the Cables at the new Sub-Station were not connected to the grid!

When will the new supply be up and running (supplying power to the grid)?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions I think we would all like to know is the system up and running?

Hmm so they built a power station, and then they laid a cable from the mainland to supply the power station with power. Logical, no? Just like you build a train station - you build it, then lay down the railroad tracks to the train station, so it can be supplied with trains from another train station?

Its a sub station, it does not generate its own power.

Perhaps with the gas reserves around samui that they will be drilling soon they can open its own power station. :D....

• Like 2

Actually very good news for the Northern part of Samui. The so-called Power Station in Maenam is merely a transformer station to handle the new 115kV line from the mainland. New hi-power cables has been mounted – or rather, the works are still in progress – at the ring road and that work has caused some power cuts, while removing old cables and mounting new ones. It will be my guess that more powerful cables may also find its way to other places in demand for more power, like Bangrak. thumbsup.gif

I hope so KhunPer

Up here in Plai Laem/Bangrak/Choengmon we are in desperate need of a stable power supply. I am fed up of replacing 'burnt out' electrical items.

This is very good news for Koh Samui.

Well it is if the power cuts do actually stop! Anyone who has lived here a few years will be hopeful but reserving their judgement.

Most of the temporary power cuts in Samui are due to scheduled maintenance for upgrades, new transformers, additional connections to new developments, etc. Its not likely those outages will stop because of this new underwater cable from the mainland. The purpose of this new cable is to increase overall capacity for Samui which was quickly approaching its limit.

However, the Bangrak outages may be reduced though since they are also adding a new high power line from the Maenam station to Bophut (which feeds Bangrak). I haven't seen the plan, but it makes sense that this new line will be run all the way up through Plai Laem and out near the NE tip of Samui where it will then connect to Koh Phangan at the closest point.

Anyone with an actual copy of the plan, please post it.

• Like 1

Can't help but notice the negativity from some people. Why don't you just give things a chance. Damned if they do & damned if they don't, unreal.

I Agree.

For years thay did nothing but at least they are doing something now. Since the Current Mayor came into power many infrastructure projects have taken place.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I think something has been lost in translation. I think they are talking about a Power receiving station not a power generating station. PEA is a power distibution company not a generating company. It seems that they have installed a second subsea cable with a switching station on the island which will provide redundancy in the supply. A totally sensible idea which will help to provide a reliable power supply.

Can't help but notice the negativity from some people. Why don't you just give things a chance. Damned if they do & damned if they don't, unreal.

Why is it negative to be hopeful but reserving your judgement?

In my ten years i have seen nothing to suggest they will sort out the problem correctly but i an forever hopeful they will.

I call that being realistic based on past experience. I'm certainly not damning them if they don't fix the electric situation i'll just be very pleasantly surprised.