Cabinet Members - In Particular P M Yingluck Shinawatra - Told Not To Skip House Meetings

webfact

Its good to see Deputy Parliament President Charoen Jankomol has taken heed of Thaksins skype message, after all he would hate to see his fellow PTP member get their allowance cut.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

IMHO the party list system is to blame for much of this debacle. When MPs don't have to front an electorate to justify their attendance record and parliamentary performance, and a myriad of question as to their morals and ethics, you get the quality of MPs now seen at the top of most parties - dross.

Why should the PM of Thailand get an electorate free ride not extended to the President of the US, or the PMs of UK, Canada, Australia? Because they are rich enough to buy votes?

I think you're quite right there. In the UK even the PM has to be elected to a parliamentary seat. It's true that if you're high ranking such as a cabinet minister then you'll be found a safe seat but even then it can go wrong. Before getting that far you will have had to brave sometimes foul weather and rude aggressive members of the public.

At least Abhisit has done that unlike Yingluck but even so I still think it's a bad idea.

In the UK all members of parliament from the PM down have to look after their constituents as well as their ministerial duties.

• Like 2

What an indictment to the cabinet members and especially the real PM Yingluck when they have to be asked to do their basic duty by one of their own party members.

Actually, to be fair to Yingluck here, prime ministers have to be absent a lot while frying bigger fish - like meeting with the heads of state and government from other countries. She may take orders from her brother on the overarching issues, but she is the (Burberry) boots on the ground when it comes to PM duties.

PMs of other countries (with much more arduous duties) manage to attend parliament, ask and answer questions, explain policy. Do you know of ANY PM with a lower attendance record?

Wrong question. It should be "Is there any country where a PM stays away from parliament and is defended with ardour by foreigners who don't have a say in the matter". IMHO of coursesmile.png

BTW can we skype into House meetingsrolleyes.gif

Ardour? Where in my rational response id the ardour? It isn't really a case of defending, as much as lending some perspective in a forum where a lot of people who are truly talking out their arseh*les spout the cliched 'received wisdom' barstool rubbish without any forethought.

All politics is local... Thaksin, the "puppetmaster", a term the barstool crowd are so fond of regurgitating (same as they do over 'ome with any well-known issue after reading the mirror or the Sun or most other daily newspapers), is losing his grip on things by not seeing the nuances of what is happening on a daily basis. You can't really run a country by remote control. He has been overruled even by his obedient little sister (usually with the support of Thaksin's older sister and his former wife) on a few issues, including cabinet reshuffle positions. Like that other idiot George Bush Jr, she may not be getting any better at being a good governor of a country, but she is getting better at the game of mismanaging it...

Ardour? Where in my rational response id the ardour? It isn't really a case of defending, as much as lending some perspective in a forum where a lot of people who are truly talking out their arseh*les spout the cliched 'received wisdom' barstool rubbish without any forethought.

All politics is local... Thaksin, the "puppetmaster", a term the barstool crowd are so fond of regurgitating (same as they do over 'ome with any well-known issue after reading the mirror or the Sun or most other daily newspapers), is losing his grip on things by not seeing the nuances of what is happening on a daily basis. You can't really run a country by remote control. He has been overruled even by his obedient little sister (usually with the support of Thaksin's older sister and his former wife) on a few issues, including cabinet reshuffle positions. Like that other idiot George Bush Jr, she may not be getting any better at being a good governor of a country, but she is getting better at the game of mismanaging it...

"You can't really run a country by remote control. He has been overruled.......... on a few issues........."

Self-defeating argument. Still haven't found a PM with a lower parliamentary attendance, or dodging the question?

Edited by OzMick

"You can't really run a country by remote control. He has been overruled.......... on a few issues........."

Self-defeating argument. Still haven't found a PM with a lower parliamentary attendance, or dodging the question?

No, I'm actually not sure how one would compile such statistics within a reasonable time frame... Here's an idea... Instead of setting quests for others, and considering the argument won when they don't follow up on them, why don't you put together the figures yourself and share them with the whole class? And my "self-defeating argument" regarding "a few issues" is an understatement... those are the major ones, and recent... on day to day decisions, she is handling far more than the puppetmaster can from his position overseas.

I am not singing the woman's praises, nor being an apologist - the government is as kleptocratic and vile as ever - I am just pointing out an evolution of the situation that many are missing while they chuckle superciliously into their jars about the silly little puppet who sits in the parliamentary PM chair (albeit only occasionally). That puppet is steadily growing a set of fangs. Ask Chalerm about the spanking he received the other week - it didn't come from the big man in Dubai...

• Like 2

No, I'm actually not sure how one would compile such statistics within a reasonable time frame... Here's an idea... Instead of setting quests for others, and considering the argument won when they don't follow up on them, why don't you put together the figures yourself and share them with the whole class? And my "self-defeating argument" regarding "a few issues" is an understatement... those are the major ones, and recent... on day to day decisions, she is handling far more than the puppetmaster can from his position overseas.

I am not singing the woman's praises, nor being an apologist - the government is as kleptocratic and vile as ever - I am just pointing out an evolution of the situation that many are missing while they chuckle superciliously into their jars about the silly little puppet who sits in the parliamentary PM chair (albeit only occasionally). That puppet is steadily growing a set of fangs. Ask Chalerm about the spanking he received the other week - it didn't come from the big man in Dubai...

Actually, I did that, and posted on TVF some time back when it became apparent that Yingluk was following her brother's example.

A few issues was your statement, and I agree - VERY few. You haven't given ONE major issue that is demonstrably Yingluk's. If she sacked Chalerm she might show some power; i await the day.

What an indictment to the cabinet members and especially the real PM Yingluck when they have to be asked to do their basic duty by one of their own party members.

Actually, to be fair to Yingluck here, prime ministers have to be absent a lot while frying bigger fish - like meeting with the heads of state and government from other countries. She may take orders from her brother on the

overarching issues, but she is the (Burberry) boots on the ground when

it comes to PM duties.

PMs of other countries (with much more arduous duties) manage to attend parliament, ask and answer questions, explain policy. Do you know

of ANY PM with a lower attendance record?

Looks to me Puss in (Burberry) Boots is actually a Cheshire Cat, all smile and no substance.

Can't help but compare (contrast) her attitude with that of the first British female PM. Love her or hate her, Mrs T. made it clear who was boss, what she believed in and made sure that her presence at PMs questions was noted.

Perhaps if she didn't have any policies or clues as to why she was wearing the 'I am the first British female PM' badge, she'd be off judging primary school painting competitions when tricky (any?) questions were in the offing.

• Like 1

Deputy Parliament President Charoen Jankomol:

Here is an idea to help you enforce this issue. Unless Member attend more than 75% of the meeting They will not receive total pay.

As Examples:

+75% Attendance = 100% Yearly Wage with no Penalties Awarded. Cite for 2% EXTRA Increase following Year.

65 - 74% Attendance = Deduction of 20% per pay period

50 - 64% Attendance = Deduction of 40% per pay period

35 - 49% Attendance = Deduction of 55% per pay period

Attendance of less than 34% Parliament President to call Special Vote to Suspend Income of Offender and Call to Impeach, Special Election in Offenders Province to replace Offical.

Mr Charoen Jankomol, I think this would make your Members of the Parliament Take notice. Especially if you get this on the floor and Passed when the offenders are absent. If the Members attending understand they are in running for 2% extra Bonus for being there. Think about it if I had income of example +100,000 Baht Monthly, 2% is not Pocket change!

Members are there to do a Job. A job that they were intrusted be the People in their Province to do. They were Voted as the Best Represenative By an Election by the People, For the People! If they just want the money, then let the people find a Replacement, who wants to do "The Job".

Margaret Thatcher when P.M. was known affectionately by some as "The Iron Lady" a well deserved nickname.

P.M. Yingluck, OTOH, has no such title to my knowledge, although some might refer to her as "The Well Ironed Lady"

Margaret Thatcher when P.M. was known affectionately by some as "The Iron Lady" a well deserved nickname.

P.M. Yingluck, OTOH, has no such title to my knowledge, although some might refer to her as "The Well Ironed Lady"

Or maybe the well hung lady, as in puppet.

Or maybe the well hung lady, as in puppet.

Mrs T was respected, both sides of the fence. I'm sure the Leader of the Opposition would have prayed for her absence at PM questions.

Whatever his faults (and I'm sure there will be reference to past misdemeanors), Abhisit is trying to perform his role, in spite of the cowardice of his opposite number.

I respect him for what he is trying to achieve by doing his job.

Perhaps Parliament might move to rent space in one of Bangkok's many shopping-malls, so that MPs could sign-in for their day's attendance-allowances, and then proceed next door to spend it, more easily ? rolleyes.gif

This might make-up for all that boring politics-stuff, which the PM & 'her' Cabinet are forced to endure.

Of course there would be an increased-risk of getting fire-bombed, whenever there was a 'peaceful protest' in town, as well. sad.png

• Like 2