If You Hate Thailand, Why Live Here ?

soi41

I love it here and would never go back to my home country. Thailand is all I think about when I am at work. Deffo not a "Back Omer here"

Your post suggests that you are not here at the moment ?

(i.e. don't work in Thailand)

Aye rotation work. 28 days work then 28 days back in Thailand. Miss it when I am here and love it when I am there!
Understood - and with all due respect a month on/month off does not usually give you the 'full picture' of Thais/Thailand.

I accept that everyone is different but many people I see doing the month on/month off thing tend to live like tourists when they are here. I am just suggesting that that lifestyle doesn't always allow you to see the 'real' Thailand.

I guess I never lived in the real Thailand either. I probably didn't live in the real England, either, since I kept to a fairly middle-class part of town and most of my mates were from out of town as well. Some of us would just rather keep away from the squalor and poverty of "the real England". And the same in THailand.

SC

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Street Cowboy -  

I
guess I never lived in the real Thailand either. I probably didn't live
in the real England, either, since I kept to a fairly middle-class part
of town and most of my mates were from out of town as well. Some of us
would just rather keep away from the squalor and poverty of "the real
England". And the same in THailand.

SC

Not for the first time, you have missed the point - and on this occasion made yourself look rather arrogant.

Don't mistake 'real' for rural or poor etc. etc.

By real, I mean whatever happens, where you are 24/7, each day, each month etc.

By visiting Thailand (this thread is about Thailand) 30 days on/30
days off I think one would have a different mindset to someone living in
Thailand full-time. That may be a better mindset but it may also mean
that there may a slightly rose-tinted view to what you see and do in
those 30 days on. I know several guys who spend like tourists and enjoy a
tourist lifestyle - nothing wrong with that, they have earned the right
to spend their money as they see fit. I doubt they could maintain that
lifestyle living in Thailand full time and, as a consequence their view
would change.

This topic reminds me of the old saying about averages and generalities... "If you have one foot in boiling water and one foot in a bucket of ice then the law of averages says you should be comfortable."

It doesn't have to be either-or. It is easy enough to point out the obvious faults in any country... even one like Canada which ranks up there as one of the best destination places in the world. I see terrible waste in Canada and corruption is common at every level. I see environmental problems that government officials won't do anything about because some large corporation is pulling their strings. The same is obviously true of Thailand and complaining about it is just normal, even if it doesn't do any good.

This topic reminds me of the old saying about averages and generalities... "If you have one foot in boiling water and one foot in a bucket of ice then the law of averages says you should be comfortable."

It doesn't have to be either-or. It is easy enough to point out the obvious faults in any country... even one like Canada which ranks up there as one of the best destination places in the world. I see terrible waste in Canada and corruption is common at every level. I see environmental problems that government officials won't do anything about because some large corporation is pulling their strings. The same is obviously true of Thailand and complaining about it is just normal, even if it doesn't do any good.

I agree but how many people who don't live in Canada or have been there for a week or so on holiday complain about 8 hours a day for 5 years?

I know several guys who spend like tourists and enjoy a

would change.

Not only that but the sort of experience you have with Thais - and not incidentally,the way they perceive you - can be very different when you live and spend like a tourist (depending on how you behave and who you choose to be around).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

lived in a wat for a year.

spent about the same time in a muay thai camp (harsh).

Spent time with a close friend in the slum (sad & harsh).

stayed in hotels and bungalows before (very comfortable).

Have stayed with friends who are quite well off (again comfortable)

I have seen many faces of Thailand from the rich to the poor and inbetween so i feel i have seen enough to know a little.

Despite the negativity isaan is the place that captures my heart most, particularly the old people, I could not live their but the people are very down to earth.

don't bother replying with they want your cash so their acting sweet, they know me and know they will not get anything yet are still sweet.

They have the same humour us Aussies have.

Well said. Love the analogy. Being able to love a country, live in a country whilst criticizing its corruption, dirt, traffic jams.......is important - if we hope to move to the next step of making even a small impact. In the family business I criticize my parents over some practices. This does not mean that I don't love them or don't love the business. Its the same with people who criticize Thailand - whether farang or Thai or mixed; cos' this debate goes beyond race.

We are not debating race but the negatives (and positives) of this country. There's one thing worse than farang who are blinded by negatives and its farang apologists. Only people with some sense of balance in their world-view can hope to influence opinions or to be respected.

Edited by SparklingCascades

I agree wtih you about the Thai country people, muythai2013. They are the salt of the earth and willing to share what little they have with strangers who don't speak their language. I've experienced that many times in all parts of Thailand.

I love it here and would never go back to my home country. Thailand is all I think about when I am at work. Deffo not a "Back Omer here"

Your post suggests that you are not here at the moment ?

(i.e. don't work in Thailand)

Aye rotation work. 28 days work then 28 days back in Thailand. Miss it when I am here and love it when I am there!

Understood - and with all due respect a month on/month off does not usually give you the 'full picture' of Thais/Thailand.

I accept that everyone is different but many people I see doing the month on/month off thing tend to live like tourists when they are here. I am just suggesting that that lifestyle doesn't always allow you to see the 'real' Thailand.

Maybe in your eyes but I have been in thailand for 5 years now. I have worked for Thai Companys (just not in Thailand) And I speak semi fluent Thai. Maybe I would know more than you think. I have owned a bar and now just loving ym time off there.

I think there is a natural tendency in expat groups to bitch. It's a coping mechanism, who else can relate to your problems? I also think Thailand in particular attracts certain people who could not make it back home and are not necessarily here by choice. If they could afford it and get as attractice a girlfriend they'd just as rather live in London.

What part of London, Park lane or Stonebridge estate :)

Maybe in your eyes but I have been in thailand for 5 years now. I have worked for Thai Companys (just not in Thailand) And I speak semi fluent Thai. Maybe I would know more than you think. I have owned a bar and now just loving ym time off there.

Yes - you learn a lot about Thailand by having a bar........

Thing is you can live here and hate certain aspects of it, I complain too but i love it here.

Back in the Netherlands i complained too.. its normal to complain about stuff its not as if everything is always perfect.

If i had a real bad experience back home or saw some stupid news article about something i don't condone i would react just like I do here.

• Like 1

Street Cowboy -  

I

SC

Not for the first time, you have missed the point - and on this occasion made yourself look rather arrogant.

would change.

I agree 100% people who don't really live here don't see the real thailand and are often more positive as this is a break for them. For us its life.

• Like 2

Street Cowboy -  

I

SC

would change.

I agree 100% people who don't really live here don't see the real thailand and are often more positive as this is a break for them. For us its life.

The grass is always greener at the other side.

• Like 1

Robblok quote... "I agree 100% people who don't really live here don't see the real thailand and are often more positive as this is a break for them. For us its life."

I understand this completely and that is why I know I'm wearing rose coloured glasses all the time because I know I don't have to deal with the petty stuff that goes on. I can leave at any time I want. I can just choose what I want and disgard what offends me. But, there are so many things about Thailand that I love that I can overlook the stuff I don't like. Even the police checks for bribery money doesn't bother me. I just view it as a form of taxation.

I wonder how many of you miserable bastards grew up with parents who bitched endlessly about the people around them - seems to be a national sport in the UK and we aren't a whole lot better here in Oz. I don't have any kids to torture, but sadly some here do. .

• Like 2

some folks appear to despise the Thais and Thailand so much that

it makes no sense for them to remain here.

What if one despises 'Thais' but loves living in the country of 'Thailand'? :huh:

I wouldn't say that I despise 'Thais', for one it's too broad a range, but I don't like Thais that have been born and raised here, and have never left the country. I have no wont or need to socialize with them, have almost nothing in common, language barrier and cultural differences will be too much to bother, and their is no need for me try. It's their general behaviour that makes me dislike them though.

On the other hand Thailand is great for my needs. House and amenities are almost for nothing. Great for my bike riding. I like the clash of jungle hills and beaches. And I find the society to be hilarious to observe.

• Like 2

Negative comments often with good reason.

How about "ISO" for companies?? what I hear you ask? well my Wife used to work for a co. a long time ago and they got their ISO cert by paying the man off so how do you think the air safety issue is?? no one paid off?

ISO certification is for sale in all developing countries, not just Thailand

Negative comments often with good reason.

How about "ISO" for companies?? what I hear you ask? well my Wife used to work for a co. a long time ago and they got their ISO cert by paying the man off so how do you think the air safety issue is?? no one paid off?

ISO certification is for sale in all developing countries, not just Thailand

Well as long were not setting benchmarks and using other 'developing country's' problems as a way to forgive Thailand of hers.....

Edited by Almera

I love that story, rct99q. That has been my experience as well.

If people can not like the Thais then I doubt if they could like anyone.

Cheers, it is not all great but there are plenty more positive encounters then negative ones.

A couple of months ago my wife advised me we were loaning our neighbor 5,000 baht. It's her money but she always includes me in the process. I says no problem, what for. "Ping" wants to start her own hair salon business but needs to buy some equipment etc... I am, like always, no problem (realizing there is a good chance we will not see the money again).

Ping opens her (ladyboy, but that is besides the point) shop and is okay for a while. She is really very good at her job, strong hands, and had a good client list. The person she rented the shop from got jealous seeing how well ping was doing. Decides to buy out her lease (called in a loan Ping had) and Ping is out of a job. However one of her clients knows another salon that was looking for somebody to do tinting etc. After applying Ping gets the job and is getting rave reviews. My wife drops in for a visit and gets her hair done up. Chats for a while, I flirt with the "girls" in the front and we set off.

The owner "Angie" it seems had slipped an envelope to my wife when we left and when we got to the car in the envelope was 5,000 baht and a thank you note from the owner.