Looking For A Good Japanese Restaurant

market trader

I like the little Japanese restaurant Gohanya in Moonmuang soi 7, Not expensive and more authentic Japanese than Oishi, Fuji and Zen, these all have to much Thai influence. Oishi is a rip off Fuji is to expensive for what they serve but Zen is not that bad. There are many more Japanese restaurants of course.

Fuji in Pantip is better than the Airport Plaza location. Gohanya on Singharat Soi #3 is better than the one on Moonmuang Soi #7. Zen is ok. Tsunami is great for the price. If you're looking for a buffet style, The Centara Duantawan has a weekend Japanese buffet and Sukishi in Airport Plaza is good. Sorry, but the absolute best Japanese places are kept secret

My wife is Japanese and I am half Japanese. For typical Japanese food in Chiangmai we like best of all The Gigantea. Kitchen Hush is also good. Sushi and sashimi, by the way, are outside what might be called typical Japanese food. If you want them, though, in our experience Takayama offers the best in town. Imoya is nice for yakitori, and has many other 'typical Japanese' dishes too.

• Like 2

I my self have a problem with Japanese food. I am not saying it is not good but unlike Italian, Western, Chinese and to a degree Indian food you really don't know what it is.

It is kind of a closed in specialty.

My boy and I went to Fuji in Pantip and watched a parade of dishes going by that we had no idea what it was or did it need cooking.

Is there a Japanese restaurant where one could get a meal with a description in English of what it consists of?

I my self have a problem with Japanese food. I am not saying it is not good but unlike Italian, Western, Chinese and to a degree Indian food you really don't know what it is.

My boy and I went to Fuji in Pantip and watched a parade of dishes going by that we had no idea what it was or did it need cooking.

Is there a Japanese restaurant where one could get a meal with a description in English of what it consists of?

what are you talking about? Real Japanese food you can see perfectly what are you eating, specially sashimi and sushi, but have plenty of choices like ramen, teriyaki, etc without doubts one of the bests cuisines in the world.

what are you talking about? Real Japanese food you can see perfectly what are you eating, specially sashimi and sushi, but have plenty of choices like ramen, teriyaki, etc without doubts one of the bests cuisines in the world.

I can see perfectly well what I am easting in most cuisines. But that does not mean I know what it is or does it need cooking,

You were doing better looking for the imaginary normal Thai girl that met certain unnormal qualifications.

• Like 1

Fuji in Pantip is better than the Airport Plaza location. Gohanya on Singharat Soi #3 is better than the one on Moonmuang Soi #7. Zen is ok. Tsunami is great for the price. If you're looking for a buffet style, The Centara Duantawan has a weekend Japanese buffet and Sukishi in Airport Plaza is good. Sorry, but the absolute best Japanese places are kept secret

I believe he is right about the best being kept secret. When a Japanese friend was here visiting he said there was a place mentioned in his travel book where only Japanese people went. I believe it was 5K THB for a set, multiple-course meal. He asked if I had heard of it which of course I hadn't. Also when Bob's roast beef shop was on Chang Moi and I would go there, I often saw chauffeur-driven Mercedes and so forth pull up about 3 doors down and Japanese men get out and go inside. There was no sign, only a dimly lit Japanese lamp. Once I was parking and when the door opened I could see a sushi bar. I'm sure this was one of those kind of places. Don't know if it is still there.

I haven't tried many of the Japanese restaurants mentioned, but I haven't been to one I thought was any good.

Edited by elektrified

The place that you are talking about is "Gigantea' that Rassuru mentioned. IMO it is popular with the Japanese because it has some unusual dishes that are hard to find in Chiang Mai. I am not particularly interested in these dishes although someone who has lived in Japan may be. To me, their "regular" Japanese dishes like tempura, ramen and sushi are not much better than other places and more expensive. I do not eat there very often because I can get better value for money (for what I want to eat) in other places.

The place that you are talking about is "Gigantea' that Rassuru mentioned. IMO it is popular with the Japanese because it has some unusual dishes that are hard to find in Chiang Mai. I am not particularly interested in these dishes although someone who has lived in Japan may be. To me, their "regular" Japanese dishes like tempura, ramen and sushi are not much better than other places and more expensive. I do not eat there very often because I can get better value for money (for what I want to eat) in other places.

Looks pretty darn good to me...but most certainly expensive.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Gigantea-Japanese-Restaurant/

Actually, Ulysses G., I question whether the place elektrified mentioned is Gigantea. I cannot remember ever seeing on their menu a set multiple-course meal, for 5K THB or otherwise.

Also, you may be interested to know that I have never ordered there any of the three dishes you mention, tempura, ramen or sushi. wink.png My favourite dishes there include ebi gyoza (shrimp gyoza), ginnan (roasted gingko nuts), shima hokke (a kind of fish that has been sun-dried for a day or two, then split in half lengthwise and grilled on both sides), tofu salad and gobo salad. Some of the yakitori is okay too.

For ramen, by the way, my favourite place in town by far is Kazoku Tei. In the hot season, the hiyashi chuka ramen (cold Chinese style ramen) is fabulous. The rest of the time, I go for their miso ramen.

I was guessing that it was Gigantea because it is the only Japanese restaurant near Bob's roast beef place- unless it is the second location where he got busted for selling opium candy to customers but I have never seen a Japanese place near there.

I can see perfectly well what I am easting in most cuisines. But that does not mean I know what it is or does it need cooking,

You were doing better looking for the imaginary normal Thai girl that met certain unnormal qualifications.

Hahaha we are talking about japanese food and restaurants, dont mix ladies with food hehe, probably you like to eat a meat pie or a fish n chips instead of a good sashimi... So the debate is over.

Oishi buffet is nice, not the best quality but is alright, at least they dont try to put fake tuna.

Near malin residence has a market at night and very good and cheap japanese food, plenty of students.

Actually, Ulysses G., I question whether the place elektrified mentioned is Gigantea. I cannot remember ever seeing on their menu a set multiple-course meal, for 5K THB or otherwise.

Also, you may be interested to know that I have never ordered there any of the three dishes you mention, tempura, ramen or sushi. wink.png My favourite dishes there include ebi gyoza (shrimp gyoza), ginnan (roasted gingko nuts), shima hokke (a kind of fish that has been sun-dried for a day or two, then split in half lengthwise and grilled on both sides), tofu salad and gobo salad. Some of the yakitori is okay too.

For ramen, by the way, my favourite place in town by far is Kazoku Tei. In the hot season, the hiyashi chuka ramen (cold Chinese style ramen) is fabulous. The rest of the time, I go for their miso ramen.

No UG is correct. It is Gigantea based on the map on their Facebook page. The other place I was talking about was somewhere that was noted in a little travel book my Japanese friend had. It was not Gigantea. I think there was a little misunderstanding of my post. I was referring to 2 different places. I have no idea where the other place was as my friend never told me the address. The price of 5K THB scared me away (and my friend as well).

Hahaha we are talking about japanese food and restaurants, dont mix ladies with food hehe, probably you like to eat a meat pie or a fish n chips instead of a good sashimi... So the debate is over.

Oishi buffet is nice, not the best quality but is alright, at least they dont try to put fake tuna.

Near malin residence has a market at night and very good and cheap japanese food, plenty of students.

Read my original post that is what I asked a menu that would tell you what it is. Not just a name, I can air in Fuji and watch them go by and not have any more of a clue as to what they are of do they need to be put in the hot water provided than I do about the sashimi you mentioned. I do know what goya is and suchie (raw fish)

Read Veranda post he knows the answer.

• Like 1

To Hello Dolly in the post above. Sushi is not raw fish it is the cooked vinegared rice, which can be served many way one of which is with raw fish. Raw fish on it's own is called Sashimi.

As for Japanese restaurants in town I've always gone to Ai Sushi opposite the Shell station on Huay Kaeo road. It's 2 doors down from Salsa kitchen. Good sized pieces of fish and a great Yakisoba.

To Hello Dolly in the post above. Sushi is not raw fish it is the cooked vinegared rice, which can be served many way one of which is with raw fish. Raw fish on it's own is called Sashimi.

As for Japanese restaurants in town I've always gone to Ai Sushi opposite the Shell station on Huay Kaeo road. It's 2 doors down from Salsa kitchen. Good sized pieces of fish and a great Yakisoba.

Thanks for the information.smile.png

shows how much I knowsad.png

I like the little Japanese restaurant Gohanya in Moonmuang soi 7, Not expensive and more authentic Japanese than Oishi, Fuji and Zen, these all have to much Thai influence. Oishi is a rip off Fuji is to expensive for what they serve but Zen is not that bad. There are many more Japanese restaurants of course.

Little better directions to Gohanya - they are next to the Eurana hotel - behind The House restaurant. And yes, they are a very good japanese restaurant. There is also Smile Restaurant just off Manee Noparat Road (go north about 100 yards on the road between the "Medicare Clinic - big purple building and the nameless hot pot restaurant.) It is very good with an explicit and extensive sushi, sashimi menu. downside is the wait staff is so busy shmoozing the japanese salary men you could end up facing starvation.