Marriage Extension - Orig / Copy Question

Going to submit on Tuesday @ Korat, this is my first one.

Advance visit to Dan Kwian Immigration the other day, info desk lady gave my wife list of requirements (in Thai) and a packet of forms to fill out, which contained two TM7s and a few other forms in Thai my wife had to fill out asking when and where we met, how long we've been together, questions about my income, etc.

My question is does immigration only take/keep 1 full set of copied documents, or do they want two complete sets to accompany the two TM7s? We filled out both and affixed 4x6cm color photo on the back page of each just to be sure.

Do they keep any originals, like the income affidavit from US Embassy since it has a raised seal on it, or do they want to see the originals to verify against the copies, then just keep all copied documents?

Probably old hat for most, but I like to be prepared, don't want to be scambling around needing to use their PTP copier.

Thanks,

J

Two sets of copies I believe and original of income will be kept. Be sure to have copies of wife ID card and home register as well as your passport/visa/permitted to stay and departure card. Have both marriage certificate/copy and ledger copies. Have selection of photos in/out of house with at least one having number showing and expect a visit and have map for that.

Always take originals with you as they often want to see them although they don't keep them and don't forget get the marriage registration document as well as the marriage certificate.

They will keep 2 copies of everything including the proof of income original letter from your Embassy.

Always have extra photo's too.

I usually take extra copies of each document just in case they are needed for some reason, its' Thailand you can never be sure.

Indeed, take everything. I was asked for my 'capability to be married' certificate, had to go back again a day later.

Which immigration office was this ?

Capability to be married certificate is not required for extension and is only needed before you get married.

It has been asked many times and reported on forum. Reason provided is chance of a District Office providing paperwork without obtaining such so this is a double check to make sure marriage is legal. Not normally asked but it could be so a good idea to get a copy when your get the ledger entry if you did not keep an original copy.

There have been reports of some immigration offices wanting a copy of the affirmation of permit to marry that was given to Amphoe.

If you don't have a copy I would not worry about it unless it is on the list given to you.

It has been asked many times and reported on forum. Reason provided is chance of a District Office providing paperwork without obtaining such so this is a double check to make sure marriage is legal. Not normally asked but it could be so a good idea to get a copy when your get the ledger entry if you did not keep an original copy.

Can you get this at the Amphur at the same time you go for the Kor Ror 2 ?

I was under the impression he meant the "Capability to be married certificate" or similar named which you need from your embassy when you are going to get married and which is used to show that you are not married at that time.

What is the "Capability to be married certificate" form number or the Thai name.

When you got married, you submitted the embassy document to the amphur. So if you still lve near the amphur where you got married, you can ask them for a copy of the embasy document. You cannot get a new affirmation to get married document from the amphur, they can only give you a copy of the embassy letter.

The khor rhor 2 form you can get from any amphur, (for marriage not older than about 12 year, older marriages might not have been entered into the online database yet so need to get from amphur where got married).

Hadn't thought of the Free to Marry cert, thanks.

Yep, got the Kor2 the other day from Amphur office, in addition to the flowery marriage certificate we already had.

Think we are squared away, off to immigration in the morning, see how it goes.

J

When you got married, you submitted the embassy document to the amphur. So if you still lve near the amphur where you got married, you can ask them for a copy of the embasy document. You cannot get a new affirmation to get married document from the amphur, they can only give you a copy of the embassy letter.

The khor rhor 2 form you can get from any amphur, (for marriage not older than about 12 year, older marriages might not have been entered into the online database yet so need to get from amphur where got married).

Thanks for the information.

I did not know that the Amphur kept the certificate from the embassy in their system. Do you know how they called it ?

My khor rhor 2 is transferred to the database ( i married more then 12 years ago ).

Went well at Korat Immigration today. FYI, they took both TM7s w/ photos on each, but only kept 1 copy of everything else and yes, they did keep the original US Embassy pension cert. I had two neatly organized mirror copy packages, which got dismantled in short order and I got back all the 2nd copy extras. No worries, now I have even more extra copies on hand.

Wife had to fill out another Thai form there, said was it was her "guaranteeing" me. Also, the info lady last week forgot to give us 2 forms for neighbor witnesses to sign - I guess this is in lieu of Immigration visiting the house, or me dragging a witness to Immigration office. Anyway, 2 people needed along with copies of their house books and Thai IDs, and a photo of each of them signing the witness form.

Thanks again to Lopburi, Mario and Wayned for answering the questions I've had leading up to this point. I appreciate your assistance.

Best regards,

Jay

Went well at Korat Immigration today. FYI, they took both TM7s w/ photos on each, but only kept 1 copy of everything else and yes, they did keep the original US Embassy pension cert. I had two neatly organized mirror copy packages, which got dismantled in short order and I got back all the 2nd copy extras. No worries, now I have even more extra copies on hand.

Wife had to fill out another Thai form there, said was it was her "guaranteeing" me. Also, the info lady last week forgot to give us 2 forms for neighbor witnesses to sign - I guess this is in lieu of Immigration visiting the house, or me dragging a witness to Immigration office. Anyway, 2 people needed along with copies of their house books and Thai IDs, and a photo of each of them signing the witness form.

Thanks again to Lopburi, Mario and Wayned for answering the questions I've had leading up to this point. I appreciate your assistance.

Best regards,

Jay

Thanks for the info, Just a question.

Was this your first extension based on marriage?

Little bit strange that your wife is guaranteeing you as you have to provide the financial requirements and i never heard of this statement unless it is buried deep in the form she have to sign

The house visit is normally only done at the first extension or it is not done at all.

Also the 2 witnesses is most of the time not required.

Best regards,

Jay

Thanks for the info, Just a question.

Was this your first extension based on marriage?

Little bit strange that your wife is guaranteeing you as you have to provide the financial requirements and i never heard of this statement unless it is buried deep in the form she have to sign

The house visit is normally only done at the first extension or it is not done at all.

Also the 2 witnesses is most of the time not required.

Yes, my first.

I just asked her to clarify on that additional form they put in front of her today. Said it was an "interrogation" of her, asking her family details, my family details and their citizenship - sounds like trying to suss out if she really knows me, and that our marriage is legit.

With the TM7 packets we received last week to fill out, there was another Thai form in there just for her to fill out, asking about me, what is my financial arrangement (but not amounts), where we met, how long we've stayed together, etc, etc.

Takes just under an hour to reach the Immigration office from our house, perhaps they just didn't want to drive that far (once they saw the map), so we got the witness forms done tonight, with a photo of each of our neighbors as they signed the document.

Edit add: They accepted the US Embassy pension affidavit and converted the US amount to Baht using 30 forex. She did not even glance at the earning statement I had printed off to prove the amount, handed it back without a word said.

Edited by 55Jay