Motorcycle Track Suits

loserlazer

My A* Orbiter suit was delivered today- I'm very happy with the fit (6'2" 85kg and i went with a 44/54- it's snug in the shoulders and chest and not nearly as loose in the waist as I expected)- it just needs to loosen up a bit so I can get out of it by myself- the wife had to pull it off me;):

that is a great suit rubbersidedown.

did you bring it from abroad or is it from Thailand?

and does it have some mesh/ventilation on the chest?

I ordered it from the US (which is why I was so pleased that it fit correctly- I really struggled with the sizing).

It's one of the best perfed suits I've seen- it's got ventilation on the chest, arms, legs, shoulders, sides, and hump section (basically everywhere but impact areas)- this close-up shows it better than my pic:

alpinestars_orbiter_one_piece_race_suit_

Edited by RubberSideDown

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a pretty good price on it from a dealer who I've been doing business with for years- normally the suit with the Bionic back protector and Bionic shorts would be about $1100 plus shipping- I got everything for $1000 shipped, and customs hit me up for 4k (the slip had been torn during transit and was illegible and they asked me how much it was- I said $350...) so about 34K all-in, about what it would normally go for in the US- I've got no complaints.

• Like 1

I used the A* measuring chart and had my wife measure me with a tailor's tape (twice to be sure) and scoured the net for reviews from guys who were about my size- I was still hesitant to order a suit without trying it on first, but I was at least confident I had nailed the size (though there was always the possibility that this model just wouldn't work for me in any size- some suits work better with different body types).

It worked out, and I think my research made the difference- I really don't think I could have found a better off-the-rack fit for my body type.

• Like 1

Well i got this one

P1040648_zps2239facc.jpg

The main reason was price. I forget exactly but under $400 plus shipping and customs. I did read the reviews and its a quality suit. Much better suits can be gotten but i needed to realize this is something i may use 12 times a year i hope. I looked at dianese in thailand and there is no f@&kin way i will pay those prices. I am not sure the suits you see in 320sp and those shop are legit. The ones at paddock might be your best bet if your not going to import.

I need to get on the track as bira is less them 5 minutes from my casa.

DUDE, I love those ventilated boots with toe sliders! where'd ya get em?

Dainese perf one piece with hump back (to stop neck wrenching in a get-off), A-Star boots and full race gloves with wrist bone pad and pinky & ring finger sewn together. Too hot for every day riding, so have an ancient Vanson jacket thats an old friend.

Dainese perf one piece with hump back (to stop neck wrenching in a get-off)

That is what I thought the hump was 14 years ago when I got my first hump suit smile.png

Truth is it is purely an aerodynamic benefit when in a crouch. It smooths the airflow over your helmet

onto your back & out the back rather than causing turbulence.

Down side is in a crash it in fact lets your head go back when it shouldn't.

Due to holding your shoulders off the tarmac & allowing your head to hang back

Like if you come to a stop on your back after an accident/slide with a broken neck or back/vertebrae etc.

Allowing your head to lean back when laying on your back would not be a good deal.

Normally it would not except for that hump holding your shoulders off the ground.

Obviously though it is used in highest levels of racing so the aero benefit must outweigh the risk for racers

Edited by mania

That is what I thought the hump was 14 years ago when I got my first hump suit smile.png

Truth is it is purely an aerodynamic benefit when in a crouch. It smooths the airflow over your helmet

Like if you come to a stop on your back after an accident/slide with a broken neck or back/vertebrae etc.

Allowing your head to lean back when laying on your back would not be a good deal.

Normally it would not except for that hump holding your shoulders off the ground.

Obviously though it is used in highest levels of racing so the aero benefit must outweigh the risk for racers

good point. if the neck is already broken, that would suck. i think the hump's supposed to prevent hyper-extension of the neck during the actual tumble of a big get-off. hopefully, no one here will go out and test this theory.

good point. if the neck is already broken, that would suck. i think the hump's supposed to prevent hyper-extension of the neck during the actual tumble of a big get-off. hopefully, no one here will go out and test this theory.

Seen an interesting trend where MX gear is being used in road racing, to try and stop / reduce that very injury. Example: http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/protection/bionic-neck-support-cf.html

• Like 1

This is what I am planning to upgrade to:http://www.dainese-central.com/Dainese-Hybrid-Impact-Guard-Black_A10H8B.aspx but will requie a new set of track leathers

That looks brutally hot- note that the back protector is only CE-level 1 and not level 2, which is often the case with impact protection designed for offroad use rather than street use.

This is what I am planning to upgrade to:http://www.dainese-central.com/Dainese-Hybrid-Impact-Guard-Black_A10H8B.aspx but will requie a new set of track leathers

Garry, you can find that protector at dainese shop bangkok. 10.500 thb but neck/shoulder protector not included.

I am going to dainese shop again to change my suit tomorrow.

I liked it but i want to change it to a laguna seca one piece suit for 5 k more as it has more ventilation and better leather and quality.

post-114750-13651612339598_thumb.jpg

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

Well i got this oneP1040648_zps2239facc.jpg

The main reason was price. I forget exactly but under $400 plus shipping and customs. I did read the reviews and its a quality suit. Much better suits can be gotten but i needed to realize this is something i may use 12 times a year i hope. I looked at dianese in thailand and there is no f@&kin way i will pay those prices. I am not sure the suits you see in 320sp and those shop are legit. The ones at paddock might be your best bet if your not going to import.

I need to get on the track as bira is less them 5 minutes from my casa.

DUDE, I love those ventilated boots with toe sliders! where'd ya get em?

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-FANNING-Mens-Fanning-Sandal/dp/B001PTHDRS

• 2 months later...

I will post some pics of my Astars copies i bought from big wing.

I am a little surprised BigWing sells a copy

You know when I bought my TCX boots it said made in Vietnam

inside so I thought sheesh a copy?

As I thought they were all made in Italy

I was a bit pissed as I had asked

if they were authentic & the seller said yes.

So I emailed TCX Italy & asked

They wrote back right away & said please send pics of inside & labels etc

which I did.

Then they wrote back & said yes it is their product & how did I like it.

I wondered because my 1st email basically asked if they made their boots in VN

but she would not answer till I sent pics with the numbers from labels etc.

Was good though that they answered promptly & were very courteous

mania did u buy the tcx from panda rider? i have been leaning on to get the tcx gore tex ones. post-63766-13711275699635_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

mania did u buy the tcx from panda rider? i have been leaning on to get the tcx gore tex ones.

Sorry X I just saw this question now for some reason

Yes I bought from Panda

Good folks to work with

prompt email replies & fast shipping

• Like 1

mania did u buy the tcx from panda rider? i have been leaning on to get the tcx gore tex ones.

Sorry X I just saw this question now for some reason

Yes I bought from Panda

Good folks to work with

prompt email replies & fast shipping

One reason why i like Panda is they don't sell copies. If they ever will i wouldn't buy from them anymore. There are a lot other cheaper shops to play this "copy or not game".

Edited by wantan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Panda rider has limited selections regarding track suit. But i was there this sunday and they have a good discount on one suit.

Paddock have a big end of year discount now.

Check dainese shop bangkok as well.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bump for this thread.

I'm also looking to purchase a track day suit. Do you think it would be cheaper to purchase in Europe (can claim back VAT) and by how much?

Or any suggestions as to which shop is having sales, such as Panda Rider or Paddock?

The Dainese Laguna Seca suit is being discontinued (for the new EVO version) and there are some good discounts via eBay sellers (ditto the Crono suit)- deals are better on the two-piece suits, but the one-piece suits are dropping as well- even with the tax hit they're probably cheaper than you'll find locally- take careful measurements and read a lot of reviews if you're going to buy something without trying it on first.

Thnks for the updates. I won't buy on the internet as it's too much of a hassle with getting the sizes right and then having to deal with customs and tax etc. I don't mind to pay a bit more for the convenience. The query about buying in Europe is because I travel there a few times a year but I wonder if they would also have perforated suits more suited for Asian climates or they stock more for the Europe climate

Thnks for the updates. I won't buy on the internet as it's too much of a hassle with getting the sizes right and then having to deal with customs and tax etc. I don't mind to pay a bit more for the convenience. The query about buying in Europe is because I travel there a few times a year but I wonder if they would also have perforated suits more suited for Asian climates or they stock more for the Europe climate

I have an arlen ness race suit here which I bought in the UK, in the winter months there are some fantastic deals, just gotta shop around, the suit cost me £350 / 17k baht. It was under half price, stuffed it in me suitcase, the saving almost paid for the airfare if i had bought a decent suit here. Like you I couldn't buy without trying it on, has to be comfortable and a good fit. You will find perforated suits, not as common but they exist, but even in the blazing sun my suits not as hot as I thought it would be, in traffic it does get hot but not unbearable, i'd rather have the protection.

• Like 1

www.sportbiketrackgear do excellant you-tube videos on all their products (also have ebay store called riders-resourse).... unfortunately they won't declare below value in shipping.. i bought a suit few years ago from a different online store on the sizing that i got on sportsbiketrackgear...(it was spot on as the said suit ran a size higher than normal)

i recently bought some boots off them for $300 and was hit with 3500 baht import at the post office.. ouch bah.gif

www.sportbiketrackgear.com do excellant you-tube videos on all their products (also have ebay store called riders-resourse).... unfortunately they won't declare below value in shipping.. i bought a suit few years ago from a different online store on the sizing that i got on sportsbiketrackgear...(it was spot on as the said suit ran a size higher than normal)

i recently bought some boots off them for $300 and was hit with 3500 baht import at the post office.. ouch bah.gif

Edited by William Osborne