Dengue Fever: 13,200 Cases Reported In Thailand

webfact

I know of 2 people who recently caught dengue, 1 in Ban Phe Rayong and the other in Pattaya. There are a lot of daylight flying tiger mosquitoes here in Rayong. As far as mosquito repellent goes the only one that I find that works is 95% deet repellent made in Thailand called Jungo-Ex 95 which you used to be able to get in Boots but is readily available in pharmacies in Bangkok, it's meant for jungle use where even ticks wouldn't bother you due to the deet strength.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would also be helpful if they EVER learn to put the sceen doors in so they are effective on the OUTSIDE AND OPENING OUTWARD so you can open the door - close the hard door behind you and then close the screen and in effect double seal under your own control.

All the swinging screen doors I've seen open inward - any bug attracted to the screen/shade/light/temperature/food odors/breeze sits on the screen door which to go out/in we have to open INWARD - and of course by doing that we are helping them into the house and the opening makes them naturally lift off and fly..........not to mention the hard doors that open outward are a lot easier to gain entry to if someone else would like to enter the house and help themselves.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Since we moved into a condo in the 26th. floor we are almost free from this pest... Only on days without wind they come up to as high as the 26th. floor. Then we keep the doors closed, easy.

Outside only with long trousers...

Mosquito biting? The last one was from months ago...

had dengue myself and did a lot of research

mossies which transfer dengue usually live /prefer to live inside ones house and as posted above usually feed [suck blood] during the daylight hours

only female mossies suck blood and for the sole purpose to gain enough energy to lay eggs

the biggest problem with dengue is people don't isolate themselves once they know they have it , as there is no cure many dont bother doing anything and they are meanwhile still able to transfer the virus by socializing with other people

mossies are not born with the virus , they have to bite someone with it ,then bite another person to make the transfer

check this very informative website and educate yourself a bit more

www.denguevirusnet.com

cheers

• Like 2

My Thai doctor told me if I have Dengue fever once this has an innoculation effect if I catch the disease again.

The second time is not so bad.

But I read a journal that said the second time is worse and you can be seriously ill.

So who do I believe?

As I have said in other threads on Dengue. I have had it twice in the past three years. For me the second time was not as bad as the first. I don't know why but that was how it was for me.

i had dengue years ago ,so i keep an eye on these stories and i am sure there was an article here only a week or two ago that said dengue cases are less than last year and no deaths .and yer tominbkk ,i want to know were they are being reported too

.mozzie hater.

Sad rule of thumb here. Believe none of what you hear or read and less than half what you see

supposedly making a tea out of Papaya leaves is supposed to cure by causing the bone marrow to ramp up blood platelet production.

Never tried it so can't recommend it but have seen some people recommend it on Facebook etc.

It's worth a try if you get it.. Papaya trees are all over the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJNwr801_8

As mentioned by Samuibruno, the mosquitos that transmit Dengue bite during the day so to be safe you need to use a repellant as soon as you get up in the morning. Personally, I don't use DEET products for a variety of reasons and have found alternatives which are just as effective but it seems that the little b*****s are now becoming tolerant to DEET anyway! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21519998.

• Like 1

.. many dont bother doing anything and they are meanwhile still able to transfer the virus by socializing with other people...

Dengue isn't infectious. The instances of person-to-person infection is via blood products such as transfusions, organ donations and possibly child birth. You won't catch dengue having a beer in a pub or doing the horizontal mambo later.
  • Like 1

.. many dont bother doing anything and they are meanwhile still able to transfer the virus by socializing with other people...

Dengue isn't infectious. The instances of person-to-person infection is via blood products such as transfusions, organ donations and possibly child birth. You won't catch dengue having a beer in a pub or doing the horizontal mambo later.

Infected human beings transfer it by infecting other mosquitoes - and these spread the disease further...

sometimes you have to think around the corner...

what are the best precautions tips? There are several products like lotions, candles and whatnot, but what does really work?

There is a wide range of lotions and sprays available on the shelves of most supermarkets in Thailand, and probably some in 7/11 too. I have been using Thai lotions containing 12 or 13% or 15% DEET for 6 years in Thailand and they all work fine. I dont like using any sprays as u always breathe in some of the chemicals during application. I dont like breathing in the fumes from the burning coils either. DEET is safe on your skin but I dont want it in my lungs. I find that u do not need the higher concentrations (25% up) of DEET as they seem to always sell in the West.My favoured Thai brand is 'Soffell' floral. Mild pleasant odour that soon fades away,..and its really cheap. They also sell small sachets of lotion for 4/5/6 baht.
last week I bought a bottle of citronella oil in water with a spray top only 100 baht.

It is a strong smell but pleasant and no chemicals whatsoever

I have always kept a tan, and never have had much of a problem from mosquitos. (Knock on wood!) On the other hand, my son, who is a redhead and white skinned, gets eaten alive. Try tanning unless you are afraid of getting cancer from it.

Just give every arriving passenger a small bottle of aeroguard once they clear immigration, problem solved.

You don't happen to hold shares in the company that makes aeroguard do you ?

Not at all. I just know the tropical strength works. Yes it contains DEET.

Out of curiosity, is it available in Chiang Mai?

David

Yes, one of my friends got it two month ago.

zappalot, on 18 Mar 2013 - 10:49, said:

NanLaew, on 18 Mar 2013 - 10:44, said:

samuibruno, on 18 Mar 2013 - 09:10, said:

Infected human beings transfer it by infecting other mosquitoes - and these spread the disease further...

sometimes you have to think around the corner...

That vector is recognised but persons who has dengue THEMSELVES aren't infectious; you won't catch it if they sneeze, cough or touch you. If a mossie bites them while they are infected, the mossie becomes infected and then bites someone else, spreading it that way. The infection is transmitted in the saliva of the biting insect, not in the infected blood.

I have always kept a tan, and never have had much of a problem from mosquitos. (Knock on wood!) On the other hand, my son, who is a redhead and white skinned, gets eaten alive. Try tanning unless you are afraid of getting cancer from it.

Sorry but that's complete nonsense and drawing a conclusion like that from a sample of to is just a joke. Despite all the posts here on TV and elsewhere and info on govt websites in almost every country in the world there seems to be a MASSIVE mount of ignorance about Dengue - comments like Samui's are just the tip of the iceberg.

the info is there - in many languages too - read it!

DEET - which is one of the few effective repellants, is effective for limited periods of time and be aware there are many concerns about how safe it is for prolonged or repeated use. Also it has been shown to be no more effective in quantities of more than about 30% - so if you get "80%" DEET spray, you are wasting your time - and probably money, and endangering your health.

Edited by wilcopops

what are the best precautions tips? There are several products like lotions, candles and whatnot, but what does really work?

There is a wide range of lotions and sprays available on the shelves of most supermarkets in Thailand, and probably some in 7/11 too. I have been using Thai lotions containing 12 or 13% or 15% DEET for 6 years in Thailand and they all work fine. I dont like using any sprays as u always breathe in some of the chemicals during application. I dont like breathing in the fumes from the burning coils either. DEET is safe on your skin but I dont want it in my lungs. I find that u do not need the higher concentrations (25% up) of DEET as they seem to always sell in the West.My favoured Thai brand is 'Soffell' floral. Mild pleasant odour that soon fades away,..and its really cheap. They also sell small sachets of lotion for 4/5/6 baht.
last week I bought a bottle of citronella oil in water with a spray top only 100 baht.

It is a strong smell but pleasant and no chemicals whatsoever

Of course it has chemicals everything has molecules and therefore chemicals!...and there are concerns for it's safety too.

citronaella has been shown to work, burt as it falls outside a lot of "medical" regs, there's little to stop people putting synthetic substances in to make it more effective.

vis-avis the récent "Black Ant power" fiasco.

" 2002 study by the University of North Carolina and the University of Florida (published in the New England Journal of Medicine), found that products containing about 24 per cent DEET protected people for almost four hours. By contrast, products with citronella provided just 19 minutes of protection. The study said the most effective natural repellents contained eucalyptus oil, which provided almost two hours of protection from bugs"

Edited by wilcopops

Own precautions against the mosquito is the best advice so far.

The mosquito breeds on the surface of water and so the firt thing to do is empty all jugs, containers, stagnant ponds or unused swimmimg pools around your houses to take away the breeding site. Also keep checking these remain empty as it will only take one small rain shower to fill them again.

If you like ponds around your house make sure the water is moving and you put in some fish as these will eat the larvae and keep the problem managed to a beter level.

If you do all of the above and still have issues then investigate further within surrounding properties as many remain un-occupied and this often means ponds and pools become heavily infested.

Good luck and take care as this is a serious problem.smile.png

Aedes does not need stagnant water to breed - but as you say it can multiply in the smallest of puddles. In somer countries it is illegal to have ponds etc without fish in them.

The thing is the mozzie has to bite an infected person first before it can bite you........so you need to ensure that your NEIGHBOURS are not providig breeding grounds for the mozzie.

The animal has a limited flight range and life span and feeds only once or twice a day...........so if you can PROTECT yourself from getting bitten then you are on to a winner. Spraying yourself with DEET is only really a temporary profilactic.

because of the mozzie's life cycle Degue likes it's population close together......it is vey resilient and is now spreading worldwide, including Europe...........

Edited by wilcopops

Unfortunately I know one of the victims of Dengue,

I have sponsored some children for a numer of years in Pattaya Orphanage and have met them and their classmates on many occasions - Sadly 7 year old Tah (one of my sponsored kids classmates) died on January 29th from this disease. I confess to knowing little about it before this tragedy but am surprised how little defense there is against this. He was a really nice and happy little guy.

http://thepattayaorphanage.org/?s_page=13&ac=2013&page_sys=updatenews

RIP

I remember the days when drains used to be sprayed. Haven't seen this preventative action in years!

And the I see that the infection is four times higher than last year - wow. Could mean that the mossie population carrying these diseases has increased fourfold - lack of spraying?

I have two plants which are, so I heard, disliked by mosquitos:

- Takrai hom. (looks like lemongrass)

- Ton hom

Are there any other plants who would have the same reputation?

I'd like to plant them all around the house.

post-80541-0-49079800-1363623460_thumb.j

My Thai doctor told me if I have Dengue fever once this has an innoculation effect if I catch the disease again.

But I read a journal that said the second time is worse and you can be seriously ill.

So who do I believe?

And what symptons should we be looking out for?

Just give every arriving passenger a small bottle of aeroguard once they clear immigration, problem solved.

Obviously, no idea how serious this disease is. Have had it twice in indonesia - completely disabling, painful, life threatening with the added bonus of about a year's worth of fatigue and flashbacks. Aeroguard will not save you

So who do I believe?

Your doctor is a clown. I and many others have had it twice. During WWII, soldiers had it multiple times. And yes, the second time is more dangerous but has one advantage - you recognise what you have got and can plan for that brief window (one or two days when the symptoms subside and then return) to get the hell out.

"The survey conducted by the Department of Disease Control on mosquito larva population in 190 districts found that over 70 percent of mosquito larvae originated from water containers in households."

I don't know about anyone else, but around my piece 'o paradise, like many areas in Thailand, there are large tracts of low lying agricultural ground or just undeveloped/low land, which holds shallow, stagnant water very nicely. I presume much of this is privately held land, so that may be counted as household standing water. At any rate, I can prevent standing water at my place all day long, but I'm surrounded by mozzie incubators on an industrial scale. It's SE Asia, fact of life and one of a few tradeoffs living here I reckon.

A micro-scale compared to vast Thailand, but one year where I lived in the Middle East, had a bad mozzie problem and we had no standing water laying around. Government, which was irritatingly trying to demonstrate they were responsible and responsive to the citizenry or, they actually cared, paid for big lorries to go around and spray white power in all municipal neighborhood areas. Mozzie problem over, guess it killed larvae too. Read here recently somebody had seen that once in their village, but the head man quit doing it, guess the money is better spent elsewhere.

I wouldn't propose anything so dramatic as action on the part of the Thai government. How to address this massive scale yet natural, cyclic problem? Maybe that's the problem, it's too big, they just can get their head around it, don't know where to start? Rather, perhaps, doing so would take a lot of money (ding ding ding!) and the large incubators, if that's true, are privately owned - so not the domain of government? Folding of arms and not taking responsibility seems easy here. Can we expect individual land owners to take action and spend 1 satang, even if ordered top down from BKK to muni offices? Probably not.

So I reckon every year, more news stories, facts and figures indicating a National "outbreak" is going on, the root cause of which is known, problem predicted to get worse, case load and deaths rising, establishment of a "war room" with flashing lights and people holding important looking clip boards I presume, but all we get is another government "survey" telling us the same as last year.

Last posted article directed public health offices to control the mozzie population, but my take away was you're on your own, wear repellent.

Dengue mosquitos do not breed in stagnant water, such as swamps, bush land or mangroves. Neither do they breed in flowing water such as creeks and rivers. See more info here: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/dengue/info/mosquito.asp

So who do I believe?

I am no expert but I do know that you do NOT build up an immunity, just as you do not to many other vector borne diseases. That's why so many servicemen died of it in WWII.

In my cases, symptoms were similar to malaria - fevers, delirium, headaches, temperature over the top and excruciating pain. It used to be called 'break bone fever' because of very severe pains in the joints. Other distinguishing features in my case were photophobia, as in migraines and a peculiar rash, that in WWII they called 'gloves and boots', where you have inflammation on your lower arms and lower legs. The inflammation is that type where if you press it a white spot emerges briefly, if you know what i mean.

I was misdiagnosed as having malaria or some other mosquito borne disease, such as Ross River virus ( a type of encephalitis). The weird rash should have given it away.

There was also a peculiar incubation period of 1-2 days where the symptoms briefly disappear. That is the time to move and get out (as I did the second time in Indonesia).

I had been very conscientious about mosquito repellent and anti-malarials. However, on the bright side, its a great way to lose a lot of weight very quickly

So who do I believe?

There are two kinds of Dengue fever. The ordinary Dengue fever is usually not fatal if treated promptly. The nastier version is called Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever and is much more deadly. Years ago I used to edit reports for Uncle Sam on this subject. Don't recall all the details now. To get more info, google "dengue hemorrhagic fever." If I recall folks who have had Dengue fever are susceptible to the nastier version.