Looking For Mexican Restaurant

Guest chingy

I agree about the Gordos "tourist" burritos, but I still ate a lot of them as I lived at 47th and Geary for quite a while.

I'll tell you what, Mission Street is better, but still, I'd happily pay 1,000 baht for a Gordos chicken super-burrito right about now! :o

Gordos was actually on (I think) 25th and Geary, with Clement one block away towards California Street.

But don't they want Mex food in LOS ?

Guest chingy

all i ask was a good mexican food restaurant in bangkok, they all gave me a restaurant across the sea. its not gonna help now would it. :o

chingy, I feel for you, but you've been asking this question for months, and no reply.

I'll tell you what, Ajarn, or Larry Lek, is a really good cook and a really good guy!

If he says that his Mexican food is good, I believe him.

I suggest you start kissing his ass on-line as often as possible, and get him to invite you to Chiang Mai for a Mexican dinner.

By the way, smootch, smootch, :o I want to go too!

I agree about the Gordos "tourist" burritos, but I still ate a lot of them as I lived at 47th and Geary for quite a while.

I'll tell you what, Mission Street is better, but still, I'd happily pay 1,000 baht for a Gordos chicken super-burrito right about now! :D

Gordos was actually on (I think) 25th and Geary, with Clement one block away towards California Street.

Man, I loved that part of the city...The wind, the fog, the park, the beach...

Some great Chinese food close by, too

But, as a taxi driver at night, I hated getting calls out there. So often, it was a long drive from downtown (admittedly made easier by well-timed lights on Geary all the way), only to pick up an old guy going two blocks to the bar, or, doing the same trip, but now taking him home from the bar.

Still, a Great City. :D

Hey, George, I'd be happy to split that burrito with you for 500 baht :D

I would love to get some Flynts BBQ on San Pablo, in Oakland. Their ribs and links are to cry for :o

chingy, I feel for you, but you've been asking this question for months, and no reply.

I'll tell you what, Ajarn, or Larry Lek, is a really good cook and a really good guy!

I suggest you start kissing his ass on-line as often as possible, and get him to invite you to Chiang Mai for a Mexican dinner.

By the way, smootch, smootch, :o I want to go too!

Yes, I'm a guy who enjoys his food, and it shows! :D

And my big butt likes a big smoochie! :D (minus the tongue, boys!) :D

I love to cook, but since my stroke, that's not possble anymore...

However, I was lucky enough to hire a housekeeper with a brain! I've taught her how to make pancakes that don't bite back, hamburgers w/o the ham, and mexican food like a Mexican... Just show her one time, and she's got it. Last night I taught her how to make Coney Island Corn Dogs. Yum :D

Anyway, I'm always open to sharing meal with any other relatively sane folk, if yer' in the neighborhood.

Guest chingy

that would be nice, the lady and i should fly up there for 500baht each, have the dinner and fly home, air ticket=1,000baht for 2, taxi=200-300baht, a well worth dinner another 1,000baht, total around=2500-3000baht not bad, same price as going out on friday night in bangkok. :o

all i ask was a good mexican food restaurant in bangkok, they all gave me a restaurant across the sea. its not gonna help now would it.  :o

You've been working awfully hard to get an answer here, man, so let me see if I can acutally give you one that's useful.

Over the last ten years or so I've probably tired every excuse for a Mexican restaurant in Thailand at one time or another. And here's the answer you been asking for.

In Bangkok, they're all awful. Maybe worse than awful. Don't waste your time. If you're really desperate, Doug Harrison used to have a Mexican buffet on Tuesday nights at Bourbon Street and that's where I would go. The qualitity is about equal to a collection of frozen El Patio TV dinners, so don't expect much. Still, the food is recognizable and the place is pleasant, and both of those things do count for something.

If you want a decent Mexican meal in Thailand, you're going to have to drive to Pattaya. There's a place in Soi 6 just off Beach Road called Tequila Reef that in the past has served unquestionably the best Mexican food I have ever eaten anywhere outside of the US (maybe even outside of Texas). One of the partners is (was?) a San Francisco guy who is actually an experienced restaurant professional and last year at least he was cooking in the kitchen there personally most of the time.

However, THIS IS A WARNING. He and another partner have since opened a restaurant in Bangkok in additiona to the one in Pattaya and my understanding is that he is now 'back and forth.' If there's a white guy in the kitchen in Pattaya, I recommend Tequila Reef without reservation. If he's left it to the local lads on the night you're there, you're on your own.

I hope this helps. Your persistence has certainly earned you a sensible answer to the question you asked in the first place.

Did Tequila Reef used to be called something like Blue Parot?

That was supposed to be the best Mexican food in Thailand about 10 years ago and it seems like it would be in about the same area of Pattaya. I haven't heard about it for some time.

It was OK if desperate, but we have one or two of that quality in Chiang Mai now.

Silver Dollar Bar in Washington Square offers " Tex-Mex" menu. in addition to other US staples

Nachos I found to be very poor, tacos (65baht each i seem to recall) edible.

They offer a breakfast menu as well.

Perhaps worth trying if you really need a Mexican fix

If its any consolation, you can't get decent Thai food in Mexico either.

Thailand and Mexico need to get closer and do a chef exchange program.

San Francisco style burritos (and tacos etc) are not really Mexican food, they are Cal-Mex variation, but can be really, really good, and ###### I wish they had something close to it in Thailand. I have never seen a San Francisco style burrito in Mexico, but the real Mexican food there compensates quite well.

Did Tequila Reef used to be called something like Blue Parot?

Nope, different place. The Blue Parrot is still around as far as I know however, at least it was a few months ago, but it is in Soi Pattayaland 2 (I think). I went into the Blue Parrot once and it looked so awful I left without eating. No aircon, dirty, stinky, and sweaty.

Tequila Reef, by happy contrast, is quite a nice place. A big aircon room with comfortable booths, a bar, and big windows. Regardless, I always sit at one of the small tables out on the porch and watch the girls from the beer bars across Soi 6 hustle the punters wandering by. You are sort of tucked behind some fairly big plants out there and get a nice view of the action without being in the middle of it. The best mealtime entertainment in town, I think.

I seem to remember there was a decent Mexican "tex mex" resturant out Ramkamhaeng way, in the Town-in-town residential estate. Remeber it being very tasty, one of those, you have to know where it is restuarants that serves up decent food. Run by an American and his wife living the quite life in the BKK burbs.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name.

Guest chingy
I seem to remember there was a decent Mexican "tex mex" resturant out Ramkamhaeng way, in the Town-in-town residential estate

i live around that area, pretty muh know the area very well, don't recall seeing one

I seem to remember there was a decent Mexican "tex mex" resturant out Ramkamhaeng way, in the Town-in-town residential estate.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name.

Town In Town Hotel has a restaurant that supposedly does pretty good Mexican. I stopped there one time to try it out and they said it is available only after 5PM in a buffet. Prices were dirt cheap for the buffet (less than 200 baht I think) but haven't been back in that are after 5pm so can't comment on the quality of Mexican food.

Had Thai food that was okay but not real special. I'll try it again for Mexican food one of these days.

What about the old cafe on Patpong 1, about halfway. Used to be run by Big (Wild?) Bill... I used to go there for lunch sometimes because Patpong is clear of vehicles and prople during the day, so parking for this cafe is easy..

Anyway, I remember they did a pretty good job many types of NY Food, and also decent tacos and burritos...Real nice folks, too.

Guest chingy

you mean the one at the center of Patpong, i think, don't remember the name, the food not too good, mostly for drinking food

I still vote on JOSE'S in Nong Kai...... #1.

Home School 101,,, 1 kilo chicken breast,,,, Marinated in homemade fahita mix,,, Grilled and chopped... Blenderize garlic,,, tomato,,, cummin, salt, papricka, lime juice, salt, to taste for SALSA....... Heated flour tortillias from FOODLAND filled with all this stuff... With some chopped lettuce,,,,, For breakfest add scrambled eggs....... Topped off with grated cheddar or any available cheese.... Drown it with SALSA or GREEN CHILLI SAUCE

Correction to the last few posts.

Tequila Reef is NOT on Soi Yodsak (Soi 6) but a couple of hundred metres further South, across Pattaya Klang, in Soi 7.

But it's well worth a visit.

Right you are and thanks for making the correction. Somehow all those soi number tend to blur together for me when I start to tell other folks where places are. You would have figured no one could ever mix up the lovely and bucolic Soi Yodsak with any place else on the entire planet, wouldn't you?