Koh Kood Or Koh Chang

muythai2013

As I mentioned in the nightclub Thread, Will be in Thailand soon. (not soon enough)

want to kick back in a nice little island for a bit, with our two kids 9 years, the other 8 months.

we don't want to stray to far from BKK so what Island is better for a family looking for family like things.

We will bring the mother in law, one she is an awsome woman who is like my ma, two she can babysit in the rare times we may head out if we do.

What is your Island of choice, Koh Larn reminded me of Russia somewhat for obvious reasons, any of you been to kood or chang.

There are a number of reports of sand flies on Koh Kood, so if you have kids be wary & go for Koh Chang. There are many web sites that provide info on things to do, restaurants etc on Koh Chang - it's a beautiful island and not so overrun with tourists.

Koh Samet is closer, you may like to check it out. Some people still like the place, but starting to suffer with the large volume of day tourists from Pattaya.

I love Koh Chang, many beaches off the beaten track, not too much in your face bar girls. The island usually shuts down at 11pm on most of the island. Its just the mountain roads, with kids you need to worry about the very steep and knackered roads, a hired car would be far better than a cheap motorbike.

• Like 1

I love Koh Chang, many beaches off the beaten track, not too much in your face bar girls. The island usually shuts down at 11pm on most of the island. Its just the mountain roads, with kids you need to worry about the very steep and knackered roads, a hired car would be far better than a cheap motorbike.

I also love Koh Chang, it's the second biggest Island in Thailand second to Phuket. I have been going there for years and found it to be family friendly, as that is what the OP is looking for.

I would have to say for the best part of the Island to stay, that would be White sands Beach area, as it has all the modern cons you require for the family. If you get out of town a bit, it is hard to find a place late to eat and the transport stops about 11PM. So you are really stuck until the next morning.

• Like 1

Went in koh samet last weekend. Beautiful island, I liked it more then koh chang and koh samoui. Those are the only island i've been too.

The beaches in koh samet are beautiful, there are many little bays, so you can swim and the children can go into the water. In the evening there are numerous restaurants on the beach front. Although there were many tourists we didn't feel the crowd, plenty of space for everybody.

Go to Ko Chang. It's my favorite place in the world. And I disagree with staying at white sand beach. That is the one place that is to westernized. Stay aT lonely beach or bailan bay or even bang bao . Although lonely beach would be best for kids. Check out nature resort

I think you will find Koh Chang a better choice than Koh Kood, particularly with family.

Whitesands is the most built up, but it's not over developed like other places in Thailand. The beach is still good, and the prices are fairly reasonable. I would agree with those that say a car is recommended, I live on the island and to the roads here are pretty dangerous, and over the last couple fo weeks, with some fairly heavy rain showers, they have been very slippery and a number of accidents. It's almost safer in the actual wet season.

If distance and hardship to reach your destination is no issue, by all means go to Kho Kood. Much nicer beaches, nature still intact and clean water. But... you can't get there with your car. The slow boat takes 2 hours form Trat, a speed boat 1 hours, but usually a rather bumpy, uncomfortable ride, especially with an infant.

Kho Chang has the advantage of being accessible by car. Some places are pure wild west and that's not a compliment. Most beaches are spoiled, dirty almost no infrastructure.

My favorite place is at the southern end, a mid- to high end resort with low buildings (3 stories max), bungalows with their own pool and a big pool for all. The beach is not fantastic, but ok. I like to go to nearby pier "Bang Bao" for a great seafood lunch. We also charter a speed boat there and go snorkeling at all the small islands around the south of Kho Chang like Kho Maak, Kho Kam etc. It's a day's trip worth the money.

Some of the small islands have a small resort, no luxury but great beach and ocean, such as Kho Lao Ya. Check it out.

PM me if you would like the name of my favorite resort.

I know nothing about Koh Kood and have never been to Koh Chang, but have spent last week planning a trip there. It seems the first thing is to choose a beach on the island. Kai Bae beach may interest you. From what I read it is popular for families to relax at: not touristy as White Sands, not as many backpackers as Lonely beach, and not as upmarket as Klong Prao. Seems to be many bungalow style resorts there. Note the beach may not be as nice (sandy) as others for swimming. I'm planning on staying at KB Resort, but there are others that also look nice (Kai Bae, Siam Bay, ...).

But again, I haven't been there yet ...