Best City Third Time Running: Bangkok

webfact

I would like to know how they pulled that off.

There is nothing to do here, day or night. You can't even walk 100 meters without pouring sweat. There is no ocean, no good music. The club scene is ok, I just can't get over the lack of DJ talent though. Bad music = bad club for me, so Thailand is full of bad clubs. It is too hot to play any sports. Pools could be ok, but Thai girls dont wear bikinis, which is weird and lame and non-#1 worthy. What is there to do here? I am honestly curious. Eat is one thing I can come up with, but you can eat everywhere. Walking down the street with a beer is cool i must admit. What made it the best though?

Edited by isawasnake

I don't understand why farang's live in Thailand when they seem to abuse it, put it down, sarcastically comment on just about every part of society and how the country is run. If it is so bad why don't people head back to their own country. See a lot of this crap on here with people putting the place down. Sure it is not perfect but a lot of people don't give anything or anyone much a chance here and only assume that it has to be dodgy, something under the covers, a bribe, a lie - basically saying that everyone and everything in this country cannot be trusted. I don't know where these people hang out, but along with the bad there are a lot of good things and people in this country that earn a lot of respect from me. Sad people seem to think this country is so crap and yet you stay in it and keep ranting on.

So how about all you negative sour people try saying something positive for once on this forum - eg. Good work Bangkok for being number 3. Otherwise don't bother venting your negativity.

Maybe if you had ever visited Bkk you would understand.

Adjectives such as, dirty, noisy, smelly, stinking, over crowded, polluted, gridlocked traffic spring to mind.

Travel tip, if you want to see all the above, take a visit to Bang Kapi market.

Actually, you sound like someone who hasn't traveled much ... esp. in the third world ... or maybe you only know Hong Kong, Singapore & KL. BKK does indeed have it's problems, but it's actually pretty clean and well run compared to most large cities in Asia ... and especially Africa.

I don't understand why farang's live in Thailand when they seem to abuse it, put it down, sarcastically comment on just about every part of society and how the country is run. If it is so bad why don't people head back to their own country. See a lot of this crap on here with people putting the place down. Sure it is not perfect but a lot of people don't give anything or anyone much a chance here and only assume that it has to be dodgy, something under the covers, a bribe, a lie - basically saying that everyone and everything in this country cannot be trusted. I don't know where these people hang out, but along with the bad there are a lot of good things and people in this country that earn a lot of respect from me. Sad people seem to think this country is so crap and yet you stay in it and keep ranting on.

So how about all you negative sour people try saying something positive for once on this forum - eg. Good work Bangkok for being number 3. Otherwise don't bother venting your negativity.

Perhaps you should take your own advice. The expat community here has a long history and is an important part of the country and economy and they have the right to express their opinion just as a Thai person living in the US does.

If you don't like or accept that about YOUR host country, perhaps you should consider moving somewhere with less foreigners; Pyongyang or Mogadishu are my suggestions for yourolleyes.gif

I susspect its due to the age group of the posters.... a lot of people who have retired; once the testosterone level starts to go down , your bliss rateing declines with it , and very soon your a GRUMPY OLD MAN!!!

Adjectives such as, dirty, noisy, smelly, stinking, over crowded, polluted, gridlocked traffic spring to mind.

Actually, you sound like someone who hasn't traveled much ... esp. in the third world ... or maybe you only know Hong Kong, Singapore & KL. BKK does indeed have it's problems, but it's actually pretty clean and well run compared to most large cities in Asia ... and especially Africa.

Wow, you sure must have got all the plum postings.

How did you manage that, upset someone in HR?

We aint discussing Africa though are we, we are discussing Bkk, as you have rightly pointed out, Bkk does indeed have its problems.

Wow, you sure must have got all the plum postings.

How did you manage that, upset someone in HR?

We aint discussing Africa though are we, we are discussing Bkk, as you have rightly pointed out, Bkk does indeed have its problems.

BKK is a very easy posting to get!

This unassailable evaluation is based on the views of readers of "Travel and Leisure" magazine, published in the USA, where 48% of the population believe in creationism; 45% believe in angels; almost 30% believe cloud computing involves actual clouds(!); 24% believe dinosaurs and man co-existed; 18% still believe the sun revolves around the Earth; and 18% believe their president is a Muslim.*

No wonder they voted for the Big Mango. They'll fit right in here.

*http://www.alternet.org/education/37-percent-people-have-no-clue-about-whats-going?paging=off

Edited by Honkytowner

Many of us are here because we simply can't afford to live anywhere else, after our employers, the banks and governments stole our homes and pensions in our home countries. Is there a law that says you have to like the place where you must live?

As a Brit, we always complain wherever we are...

It's why Australians call English people "whingeing Poms".

In London, we complain about overcrowding on the tube, the price of property, taxes, the NHS and the weather.

In Thailand we complain about the traffic, the inability to buy land in our own name, odd immigration quirks, the lack of an NHS and the weather.

In Australia we complain about the deadly spiders, the price of property in Sydney, the flies, odd immigration quirks, taxes and the weather.

I'm sorry if we ever found a place where we didn't complain, we'd all have moved there (and be complaining about the over-crowding...)

Bangkok Complaints Department - 3rd. door on the right-hand side. Watch out for the pot holes, street vendors, crooked cops, jet ski operators, dual-pricing system, dildo sellers, somtam lady and motocycle taxi - 3 doors past Complaints Department turn left for Immigration.