yourauntbob

Hard to decide between dealing with

• Thai Immigration
  • Labor department
  • Banks particularly for international issues
  • Taxi drivers
  • Having fun on jet skis
  • Multicultural chit chats in the bars.
  • The security, knowing that every bar has an ex or serving Special forces expat present.

again, trying to look at the brighter side of things, i am hoping this is going to be a no complaint thread (i know its wishful thinking) whistling.gif

The sharp wit of some that are able to spot sarcasm from 50 paces .

But if just one it would be the Andaman sea.

Edited by stiggy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody moaning at me if I want to put a tree on my land. Nobody moaning at me if I want to build an extension on my house.

Walking around in flip flops.

Cheap clothes.

Cheap food.

Buzzing around on the scooter.

The smiles.

Beer Leo.

Great beaches.

Hustle n bustle if you want it.

• Like 2

Spending every waking hour sat in front of a PC, moaning about anything and everything to do with Thailand, the country I chose to come to.

Why aren't they more grateful, why am I not appreciated, ?

When I came here for the first time in early 1990, I saw a Thai guy in a Benz, I assumed he wa a chauffer..and as for the ALL Thais think Farangs are rich, that myth went away a long time ago, now they know most Farangs ain't got a pot to piss in.

Its seems your the only one moaning on this thread, lets keep it positive

"What is your favorite thing about Thailand?"

I'll go first, I like the fact that i can live as poor or as modern (expensive) as I would like and can choose day to day. One day I take the missus out to a four star meal, buy some state of the art electronics, and enjoy a nice bottle of wine while sitting in the garden. The next day I can hope on a free bus, go into the city to walk through a park, and eat some 20-40 baht street food.

none of that is unique to Thailand.. can be said of virtually every city in every country on Earth.

but my fave thing is the seaside(s)... even better than Scarborough ! ...wink.png

Passing the school yesterday morning. a young girl was sweeping the grounds before class. In the UK I wonder how far up the teachers backside the brush would have got if they had been asked to do it.

• Like 1

I am about to return to Europe with my family. But before, I made a For and Against list. Europe won by a big margin. I will miss this place but I know that my girls 3 and 6 will be much better off. We will return for summer holidays and I am sure it will be great to see family and visit places we still have not seen.

Good education, clean air, good health care, full pension, good law, almost no corruption, roads are safer, just a few + from my list.

The women.

I can still have a very attractive wife and produce a family despite being way past my 'sell by date' in the west.

And I have security of knowing if it all goes horribly wrong, I can do it again, and again.

Agree

The women...............................................my wife.

I am about to return to Europe with my family. But before, I made a For and Against list. Europe won by a big margin. I will miss this place but I know that my girls 3 and 6 will be much better off. We will return for summer holidays and I am sure it will be great to see family and visit places we still have not seen.

Good education, clean air, good health care, full pension, good law, almost no corruption, roads are safer, just a few + from my list.

What were the +ve things on your list? More applicable to the thread.

I love jumping on my motorbike and heading in any direction, and I always enjoy the ride, even in heavy traffic. And, I can do it every day with little thought about the weather. And, on the odd occasion that it does rain I can stop at some food stall and sit it out. The storms seldom last more than an hour.

I like that I can actually live for free here in Thailand. My hotel room for a month costs less than just my internet, television and telephone package at home. I shut off things at home and it pays for my trip to Thailand for 6 months. I can eat in small Thai cafes for cheaper than I can buy produce and cook it for myself at home in Canada.

I enjoy being able to help some locals without it costing me too much money. Today I treated a little girl to an ice cream that she wanted but her mother couldn't afford. Most average Thais have to account for every baht, but 20 baht to me is nothing. The 5 baht tip that I leave every day with the cafe owner where I eat gets me treated like the queen. I get a huge smile and friendly nods from the whole family.

I like that I can take multi-day trips away from Chiang Mai and stay in hotels that only cost 250 to 500 baht a night.

I even get a laugh when a Thai policeman gives me a big smile when he writes me a ticket when I break some minor law. The 200 baht fine is something I can afford and just another experience in the every day life here. And, when I return after paying the fine I get another big smile and the courteous policeman moves my motorbike for me.

• Like 1

Thailand isnt it just wonderful.

Sure is. Everything from watching kids with nothing still laugh while they play in the dirt to the best beer bar. It's got something for everyone.

Girls, girls, girls,

beer beer

no mortgage nice house cash money!

Owning lots of things that do not belong to me :D and like tommo said if it goes wrong I can do it again and again. Luckily for me it gets better every year.

Oh the food

the people the list is endless

• Like 1

• Thai Immigration
  • Labor department
  • Taxi drivers
  • Having fun on jet skis
  • The security, knowing that every bar has an ex or serving Special forces expat present.

It only took 11 posts to change the thread from favorite things to the opposite; hated things. Good on ya mate.

Read the whole post /Thread you will see its Tongue in Cheek , don't get the ump

Another favourite thing of mine to add due to the mixture of cultures, winding up those that neither understand or appreciate English sarcasm tongue.png

Being able to walk up to a beautiful young girl and tell her how gorgeous she is and getting back a hearty thank you with a 500w smile.

Never a hint that they might think they're being "harassed", just genuine pleasure for the sincere compliment.

• Like 1

It's different to the UK plus sunshine, live cheaply, the girls love Ferang, easier going lifestyle but I do understand that a man could lose himself there if he is not careful.....

Oh dear, you haven't been here long have you?

"What is your favorite thing about Thailand?"

I'll go first, I like the fact that i can live as poor or as modern (expensive) as I would like and can choose day to day. One day I take the missus out to a four star meal, buy some state of the art electronics, and enjoy a nice bottle of wine while sitting in the garden. The next day I can hope on a free bus, go into the city to walk through a park, and eat some 20-40 baht street food.

none of that is unique to Thailand.. can be said of virtually every city in every country on Earth.

but my fave thing is the seaside(s)... even better than Scarborough ! ...

Goshawk, it's not possible to live like that in all cities. Try doing that in Singapore or Sydney!

• Thai Immigration
  • Labor department
  • Taxi drivers
  • Having fun on jet skis

It only took 11 posts to change the thread from favorite things to the opposite; hated things. Good on ya mate.

Read the whole post /Thread you will see its Tongue in Cheek , don't get the ump

Another favourite thing of mine to add due to the mixture of cultures, winding up those that neither understand or appreciate English sarcasm tongue.png

sar·casm

/ˈsärˌkazəm/

Noun

The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Oh I understand it. It's not appropriate to convey contempt in a thread that is about favorite things. In fact it is off topic and counter productive. Why would anyone appreciate it?

It's different to the UK plus sunshine, live cheaply, the girls love Ferang, easier going lifestyle but I do understand that a man could lose himself there if he is not careful.....

Oh dear, you haven't been here long have you?

-

The "with money to spend" is of course implied and assumed. . .