Language In Myanmar

Hey,

According to the Internet, 65% of the total population speak Burmese as their first language, but a friend of mine said that English is becoming the new first language, slowly.

He said that even on the streets they would communicate in English. Is that true, or is it still worth learning Burmese?

I'm just searching a simple answer: Is it worth it, or will English take over?

Thanks.

English is definitely not taking over there, not sure how your 'friend' arrived at that conclusion.

English will never take over from Burmese in Myanmar, certainly not in the next few generations.

Might elaborate on this later, as I'm traveling now.

Some other forum locals might give their thoughts on this too.

If you want to learn Burmese - I just posted a link to a free downloadable course. Look at the pinned topics in the top of the Myanmar Travel forum.

English is definitely not taking over there, not sure how your 'friend' arrived at that conclusion. English will never take over from Burmese in Myanmar, certainly not in the next few generations. Might elaborate on this later, as I'm traveling now. Some other forum locals might give their thoughts on this too. If you want to learn Burmese - I just posted a link to a free downloadable course. Look at the pinned topics in the top of the Myanmar Travel forum.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I guess it's dangerous to take advices from people that have never visited the country ;-)

Will have a look at the link. Cool.

Planning to make a trip to Myanmar in the near future.

"According to the internet" is a very bad source.

Correct is that probably more people try to learn English to stay abreast of the times (and get a good job), but Burmese will continue to be the national language.

I have never heard local people speak English to each other on the street.