Oil Change Honda Wave

mooro_uk

if it is a new bike, you have to go to honda official shop for oil change and follow service intervals for not losing your warranty.

if not, it is easy to do by yourself still easiest is going to a local shop and let them change the oil for free if you buy the oil from them.

• Like 1

The safest bet for a person who is clueless, as you describe yourself to be would be:

1. Go to small shop and have them change oil and WATCH CLOSELY.

2. Go to Big C and buy some appropriate oil and a wrench, if none comes with your bike.

3. Go home and change your oil again, doing just like the shop did and making sure to dispose of drained oil properly. (maybe take to same shop)

That should be 90% fool proof way for you to change your own oil mooro. Good luck!

17mm ring spanner, an old plastic container, some new oil and you are good to go..

While the engine is still warm but not hot (that can be painful), remove the oil filler cap to allow air in, place the old plastic container under the engine, remove the oil drain plug (it's the big nut under the engine) with the 17mm wrench.

When all the oil has drained out, pour a little new oil in the filler to flush any residue out, replace the drain plug (check if the o-ring is in good condition 1st).

Fill with new oil, level is marked on the dip stick attached to the filler plug. Replace filler cap.

Should do ya !!

• Like 1

Any fool can do an oil change. FOr about 70baht at a dealer you also get spot lubrication everywhere it is needed, brakes and cables adjusted clutch adjusted chain checked..and probably not lubricated....etc.

If you know what you are doing do it yourself. If not find a good dealer.

Nope. But I'm also not dumb enough to want to waste sweat changing oil on a Wave when the bike shops do it for the cost of the oil. As loselazer says where are you going to get rid of the old oil????

• Like 1

Nope. But I'm also not dumb enough to want to waste sweat changing oil on a Wave when the bike shops do it for the cost of the oil. As loselazer says where are you going to get rid of the old oil????

cooking food maybebiggrin.png

or donating to a gogo bar for a female oil wrestling event ?cheesy.gif

The first reason for me not doing the oil change at home is the old oil, there is nothing you can do. You cannot throw it, you cannot sell it.

the shops keep the used oils from oil changes in a barrel and sell them to some companies once the barrel is full. This way, more trees to hug and less sewers to get clogged.

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

Thanks for the constructive and some not so constructive replies guys!

Synthetic oil sounds like the way forward as the bike has 15k on it now. I never knew that getting rid of it would be an issue, but now my missus and her friends will have no excuse for a "naked oil wrestling competition" every 6 months!w00t.gif

• Like 1

My Wave has over 60,000km and is now part dirt-bike (see my profile pic). I put in synthetic at about 35,000, and I always drive it hard...

Still runs strong - no smoke - no noises. Great.

Personally, I would change the oil twice in quick succession - just to get rid of all the old oil and to ensure it is full of synthetic...

synthetic oil for wave is too much, wave is based for economy and a bottle of synthetic oil is around 300 - 400 thblaugh.png

just get a bottle of castrol activ for 80 thb and it works very well you cannot even notice the difference.

there is no performance raise or something after pouring 400 thb synthetic oil to wave. But hey synthetic oil last longer and of course better for engine and if you love your bikes - i have a wave too - like me you cansmile.png

• Like 1

wjmart: Petroleum and synthetic oils are fully compatible and missable. No reason to flush out every trace of petroleum when changing over, except to make yourself feel better.

Mooro et al: drop used oil off at any moto shop (as suggested in post 4) as they all have a used oil drum that is eventually sold to a recycler.

Although I am fully capable of changing my own oil, like most riders, I take my bikes in to a shop, as it's cheap and I like to flirt with the jing behind the counter.

chacha

• Like 1

I can't read Thai, but the owners manual on my 2011 Wave 110i seems to warn against low friction (=synthetic?) oils. Not sure why.

You need JASO MA not MB. Its no automatic scooter, guess thats the reason.

But it has nothing to do with synthetic or not.

• Like 1

My Wave has over 60,000km and is now part dirt-bike (see my profile pic). I put in synthetic at about 35,000, and I always drive it hard...

Still runs strong - no smoke - no noises. Great.

Personally, I would change the oil twice in quick succession - just to get rid of all the old oil and to ensure it is full of synthetic...

vjmark, you can pump some compressed air from the oil intake for 2-3 time - 4-5 seconds if your shop has an air compressor after fully draining the old oil. It will pump out some significant amount of old oil from oil drain hole.

I cannot believe the dirtiness and amount of old of oil coming out after some compressed air all the time.

• Like 1

Hard to believe it's impossible to get a Wave owner's manual in English on the internet....... I mean it is totally and completely absolutely impossible! Prove me wrong please!

You are correct sir.

Apparently they don't sell the bike in English speaking countries. French, Spanish, Portuguese, yes.

English...the universal language...ha!

Finally, that year of high school Spanish is paying off!