What To Do With Used Oil From Oil Changes?

wantan

I live in Bangkok, Prawet. I was told i should put the cans with used oil into a bag, label the bag with something like "CAUTION! USED OIL" and place it near my garbage can so the garbage collector can pick it up.

But now i have heard that a neighbor picks such things up, pours the oil into the street water drain and sells the plastic cans. I am not amused. I am not sure what the garbage collector would do with the used oil if i give it to him directly. Maybe he does the same, who knows?

Does someone know a collecting point where i can give off my used oil? Any other ideas how to dispose of used oil environmentally sound?

Please no comments like "throw it in the garden, everyone does". Thanks

The captain of the dive boat I used to work on was seen pouring used oil straight into the sea, so your right, that happens. I am not amused either.

I have read in the media here in Phuket there are proper recycle places to take it. They must have them in Bangkok to, but outside of that, I would take it to the nearest garage and pay them the disposal fee if they have one which I would imagine isn't much.

Take it to B-Quick? They have a giant drum of old oil. Should work for all places that change oil.

+1

Pretty easy to find somewhere that will take the used stuff off your hands and so much better than pouring it straight down the drain as many seem to do.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Of course i have seen such big drums of old oil myself before. If there is no other option than i will ask some Honda or Yamaha dealer in my area. Or i will search for a B-Quick smile.png

But i still hope in a city like Bangkok there is some kind of collecting place or something. Or companies collecting used oil to recycle it or something like that.

Take it to B-Quick? They have a giant drum of old oil. Should work for all places that change oil.

+1

Pretty easy to find somewhere that will take the used stuff off your hands and so much better than pouring it straight down the drain as many seem to do.

I am sure every small repair shop in my area would take my old oil, maybe for a small fee. But what are they doing with it? Someone knows more? I don't like the idea that my oil goes down the drain.

You are all city boys? Used oil is very useful to farmers we use it to kill ants and termites. We also put it around wooden foundations to stop termites.

But I suppose it would not have much use in cities.

Yes you can use it to "paint" any wooden structure to keep off the ants and termites.........esp useful when putting in fence posts and the like, or indeed anything wooden such as trellises, ornamentals, support stakes etc.

You are all city boys? Used oil is very useful to farmers we use it to kill ants and termites. We also put it around wooden foundations to stop termites.But I suppose it would not have much use in cities.
You country boys underestimate us city boys. We don't live in wooden shacks so we don't need to coat our housestongue.png .We use old engine oil to help our fellow residents of the planetthumbsup.gif .We use it to coat dogs who have mange which is very common in Thailand. Simply rub the used oil all over the dog. He'll have to stay outside for a while but the mange will be gone. Why because the skin mites have to breathe. The oil coat smothers the mites.
The captain of the dive boat I used to work on was seen pouring used oil straight into the sea, so your right, that happens. I am not amused either.

Amused or not this happens all over the planet. Merchant vessels regularly pump their bilges which have oil residue in them. As oil is a naturally occurring substance it gets broken down eventually.Large vessels have oily water separators but they are a PIA to use so most pour soluble oil in the bilges wait a day or so for the motion of the ship to mix, then pump out the bilges, at night. It is common in busy shipping lanes to see shinny trails where ships have not bothered with the soluble oil or a separator.

For the environmentally sensitive, used everything has a value. So here in Asia it all gets collected and resold, including old oil. This system is akin to cottage industry and is not state sponsored. If you want it to be, I am sure the Thai government would be happy to tax you in order to provide that service.coffee1.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Amused or not this happens all over the planet. Merchant vessels regularly pump their bilges which have oil residue in them. As oil is a naturally occurring substance it gets broken down eventually.Large vessels have oily water separators but they are a PIA to use so most pour soluble oil in the bilges wait a day or so for the motion of the ship to mix, then pump out the bilges, at night. It is common in busy shipping lanes to see shinny trails where ships have not bothered with the soluble oil or a separator.

Yes, such a__holes are everywhere in the world. Thanks for the reminder.

For the environmentally sensitive, used everything has a value. So here in Asia it all gets collected and resold, including old oil. This system is akin to cottage industry and is not state sponsored. If you want it to be, I am sure the Thai government would be happy to tax you in order to provide that service.coffee1.gif

I thought that it would get collected too. If i remember right i got the information (to put my used oil into a seperate, labeled bag and place it near my garbage can) from the Pollution Control Department. But they didn't tell me that my neighbor will pick it up, pour the oil down the drain and sell the plastic bottles laugh.png

In my opinion pouring oil into the garden is environmental pollution, same for pouring oil into the sea or down the drain. OK, some "country boys" see this in a different way and have some (good?) reasons. No problem for me. Its their garden coffee1.gif

Clean it up by pouring it through 3 or 4 layers of pantihose material then add 2 litres at a time when you fill with regular diesel.

Does this do anything useful, other than dispose of the oil? Isn't there contaminants in the oil, picked up from your engine, that can harm the motor or expel more exhaust pollution? I have never heard of doing this before. If this isn't harmful to the engine, what about doing the same thing for a 2 stroke, or do those require a different kind of motor oil? I know nothing about 2 stroke engines.

Clean it up by pouring it through 3 or 4 layers of pantihose material then add 2 litres at a time when you fill with regular diesel.

Does this do anything useful, other than dispose of the oil? Isn't there contaminants in the oil, picked up from your engine, that can harm the motor or expel more exhaust pollution? I have never heard of doing this before. If this isn't harmful to the engine, what about doing the same thing for a 2 stroke, or do those require a different kind of motor oil? I know nothing about 2 stroke engines.

As long as there is no krap in the oil to block the injectors and you mix it with 40 or 50 litres of pump diesel.....what could possibly go wrong?

Just pour it in a bottle and seal it.Put beside your garbage bin, by the morning it will have disappeared.

Forgot to add : refrain from eating fried food at tthe local streetside restaurants after you have applied my advise.

Edited by jbrain