I Need To Overstay My Visa By Two Weeks...or What?

I'm on an ED visa. My current extension expires 26 April but the Ministry of Education authorization to my school expires April 1. Hence, my visa expires April 1 and I am leaving Thailand, permanently, April 15. There's no way I'm going to pay 23,000+ baht for a new Ministry letter to be legal for two weeks. My thought is to simply overstay for 15 days and pay the penalty at the airport.

Any thoughts regarding how much the fine will be at the airport for the 15 day overstay?

Or, could I take a one day trip to Cambodia on April 1 and return on a 15 day exemption, ie, no visa but with permission to stay for 15 days w/o a visa?

I'm not sure of the mechanism with ED visas when the ministry letter expires before the extension, maybe someone can enlighten us.

If you are deemed to be on overstay the fine will be 7,500 Baht (15 * 500 Baht per day) plus the (slight but real) danger of getting pulled for some minor offence and caught on overstay which will net you a nice stay in the IDC before being deported.

A border hop with one of the buses will cost you around 2,100 Baht (Jack Golf) and get you 15 days.

Up 2 U.

Overstay is illegal and can get you in serious problems up to jail time and deportation from the Kingdom.

This should be avoided at all cost.

Simple as that.

Agreed, don't risk overstaying. Besides, in your case I would see little reason to take such a risk anyway. Just go on a border run. They're fun, you see something new and then you can come back for 15 days (since you say you'll be leaving permanently on the 15th anyway). Perhaps you might even want to spend 2 days in Cambodia, head up to Siem Reap for the night and then come back, something which is very doable if you catch a share taxi from Poipet (or if the bus comes at the right time when you're there).

Thanks, everybody. Yeah, for all the reasons - cost, risk, fun in Cambodia, it seems better to make the run. Since I've never done it, can anyone give me any info or a link for making the run like with whom, what happens at the border, etc? Thanks a lot.

Thanks, everybody. Yeah, for all the reasons - cost, risk, fun in Cambodia, it seems better to make the run. Since I've never done it, can anyone give me any info or a link for making the run like with whom, what happens at the border, etc? Thanks a lot.

The original http://www.jackgolf.com/en/index.php pretty well everything except queueing is done for you.

Easy peasy, 2,100 Baht.