Fixing Flat Tubeless Motorcycle Tires

connda

I also carry a tubeless temporary repair kit consisting of wicks rather than mushroom plugs as I find the former more effective.

I have the "wick" type too, but mostly because they are cheap and readily available here in Thailand. I disagree with the "temporary" bit though. I've read from many on the net in bike forums etc that the repair lasts for the life of the tyre.

On the back of the repair kit it states that the repair is only temporary and that you should seek a permanent fixture ASAP. If I`m travelling at speed on Thai roads I don`t want to rely on a jury rigged repair and I certainly won`t leave my safety in the hands of self styled experts on bike forums smile.png . I have had tyres repaired later by my local tyre shop using a permanent vulcanised repair for 150 baht, pretty cheap when your life may depend on it smile.png . But as they say here "Up to you".

post-153149-0-11438300-1365219392_thumb.post-153149-0-80620700-1365219449_thumb.Okay, this is what I carry. The manual mini pump fits under the seat of the bike. The electric pump sits in the underseat storage area of the scoot. I don`t carry the tyre sealant with me as it is already in suspension in the tyre. It is recommended that if you have your wheels balanced you do this before putting the sealant in the tyre. I bought the mini pump, repair kit and Goop online from M&P when I was visiting the UK. When I had to repair the front tyre on the ER6N in the middle of nowhere a while back the entire procedure under a blazing sun took less than 15 minutes, including using the foot pump which took twice as long as inserting the wick. It`s certainly nice to know that it works, especially when for the most part I ride alone. Edited by BirdsandBooze
  • Like 2

This slime thing sounds cool. What is the weight of the slime you need to pour inside the tire especially if it is a big tire?

But no way and space to ride a tire repair kit with me everywhere.

It is good that there is a tire shop every 10 kms in Thailand on where i live especially.

I have got two flat rear tires already on my cbr500 within 3,5 months and many on my other bikes, always get my tires vulcanized and get a plug only for temporary basis to ride to the closest tire shop - car tire shops - that can vulcanize it nicely. Some strict riders say, for the best worry free solution, just buy a new tire!

Never ride on the right and also left sideways and always go slow and check the road near constructions especially in Thailand to reduce the number of flats at least.

This slime thing sounds cool. What is the weight of the slime you need to pour inside the tire especially if it is a big tire? But no way and space to ride a tire repair kit with me everywhere. It is good that there is a tire shop every 10 kms in Thailand on where i live especially. I have got two flat rear tires already on my cbr500 within 3,5 months and many on my other bikes, always get my tires vulcanized and get a plug only for temporary basis to ride to the closest tire shop - car tire shops - that can vulcanize it nicely. Some strict riders say, for the best worry free solution, just buy a new tire! Never ride on the right and also left sideways and always go slow and check the road near constructions especially in Thailand to reduce the number of flats at least.

There is a required set amount that you must insert into a tire depending on tire specification.

What ever happened to the honeycomb interior tyres that were a lattice design on the interior and offered cushioning but did not need pumping up and so could not be punctured?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This slime thing sounds cool. What is the weight of the slime you need to pour inside the tire especially if it is a big tire? But no way and space to ride a tire repair kit with me everywhere. It is good that there is a tire shop every 10 kms in Thailand on where i live especially. I have got two flat rear tires already on my cbr500 within 3,5 months and many on my other bikes, always get my tires vulcanized and get a plug only for temporary basis to ride to the closest tire shop - car tire shops - that can vulcanize it nicely. Some strict riders say, for the best worry free solution, just buy a new tire! Never ride on the right and also left sideways and always go slow and check the road near constructions especially in Thailand to reduce the number of flats at least.

There is a required set amount that you must insert into a tire depending on tire specification.

So like 1 liter, half liter what? Anyone knows? I hope not much.

Edited by loserlazer

The product I use, which is Goop, is similar to Slime. The bottle contains 500ml and the instructions say to use 250ml per wheel, so 1 bottle will suffice. Interestingly, they state that a wheelchair requires 125ml per wheel, so I guess their research showed the target market would be motorcyclists! The label says it will seal punctures up to 1/4 inch in diameter and will last for the life of the tyre. It won't seal sidewall punctures though. Anyway, I'd replace a tyre damaged in this way rather than attempt to have it repaired. In the UK a 500ml bottle costs the equivalent of 500 baht.

• Like 1

I received the 'Slime MOTO SPAiR' kit yesterday, which includes an 8oz (237ml) bottle of sealant good for one bike tire, a small compressor which will fill a tire in about ten minutes, and three different connection wires (bike terminal connectors, cigarette lighter plug, and alligator clips). It was 1800 baht from Panda Rider. I have a plug kit and would try to use that before putting in the sealant, but it's good to have in an emergency.

This is the pack itself, which is 20cm x 20cm and weighs (I'm guessing) about 1.5kg:

post-176811-0-94674700-1365657091_thumb.

This is everything included:

post-176811-0-65109000-1365657165_thumb.

This is the compressor alone (in my hand as a size reference)- it can be purchased separately for 1400 baht:

post-176811-0-90260000-1365657216_thumb.

So like 1 liter, half liter what? Anyone knows? I hope not much.

Slime you use the entire bottle. Have used in mountainbikes & superbikes. It works wonders on both.

• Like 1