Us Embassy Divorce/marriage Documents?

ExPat neighbor, 69 years old and divorced for many years, is marrying his Thai Lady the end of the month and wants to make it all legal, US Embassy registered, Thai Goverment registered and all..

His problem / question to me was "What does the US Embassy and Thai Gov. offices require to establish that he is "Free to Marry"... He was divorced maybe 15 or 20 years ago, and has no idea where any paperwork would be regarding said divorce...

Anyone know what is required by the US Embassy and the Thai Goverment???

Pianoman

How do I register my marriage in Thailand?

The first step in registering your marriage in Thailand is to complete a single–page affidavit at the American Citizen Services Unit. After completing the short document, it must be notarized by an Embassy consular officer. You will need your U.S. passport at the time the document is notarized, and you must also pay a notarial fee of $30.00 (or Thai Baht equivalent) in cash at the time the document is notarized. If you have been previously married, you must also complete a second, single-page affidavit. The notarial fee for this second affidavit is $20.00 (or Thai Baht equivalent). No appointment is necessary and the entire process usually takes only a few minutes.

To view the succeeding steps, access the link below:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/mrginfo.htm

ExPat neighbor, 69 years old and divorced for many years, is marrying his Thai Lady the end of the month and wants to make it all legal, US Embassy registered, Thai Goverment registered and all..

His problem / question to me was "What does the US Embassy and Thai Gov. offices require to establish that he is "Free to Marry"... He was divorced maybe 15 or 20 years ago, and has no idea where any paperwork would be regarding said divorce...

Anyone know what is required by the US Embassy and the Thai Goverment???

Pianoman

Note that there is no mechanism nor requirement to "register" the marriage at the US Embassy in order to have it be recognized in the US as a legal marriage. I would recommend using one of the many services in Bangkok that will make the process completely painless and require you only to go to US Embassy to get the notarized form and a couple of days later arrande a quick trip to Amphur to register. Also note there is no ceremony at Amphur, you are simply registering the marriage

TH

This is Uk but it might give you a pointer. To get a copy of the decree absolute (divorce certificate) you have to contact the court where the divorce took place, giving as much info as possible if you haven't got the original reference number, they can then track it down and send you a copy of the certificate. How the system works in the US I don't know.

This is Uk but it might give you a pointer. To get a copy of the decree absolute (divorce certificate) you have to contact the court where the divorce took place, giving as much info as possible if you haven't got the original reference number, they can then track it down and send you a copy of the certificate. How the system works in the US I don't know.

A photo copy of the degree absolute is not acceptable so 'a copy' of the degree absolute would amount to the same thing, what do you need to ensure that the issuing court issues a document that is the equivilant to the original? and what is it called beyond copy?

A photo copy of the degree absolute is not acceptable so 'a copy' of the degree absolute would amount to the same thing, what do you need to ensure that the issuing court issues a document that is the equivilant to the original? and what is it called beyond copy?

A certified copy from the court, which should have the court seal, another way would be to have it notarized.

Well it's been a couple of years ago now, but I did not have to show any documents at the US embassy. I did have to get two documents from the embassy, "sworn" and notarized. Basically one document stating that I was free to marry and the second one stating that I was previously married and ended in divorce. That was it. Again, I did NOT have to provide any previous marriage or divorce documents. :o