Thai Tv Censorship Leaves Me Incredulous.

giddyup

You're trying to use logic. I'll never understand why nudity is bad and violence isn't.

Violence is part of everyday life. It is often seen, if not experienced by people in public. Showing this kind of footage might help people prepare themselves if they witness an actual real life violent episode. It helps to desensitise them to violent scenes.

Nudity is considered to be something that is kept in the privacy of the home, so they don't want to allow it into the public domain.

Regarding the censorship of the statues. I'm guessing that these movies/progs are scanned by a software program, which automatically picks up nude images and then distorts the area. I'd doubt if there is a room where someone is watching all the TV footage and doing this manually.

You're trying to use logic. I'll never understand why nudity is bad and violence isn't.

Violence is part of everyday life. It is often seen, if not experienced by people in public. Showing this kind of footage might help people prepare themselves if they witness an actual real life violent episode. It helps to desensitise them to violent scenes.

Nudity is considered to be something that is kept in the privacy of the home, so they don't want to allow it into the public domain.

Regarding the censorship of the statues. I'm guessing that these movies/progs are scanned by a software program, which automatically picks up nude images and then distorts the area. I'd doubt if there is a room where someone is watching all the TV footage and doing this manually.

Ever heard of a place called Soi Cowboy? I would love it if when the ladys went nude people ran out with black boards that had Censored written on them. The one that gets me is smoking? Why do they show someones brains splattered all over the road but a guy who puts a lit cig to his face gets pixelated?

Some people here seem to be under the impression they only censor nudity and not violence. That is not the case. On public TV they will censor violence, even just pointing a gun at someones head. Those grisly car crash magazines are not the same thing as being broadcast on public tv. Different mediums have different rules. Broadcast TV has the highest level of censorship, because it is broadcast freely and anyone can be watching, including unsupervised children. A magazine that has to be purchased is a completely different category, and in there you can even find magazines with nudity. Same with cable TV, they will show things there that would be blurred on normal tv. A red light district is also completly different, as people have to travel there and it is not broadcast in to everyone's home.

The one thing that I laugh at the most is watching a movie where they pixellated the guy smoking and pointing a gun or knife inches from a face, all the while using every swear word known to man.

• Like 1

Very strict censorship of Thai TV in my house - kept under lock and key in the maid's room only, my kids never to be allowed near the stuff.

I honestly believe it lowers the IQ, and definitely models behaviour I don't want them seeing.

• Like 2

Get over it . I'm in Saudi Arabia , life is censored .

But this is YOUR choice, correct ????

Yes it is my choice to get paid far more money then I would ever get in Thailand . Just as it is your choice to live in Thailand and put up with little bits of the TV screen being censored .

I mean seriously . Get over it . It is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things . Just one of those strange little quirks that Thailand has.

Welcome to the brave new world, where nudity is a greater threat to society than violence, a cigarette worse than an exploding head, and a drink a worse offence than to nuke a city.

Welcome to the brave new world, where nudity is a greater threat to society than violence, a cigarette worse than an exploding head, and a drink a worse offence than to nuke a city.

Agreed, that's what's truly obscene.

Censorship is a common tool used in any dictatorship. But that doesn't mean it has any logic attached to it.

There's no censorship on television in the US, UK, Australia, and Europe then? You're free to say whatever and show whatever you like?

News to me...

Of course there's censorship in those countries, but it's a hell of a lot more liberal than it is here. I can't ever recall seeing a woman's cleavage or breasts pixellated in Australia, and that's going back to the 70's. Also the press can criticise politicians and expose corruption without the fear of being killed. Chalk and cheese. I accept it is what it is here, and I agree it's not worth moaning about (before someone tells me to go home) but it is strange none the less. Edited by giddyup

Censorship is a common tool used in any dictatorship. But that doesn't mean it has any logic attached to it.

There's no censorship on television in the US, UK, Australia, and Europe then? You're free to say whatever and show whatever you like?

News to me...

Of course there's censorship in those countries, but it's a hell of a lot more liberal than it is here. I can't ever recall seeing a woman's cleavage or breasts pixellated in Australia, and that's going back to the 70's. Also the press can criticise politicians and expose corruption without the fear of being killed. Chalk and cheese. I accept it is what it is here, and I agree it's not worth moaning about (before someone tells me to go home) but it is strange none the less.

So, it's your position that censoring images of breasts is a tool of oppression used by the Thai dictatorship? And that censorship isn't a sign of dictatorship in the West because it's more liberal (ie., you can see cleavage by still not bare breasts on broadcast television in most places)?

I think you need to rethink your grand theory.