Transfer From International To Domestic At Suvarnabhumi For Chiang Mai

Hi Folks,

I will be flying into Chiang Mai from Ho Chi Minh next week with Thai
Airlines all the way. I have about 1 1/2 hours in Swampy before the
Chiang Mai flight sector. I have never done this before and was
wondering what the procedure is in Swampy for transfering to Domestic
without going to immigration there?

I am hoping I can check my bags through all the way from HCM to Chiang Mai.

thanks

S

Hi

I do the Singapore to CNX flight via swampy quite often on Thai. You need to clear immigration at swampy (there are big signs directing you to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat yai, etc.. transfer in swampy)... don't go through normal immigration processing for those going to BangKok directly . if your flying thai all the way through you can check your bags all the way through and collect them at CNX... They will give you a special yellow sticker at immigration at swampy that will direct you to international baggage claim at CNX where you will clear customs..

Hi

I do the Singapore to CNX flight via swampy quite often on Thai. You need to clear immigration at swampy (there are big signs directing you to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat yai, etc.. transfer in swampy)... don't go through normal immigration processing for those going to BangKok directly . if your flying thai all the way through you can check your bags all the way through and collect them at CNX... They will give you a special yellow sticker at immigration at swampy that will direct you to international baggage claim at CNX where you will clear customs..

Great stuff - thank you, I was hoping to avoid Swampy immigraton altogether hopefully this isn't so bad!

Interesting. I wondered how that system worked. So, if you have only carry-on baggage, when you get to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai, etc, you can completely bypass a customs inspection by not wearing the yellow sticker and blending in with the local passengers?

Interesting. I wondered how that system worked. So, if you have only carry-on baggage, when you get to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai, etc, you can completely bypass a customs inspection by not wearing the yellow sticker and blending in with the local passengers?

No, because your bags will come out at International and if you walk out through domestic you'll have no luggage. Domestic hand baggage isn't normally checked, so you do have a point I suppose. But there is an X-ray check to go from Int'l to domestic so your bag will be screened there. Suppose it depends what you've hidden elsewhere....

Edited by Chicog