Fitness Club In Chiang Mai

johnburger

Hello everyone. I live in Chiang Mai and am looking for a fitness club with swimming pool can someone inform me about this?

The last post that I have found that treats this subject dates from 2006 and is no longer updated.

Thank you in advance.

I know it is a silly question but does any one know of a fitness center with well maintained equipment and knowledgeable staff willing to help you even if you are not a good looking young chic but a wrinkled up old geyser?

I used to go to the Dongtawan central hotel but the equipment was never kept up and asking for information was a no no unless you were a good looking young chic. But the pool was nice.

Recently moved to Chiang Mai and wanted to join Fitness Centre too.

I am serious about fitness and I used to work as Personal Trainer in Sydney, plus I love to do a few swimming laps after workout.

I needed to tick all the boxes like:

- air condition

- swimming pool

- drinking water available for free

- reasonable gym equipment

- not too busy

I went to:

- Powerhouse Gym on Nimman Road - overpriced, you have Personal Training included to your membership and you can not get rid of it. Gym looks alright and equipment is alright, but gym is not so big and quite busy after 5pm. Group fitnes classes included. Membership I think was around 12k per year. No swimming pool.

- Fitness Thailand - very good impression. Lot of space and good equipment. Membership around 8500B per year, including group fitness classes (yoga, spin, body pump etc). Gym quite big but gets busy after 5pm. I think it would be my choice if they have swimming pool.

- Fitness Platinum - I heard a lot of good comments about that gym. Apparently there is nice swimming pool. I did not go there because too far from where I live (I live close to Kad Saun Kaew) so even if gym is great, it would be not convenient to go there every day.

- also I visited few small gyms in condominiums and hotels (Hillside condo 4 etc) but non of that was good

- Gym at Kad Saun Kaew shopping centre 4th floor - very cheap, I think it was something around 3000baht per year. Gym is not too bad, but not top class. Mostly Thais clients. Group fitness included. No swimming pool.

- California WOW - modern and fency gym. I dislike this kind of places. Sales oriented. No swimming pool. Too far from my place. However, new and decent equipment.

- 700 years stadium - gym good (equipment old but not too old) and pool is great. 50m olympic size lap pool. Unfortunately, too far from my condo.

My choice:

Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel

- gym is small but never gets busy

- equipment is very old (very old, feels like gym museum) but everything in good working order. Have good set of dumbells, benches, squat rack etc. You can do good workout there. If you need modern and fency equiment, this is for sure not a good choice.

- air condition is working, but is not very efficient, however is alright.

- drinking water available for free

- cheap ! 8000 baht per year including gym and swimming pool

- no group fitness classes

- really nice swimming pool. It is really great to relax there and do few laps after good workout.

- mostly retired clients. You will not see bodybuilders and teenagers there.

- 2 min walk from my condo was main adventage

- change rooms are alright, towels supplied for free for workout and swimming

Harris Fitness - new gym, opened in February 2013, at Kad Saun Kaew Hotel (hotel behind shopping centre)

- not too big not too small

- good equipment

- group fitness included

- air condition working good, but drinking water only to buy

In February, because of opening, promotion was 8000baht for 1 year. Normal price was 12000 per year.

- great swimming pool, better than Chiang Mai Orchid.

As it was just opening, staff was not sure yet if membership will include swimming pool or not. They said it might be for free in the future or 50% discount, but not sure yet.

Conlusion:

I wanted to get just 1 month membership so my choice was Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel (1200 baht per month, great relax at pool after workout). Harris Fitness is a better choice but still not sure about swimming pool (while you reading maybe this problem is resolved).

Fitness Thailand (behind computer plaza) is a great gym if you dont need a swimming pool (but might be busy in peak hours, gym is for serious lifters).

Interesting post considering California Wow has been closed for about a month and the equipment gone.

Sounds to me like you were looking for a gym that was convenient.

The Shangri-la Hotel on Chan Klan, THB 20,000 per year, excellent gym, showers, sauna, whirlpool and swimming pool, usually empty in the early morning, never gets really busy anyway..

Do they have any one with knowledge enough to help an old git set up an exercise program and is the equipment maintained?

• 4 months later...

Hi All, Thanks for the descriptions here. My question is even a bit more specific: does anyone know of any gyms in Chiang Mai that have bosu balls?

I'm looking for a place with a great free weight set up, my routine is all free weights:

- a proper squat rack with NO guide-tracks for the bar

- dead lift capabilities

- good range of dumbbells (kettlebells would be awesome too, but I'm not expecting that)

- box/boxes for step-up and jump routine

- bosu

My inclination is that Crossfit Chiang Mai would be a good place to find this kind of setup, but in addition to being pretty pricey you're not allowed to go and train individually as you would at a normal gym.

Any suggestions for most suitable place?

I'd be willing to go to any part of the city for that ideal setup.

Thanks!

Hi All, Thanks for the descriptions here. My question is even a bit more specific: does anyone know of any gyms in Chiang Mai that have bosu balls?

I'm looking for a place with a great free weight set up, my routine is all free weights:

- a proper squat rack with NO guide-tracks for the bar

- dead lift capabilities

- good range of dumbbells (kettlebells would be awesome too, but I'm not expecting that)

- box/boxes for step-up and jump routine

- bosu

My inclination is that Crossfit Chiang Mai would be a good place to find this kind of setup, but in addition to being pretty pricey you're not allowed to go and train individually as you would at a normal gym.

Any suggestions for most suitable place?

I'd be willing to go to any part of the city for that ideal setup.

Thanks!

Hey Crumple, I train over in City gym, it is the best gym in town for free weights, olympic size plates, Olympic Barbells, power rack, squat rack and heavy dumbells, it's got everything and yes a proper squat rack with no track guides. I train as a powerlifter and have competed in a few strong man events in the past so the bulk of my training is heavy Squats, Deadlifts and bench pressing, similar to what you are looking for, fees are 500 baht a year and pay as you go 30 baht each time, don't expect air-con and a swimming pool, it's a powerlifting gym, you can park outside and there's a shower in the back, you can google City Gym for map, send me a mail if you wanna do some deadlifts, oh and you can use chalk (they encourage it) and train bare foot if you want.

Hey Crumple, I train over in City gym, it is the best gym in town for free weights, olympic size plates, Olympic Barbells, power rack, squat rack and heavy dumbells, it's got everything and yes a proper squat rack with no track guides. I train as a powerlifter and have competed in a few strong man events in the past so the bulk of my training is heavy Squats, Deadlifts and bench pressing, similar to what you are looking for, fees are 500 baht a year and pay as you go 30 baht each time, don't expect air-con and a swimming pool, it's a powerlifting gym, you can park outside and there's a shower in the back, you can google City Gym for map, send me a mail if you wanna do some deadlifts, oh and you can use chalk (they encourage it) and train bare foot if you want.

Thanks Waffle, Sounds like a good fit. I'm a footballer (so not a bulky body), but I'm looking to put back on at least a fraction of the 8-10 lbs of muscle I lost since moving here.

One more question, do they have a step-up box or do you think they'd at least be okay with me using a bench for step-ups?

Cheers

My 3rd yr membership ran out at Fitness Thailand so I felt like a change.

This week I checked out Powerhouse first and it was too small for the money. It was 11 am and a few big guys doing curls used almost all the plates, there is only one ab chair and can only imagine when busy you'd be standing around waiting and just looking at the other people (maybe that's the point there?)

Next was Paltinum Fitness which had chains locking the doors, broken windows, totally trashed inside and an empty disgusting pool. (Didn't join there either)

Harris Fitness had new machines, free huge pool w/yr membership, free parking and was clean and looked like what I remember a gym was suppose to. I bought a month membership to see how it pans out which I thought was a good idea as the price, hours, days open and a few other things changed while still inquiring. (So if anyone wants to discuss anything such as the appropriate length of TV posts please catch me there)

Thanks Waffle, Sounds like a good fit. I'm a footballer (so not a bulky body), but I'm looking to put back on at least a fraction of the 8-10 lbs of muscle I lost since moving here.

One more question, do they have a step-up box or do you think they'd at least be okay with me using a bench for step-ups?

Cheers

Hey Crumple, I've never heard of a step up box, pretty sure they don't one, just use a bench and you're good to go, alternatively you could bring your own box and just leave it there, lots of guys bring there own stuff to help with their training, I use my own "captains of crush" handgrippers to work on grip strength there, an old American powerlifter/wrestler brings a neck harness to train his neck, this place is a throw back to the "dungeon gyms" of the 60's, 70's. You will not have any trouble putting back on 10lbs of muscle, when you see everyone giving 100% it is a good motivator.

Please, let me know if I can be of any further help.

Cheers.

Powerhouse gym

I know it is a silly question but does any one know of a fitness center with well maintained equipment and knowledgeable staff willing to help you even if you are not a good looking young chic but a wrinkled up old geyser?

I used to go to the Dongtawan central hotel but the equipment was never kept up and asking for information was a no no unless you were a good looking young chic. But the pool was nice.

Shangri la was 29k last time I checked 2 months ago. If it was 20k I would join.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As with hotel room rates there is the rack rate and then there are other rates.

This week I checked out Powerhouse first and it was too small for the money. It was 11 am and a few big guys doing curls used almost all the plates, there is only one ab chair and can only imagine when busy you'd be standing around waiting and just looking at the other people (maybe that's the point there?)

Next was Paltinum Fitness which had chains locking the doors, broken windows, totally trashed inside and an empty disgusting pool. (Didn't join there either)

Harris Fitness had new machines, free huge pool w/yr membership, free parking and was clean and looked like what I remember a gym was suppose to. I bought a month membership to see how it pans out which I thought was a good idea as the price, hours, days open and a few other things changed while still inquiring. (So if anyone wants to discuss anything such as the appropriate length of TV posts please catch me there)

Please let me know (and some pictures of the free weight and equipment section would be awesome)

I used to go to Powerhouse a lot when I was in Chiang Mai, just because I live near there.

• Like 1

Please let me know (and some pictures of the free weight and equipment section would be awesome)

I used to go to Powerhouse a lot when I was in Chiang Mai, just because I live near there.

I really recommend taking a look for yourself to get a feel if you like it. I like to check for a few specific machines etc. that I use a lot etc. An one day workout is 200 bht which I was planning on doing but to be sure it meets my needs I took a month to try different things such as workout time. It is connected to KSK Mall which is pretty convenient for a meal (but haven't found a place I like yet for my after workout lean clean protein meal) and to pick up a few things while I'm in town from the sticks. I'm taking the kids tomorrow so they can swim while I workout and I'll give them a lesson too afterward instead of them playing games like they did FT. I'll take a few shots and post afterwards for you.

I really recommend taking a look for yourself to get a feel if you like it. I like to check for a few specific machines etc. that I use a lot etc. An one day workout is 200 bht which I was planning on doing but to be sure it meets my needs I took a month to try different things such as workout time. It is connected to KSK Mall which is pretty convenient for a meal (but haven't found a place I like yet for my after workout lean clean protein meal) and to pick up a few things while I'm in town from the sticks. I'm taking the kids tomorrow so they can swim while I workout and I'll give them a lesson too afterward instead of them playing games like they did FT. I'll take a few shots and post afterwards for you.

That isn't a bad idea. Yes, as soon as I return I would definitely drop by. I cannot really deal with the traffic in Nimman heamin to go to Powerhouse anymore. Not to mention parking there was becoming a problem so I'm looking for a better/less crowded place.

With respect to a clean meal, I usually run home for my post workout. But at KSK there's my favorite "gai yang" on sticks at Somtam Yok Krok very near to Subway... very lean tasty chicken but a bit dry at times. Apart from that I'm a bit struggling to get lean clean food in Chiang Mai in general as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

CaWOW was about the best, if you got one of those lifetime memberships for 15k like I did, of course that's why they closed down, pity.

It's all about convenience, I'm now using Powerhouse, it's OK but needs to be bigger since it's sucked up lots of the CaWOW crowd. Staff are nice, machines could be more extensive. No hard sell, it's convenient in Nimmin area, considering traffic in CM is becoming a problem. For that reason I didn't consider FT. Platinum seems to open and close. I've had three gyms close down on me in 5 years here.

If you are in the Hang Dong area, consider the gym at Sansaran housing project, on Samoeng road, think I'll move then when my PH expires.

20,000 for gym membership is too expensive. Also, there's no perfect fit for good gym plus decent pool. Better to use separate facilities.

Surprisingly after one mnth at Harris I find it is the best gym and huge pool (a bit chemical but I haven't compared to others which might be too) for my needs. Befriended the hotels parking attendants and now they find me a space right in front next to the Lamboginis, good coffee right before turning into the back lot etc all makes for nice experience unlike the horror of a parking lot at FT

Surprisingly after one mnth at Harris I find it is the best gym and huge pool (a bit chemical but I haven't compared to others which might be too) for my needs. Befriended the hotels parking attendants and now they find me a space right in front next to the Lamboginis, good coffee right before turning into the back lot etc all makes for nice experience unlike the horror of a parking lot at FT

Hate it when people park their Toyota next to my 'Lambo. Always have to worry their fleas or some rodents will jump into my car.

Apart from that, what are the monthly/yearly rates, if I might ask?

Not many places were a good gym is combined with a good swimming pool, so thanks for that tip.

• 1 month later...

Or in your underwear, if you want. ;-)