Chinese Grocery Store In Chiang Mai

butterisbetter

Are there any Chinese grocery stores in Chiangmai? Not grocery stores run by Thai Chinese but stores that specialize in Chinese products. Right now, I'm specifically looking for 2 items. One is Chinese fermented black beans (what remains of the soy beans after the sauce is decanted) and soy paste. I think soy paste might be a Taiwanese specialty. Miso is not a suitable substitute. I've searched in the major supermarkets without success.

Edited by butterisbetter

Try going to Kasem--they have two or three locations--and if they don't stock it, they may be able to order what you need. I find them very accommodating at the Nimmenhaemin branch where I shop.

Thanks for the suggestion. i"ll give it a shot if no other solutions are forthcoming.

I wish I could remember off hand, but I do a LOT of Chinese cooking, and I don't remember having any difficulty finding fermented black beans, dried lilly buds, tree ear fungus, or any of the esoteric ingredients. I seem to remember finding them in many of the supermarkets! But there is a Chinese store if you need it, with canned, dried, and even some frozen goods. They sell a LOT of Feng Shui items too.... Give me a few minutes and I'll remember where it was... it was on a back soi in the north-east area outside the moat....hmmmm..... Sort of behind Tesco and behind the garden markets..... I'm not in Chiang Mai right now, but give me a few minutes to play around with 'street view' of Google Maps...

Edited by FolkGuitar

There are a couple people in Warorot with the beans. I told you the story once of how I got mine. You can't ask for black beans in Thai or they won't know what you're saying. But use the Chinese "Doh-tze" and they'll have them for you, easy.

I'll get you some more details personally.