Political Turmoil From 2005 To 2011: Bt290M Compensation For Thai Protesters

webfact

BT290m compensation for protesters
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The government has earmarked Bt290 million as compensation for some 363 protesters held in remand against whom charges were dropped or led to acquittals.

"The compensation would be made available to protesters in connection with the political turmoil from 2005 to 2011," Narat Savettanan said yesterday.

Narat, director-general of the Rights and Liberties Protection Department, said protesters involved in seven incidents were entitled to compensation payments.

The incidents included the yellow-shirt protests against the Thaksin Shinawatra government and the anti-coup protests of the red shirts.

The protests against the Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat governments and the red rallies against the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration would also be part of the compensation package.

GUIDELINES

The compensation payments would be computed under the following guidelines:

l A victim with charges dropped or acquitted would receive Bt750,000 if remanded from 90 to 180 days, and Bt1.5 million if remanded for more than 180 days.

l In case of being remanded in excess of the imprisonment sentence, a victim would receive Bt500,000 for having served up to 180 days more than the jail term and Bt1 million for more than 180 days in excess of the jail term.

The authorities will hold a meeting on Thursday before starting to pay the compensation.

Some 50 of 363 victims have already completed their applications for compensation payments.

It is noteworthy that victims from political protests would be entitled for higher compensation than those caused by the miscarriage of justice.

A remand protester would be paid Bt411 per day while a victim of wrongful prosecution would receive Bt200 per day.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-23

• Like 1

What about the rest of the incarcerated population held without charges and then later acquitted? Why just single out protesters? Ok don't answer that....Any how was it even allowed to happen that protesters can be held for so long without charge?

• Like 2

A typical Pheu Thai logic: reward the people who caused businesses and International institutions to lose trillions-Kachillians of money courtesy of the damages that they caused.

I hope that the Central department store business executive woman has a good lawyer, for her burnt down building.... Yet in the other hand, Central department store politics isn't any less corrupt. I jay thought I brought that up for some joking.

But anyhow it's the foreign companies that will be bureaucratically and lost-in-translationally screwed up, because the compensation departments DOZZZZZ'ENNNNTTT SAAPEAK AND UNDAAAAASAAATAAAND ANY ENGELISHHHH and they don't see and read what is going behind closed doors and under the table anyway...

But again, the people who cause the protests no matter PAD at Suvarnabumi or UDD at Downtown Ratchaprasong area, always get "compensated" REWARDED for a job well done to lead their parties to power...

Edited by MaxLee

A typical Pheu Thai logic: reward the people who caused businesses and International institutions to lose trillions-Kachillians of money courtesy of the damages that they caused.

I hope that the Central department store business executive woman has a good lawyer, for her burnt down building.... Yet in the other hand, Central department store politics isn't any less corrupt. I jay thought I brought that up for some joking.

But anyhow it's the foreign companies that will be bureaucratically and lost-in-translationally screwed up, because the compensation departments DOZZZZZ'ENNNNTTT SAAPEAK AND UNDAAAAASAAATAAAND ANY ENGELISHHHH and they don't see and read what is going behind closed doors and under the table anyway...

But again, the people who cause the protests no matter PAD at Suvarnabumi or UDD at Downtown Ratchaprasong area, always get "compensated" REWARDED for a job well done to lead their parties to power...

I think you missed the point - these payments are for being imprisoned for periods in excess of the original sentence and then being found Not Guilty or Aquitted.

Do you have a problem with these people being afforded their basic Human Rights?

• Like 1

Anarchy even pays in Thailand.

How can anarchy pay if the people who have been incarcerated are innocent of the charges they were imprisoned for?

Are they?

A Shinawatra helped organize the red shirts to their own ends (successfully). A Shinawatra finally releases the ones that were incarcerated AND pays them the agreed amount for services rendered. Simple really.

• Like 2

If you get 411THB per day how do you end up getting 1.5 million for 180 days in gaol? 1.43 just an add on for inconvenience? Nice pay day for someone.

Every Baht that is paid out to the red thugs should come frm the 46 billion Baht seized from Thaksin as he is responsible for the burn Bangkok campaign.

That's already been given back to Thaksin. Hasn't it? Edited by thaicbr

If you get 411THB per day how do you end up getting 1.5 million for 180 days in gaol? 1.43 just an add on for inconvenience? Nice pay day for someone.

Every Baht that is paid out to the red thugs should come frm the 46 billion Baht seized from Thaksin as he is responsible for the burn Bangkok campaign.

That's already been given back to Thaksin. Hasn't it?

Only a portion of it that they decided he had before he entered politics.

Muttley -> I think some might take your perspective as more honourable if you were using equal energy and enthusiasm to fight for the rights of those who lost their livelihoods by the actions of the "demonstrators". By the by the programme for reparations to them has as far as I understand it stalled, I wonder why?

I don't think my perspective should be seen as honourable in any way nor do I expect it and I'm not fighting for any bodies rights. I'm just answering a poster within the bounds of the OP. If you wish to discuss off topic subjects best do it elsewhere..

I think you missed the point - these payments are for being imprisoned for periods in excess of the original sentence and then being found Not Guilty or Aquitted.

Do you have a problem with these people being afforded their basic Human Rights?

Clearly he does.

I do because it is selective. Why only protestors? Why not ordinary Thais who have been victims of a miscarriage of justice in everyday BIB arrests, wrongful or otherwise.

Why are the (far more) victims of Thaksin's 'war on drugs' not included?

It's not hard to interpret this purely as a sop to the red shirts to keep them supporting PTP.

Selective 'justice' is not justice.

Anarchy even pays in Thailand.

How can anarchy pay if the people who have been incarcerated are innocent of the charges they were imprisoned for?

Are they?

A Shinawatra helped organize the red shirts to their own ends (successfully). A Shinawatra finally releases the ones that were incarcerated AND pays them the agreed amount for services rendered. Simple really.

I understand that the judges have some say in the matter of whether are imprisoned wrongly or not but if you wish to obsess about one family, go ahead.

I do because it is selective. Why only protestors? Why not ordinary Thais who have been victims of a miscarriage of justice in everyday BIB arrests, wrongful or otherwise.

It's not hard to interpret this purely as a sop to the red shirts to keep them supporting PTP.

It was selective "justice" that saw them imprisoned in the first place.

Was it? Most were imprisoned for alleged rioting.

Two wrongs make a right, then?

Was it? Most were imprisoned for alleged rioting.

Two wrongs make a right, then?

Most were arrested for breaking the emergency decree. However the charge is irrelevant. The compensation is for those who were incarcerated for a period of time longer than the original sentence and then found not guilty of charges and aquitted.

No wrongs involved - that is the point.

• Like 1

Muttley:

Most were arrested for breaking the emergency decree. However the charge is
irrelevant. The compensation is for those who were incarcerated for a
period of time longer than the original sentence and then found not guilty of charges and aquitted.

Now you're contradicting yourself. Selective justice is surely a 'wrong'
which is what you said they were victims of. Selective rewards is
surely wrong to a normal way of thought.

I'm not saying that they don't deserve some recompense but there are others -
which I've mentioned - who are equally (probably more that equally) deserving.

To repeat, selective 'justice' is not justice.

Muttley:

period of time longer than the original sentence and then found not guilty of charges and aquitted.

Not contradicting myself in the slightest. I've made no comment on selective rewards, thats your line. Typical response on here, start obfuscating and projecting words on others. Discussion over as far as I'm concerned.

Muttley:

Not contradicting myself in the slightest. I've made no comment on selective rewards, thats your line. Typical response on here, start obfuscating and projecting words on others. Discussion over as far as I'm concerned.

Quote: It was selective "justice" that saw them imprisoned in the first place.

Quote: No wrongs involved - that is the point.

So the selective 'justice' wasn't a wrong? Who's obfuscating?