What Is The Chaeng Wattana Visa Extension Routine?

If it is a visa exempt entry , 15 days , that you received at the border, you do not qualify for an extension. You should exit Thailand and pay your overstay at the border, 500 baht/day. When you re-enter you will get 15 days by land or 30 days by air.

If it is a tourist visa that you received at a Thai consulate or Embassy in Laos, and you were given 60 days permission to stay and have not activated your 30 day extension option, you might be able to pay your overstay at CW and extend for the balance of the 30 days but it is up to the immigration officer.

Edited by wayned

You could pay the overstay fine of 500 baht a day which probably be more than 7 days (3500 baht) and then apply for an extension (1900) which will be denied and you then will be given 7 days to leave the country. You will also need to show a ticket out of the country within those 7 days.

I would not recommend a border run to clear overstay. There have been many caught on the way to Cambodia border at the check point on the way there. Many visa run companies will not take you if you have an overstay.

If you choose not to do the extension I suggest flying out and paying the overstay at airport.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks everyone

Looks like a sightseeing trip to Hanoi for me! (and 30 days when I get back...)

It would be easy for me to complain but everytime I pass the US embassy and see those huge lines I realize that the Thais are jerked around far more than I am!

**sigh**