Leaving Thailand For Good

homeownership

I find that hard to believe. I remember reading that the average wage in Bangkok was 30-40K. Don't forget that those that earn huge amounts bring the average up substantially. And there are plenty of people earning huge amounts in Bangkok. Most Thai people I know in Bangkok earn between 30-100K, with most probably on around 60-70K. And they all know lots of those wages. Yes there are lots lower down the scale, but your figures are way out.

This BBC graph gives Thailand monthly average pay as $489, so around 15,000 per month. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. But you can get a very nice 3-bed house in somewhere like Chiang Mai for 10k/month. And I'm talking modern house in nice area in a great city. I think some don't realise that there are some very nice (and big) houses available for very affordable rents. Yes, there are dingy 5K boxes.Some think this is all they can get, but it's not. They need to get out and about more.

60k for living where? Bangkok? You can't generalise for the whole of Thailand. It's all different. If I was single in Chiang Mai, I wouldn't know how to spend 60K, unless i went out and bought expensive gadgets every month. Everything here is pretty cheap. In Bangkok I could spend much more if I was single. e.g. 40K on a nice condo, etc. Too many on here generalise as if the whole of Thailand has the same cost of living. Cheaper areas aren't always bad. Some are, but some are actually better. Many prefer Chiang Mai to bangkok, and have a much better quality of life here for half the money. I like both, so I'll change where I live from time to time.

Very good points, but make sure you're counting the fully-loaded costs of running a car, many CM residents feel that's necessary there IMO would be hard-pressed to spend less than 10K/mo unless you hardly used it made it last ten years, in most cases more like 15-20 just for the car.

And I suspect if they finally solved the smog/smoke problem prices would start to climb. . .

Yes, adding a car would be expensive. Many here have motorbikes to get around, and I don't have either, because I'm not planning to be here more than a few months. I'm pretty central so walk most places, and get a bus for other places. But I can see how you'd need transport if you lived further out and needed to travel every day. But even if I added 20k/month for a car, we could still lie here for 60k, so 30k each. Still very reasonable.

If you're genuinely happy living here on 20k p/m Dave, great for you.

I, and I am sure most, would consider that a weird rarity.

Consider it a compliment.

I feel like a bike ride, so am heading off for the beaches for four days. Will probably cost 10-15k, not worth considering really, but if on a tight budget it wouldn't be possible. That would suck.

Edited by Almera

This BBC graph gives Thailand monthly average pay as $489, so around 15,000 per month. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

Those stats are apparently not actual money paid, but adjusted for differences in costs of living - IOW statistical voodoo.

As I said no one is measuring this information with any accuracy, it's all just guesses, but the vast majority of people even in BKK are working at or below the legal minimum wage at relatively unskilled jobs, only a very small proportion work in offices even lowest clerical jobs would IMO be higher than the average.

And yes I'm working on average, which given the distribution curve here would be very much lower than the mean.

The average wage in Thailand is about 20,000 baht/month, and Thais live on that.

Who on Earth would want to live like that??? (beside the millions of Thais who are forced to live here on less, and weirdos, of course).

I wouldn't. It's just shows that Thailand should be expensive for an expat on an average income from their home country. I just don't understand how Brits can think it's expensive here (apart from some notable exceptions). But if they came for cheap living, I assume they don't buy the expensive stuff like cars. So what exactly do they find expensive?

I honestly feel pity for those who come here to live in a single room 5k p/m box. Or living in a dilapidated old house in the middle of dirty, peasant country, struggling away with a dependent family on 40k and under, just so they can live here.

Sure living can be cheap, but who would want it that cheap.

60k p/m for a single guy with no dependents could be okay.

I'm confused by that last statement, Are you referring to Thailand or the UK for there is similarity..

I feel like a bike ride, so am heading off for the beaches for four days. Will probably cost 10-15k, not worth considering really, but if on a tight budget it wouldn't be possible. That would suck.

Don't forget that we spend 40K as a couple. Accommodation costs, electricity, etc are all shared. It would be more expensive to be single, as I'd have all those costs. But you say 'here'. Where is here. Like I said, we spent 80K (sometimes more) in Bangkok, 40K in CM. I don't think it's rare in CM. Even the great restaurants are cheap. We eat out every single day, 2-3 times. We use aircon all the time, we have a nice condo. We don't want for anything.

So where is the 'here' that you refer to?

By the way, I also spend a fortune on holidays, but here I'm talking about day to day living, not a holiday. Give me an example of what you'd spend 60K on as a single person in CM. I'm just wondering what there is to spend it on. I can't spend that much even if I try. Everything here is too cheap. But I don't drink, so maybe that's the answer.

Edited by davejones

Those stats are apparently not actual money paid, but adjusted for differences in costs of living - IOW statistical voodoo.

As I said no one is measuring this information with any accuracy, it's all just guesses, but the vast majority of people even in BKK are working at or below the legal minimum wage at relatively unskilled jobs, only a very small proportion work in offices even lowest clerical jobs would IMO be higher than the average.

And yes I'm working on average, which given the distribution curve here would be very much lower than the mean.

oh I see, I forgot they do that. But they do.

JHC some people get all wound up and personal. sad.png

You're obviously happy earning 20k p/m, or convinced yourself there of. Well done lad.

Spending a 'fortune' on holidays on 20k p/m, I have a feeling your idea of a 'fortune' is vastly different to most. Or else your salary isn't enough for you.

Don't forget that we spend 40K as a couple. Accommodation costs, electricity, etc are all shared. It would be more expensive to be single, as I'd have all those costs. But you say 'here'. Where is here. Like I said, we spent 80K (sometimes more) in Bangkok, 40K in CM. I don't think it's rare in CM. Even the great restaurants are cheap. We eat out every single day, 2-3 times. We use aircon all the time, we have a nice condo. We don't want for anything.

By the way, I also spend a fortune on holidays, but here I'm talking about day to day living, not a holiday. Give me an example of what you'd spend 60K on as a single person in CM. I'm just wondering what there is to spend it on. I can't spend that much even if I try. Everything here is too cheap. But I don't drink, so maybe that's the answer.

"We don't want for anything."

Not wanting (nor needing) to save for the future, a rainy day, investments, retirement, property etc etc is great, or using one's income to head home once a year or so when the smoke gets to fatal levels . Well done again, it's a good position to not need any of that.

Edited by Almera

Give me an example of what you'd spend 60K on as a single person in CM. I'm just wondering what there is to spend it on. I can't spend that much even if I try.

-

In my early days here I spent well over 60K just on girls, including direct and indirect costs. Didn't find it hard to do at all, could easily have doubled that without any strain.

I did generally get excellent value for money, since back home the same expense wouldn't even have got 24 hours, in fact the true equivalent is rarely available at any price.

But like any drug, the addict claiming to get a really good deal is ridiculous on the face of it to someone not sharing that particular weakness.

And note that it's now been many years since I've indulged in that specifically explicit style of recreation. My two kids could be seen by some to be ongoing "indirect expense" of that ex-habit though laugh.png

Edited by FunFon

But then you are giving away your money,

but how would you spend 60k on yourself ?

Nice apartment.

Nice motorbike.

Nice weekends.

That's 80k already before we get to hobbies, food, women, holidays.

60k is less than half of some expats housing.

For a single lad who doesn't go too wild too often, or lives a solemn life devoid of nice things, then sure less than it will give him a nice basic life.

Then of course there's the future. If one doesn't need to put xxxxx amount of baht away every month for their future, never aspires to buying their own properties (if they don't already), then great for them. :)

Edited by Almera

Would those who are so hellbent on convincing others to leave Thailand please get on a plane and put your money where your big mouths are ? Talk is cheaper than anything else discussed in this thread, and seemingly in great abundance. Time to put up or shut up.

• Like 2

Not sure what parts of the thread you're referring to, my interpretation scanning the past few pages of this one seems to show a consensus that people are far more in favor of advocating staying than leaving.

Not sure what parts of the thread I'm referring to ? How about neversure and his 'move to South America - it rocks !' buddies ? How about people recommending countries where kidnapping&ransom are considered valid career choices ? Give me a freaking break - you are reading what you want to read.

Not sure what parts of the thread you're referring to, my interpretation scanning the past few pages of this one seems to show a consensus that people are far more in favor of advocating staying than leaving.

Not sure what parts of the thread I'm referring to ? How about neversure and his 'move to South America - it rocks !' buddies ? How about people recommending countries where kidnapping&ransom are considered valid career choices ? Give me a freaking break - you are reading what you want to read.

Everybody has a reason for staying or leaving. Are you saying we should just hear the ones who wants to stay and think this is a paradise on earth or do you think everybody has a right to express their opinions?

How about people recommending countries where kidnapping&ransom are considered valid career choices ?

Note to prospective expat criminals. Royal Thai Police and Army positions are Thai only, 300k baht entrance exams, so best go to South America to do this type of malarkey.

The average wage in Thailand is about 20,000 baht/month, and Thais live on that.

Who on Earth would want to live like that??? (beside the millions of Thais who are forced to live here on less, and weirdos, of course).

I rather live on 20,000 baht a month in Thailand than 60,000 a month back home. I have been a teacher here making 20,000 a month and if you are careful, you can still live pretty well.

• Like 2

JHC some people get all wound up and personal. sad.png

You're obviously happy earning 20k p/m, or convinced yourself there of. Well done lad.

Spending a 'fortune' on holidays on 20k p/m, I have a feeling your idea of a 'fortune' is vastly different to most. Or else your salary isn't enough for you.

"We don't want for anything."

Not wanting (nor needing) to save for the future, a rainy day, investments, retirement, property etc etc is great, or using one's income to head home once a year or so when the smoke gets to fatal levels . Well done again, it's a good position to not need any of that.

I think you have misunderstood. I'm not including investments, savings, etc in the 40K we spend here. 40K isn't our salary, it's what we spend here. If I travel to NYC, I spend $5-10k per month, Easy to spend in NYC. There is nothing to spend money on in CM. Even the shopping malls don't have anything worth buying. I thin you have some kind of complex where you have to come on forums and prove you're richer, better than others. Good luck with that.

To clarify, I'm pointing out that Thailand is cheaper than the UK. If the OP's friends came from UK to Thailand and think it's expensive, then there is something wrong. Relative to Western countries, Thailand is extremely cheap. Why do you think it's so popular with backpackers. Anyway, last word from me. I'm happy, you're obviously not. You'd wouldn't be on here trying to prove how better you think you are otherwise. It's funny to listen to people like you though.

• Like 1

Give me an example of what you'd spend 60K on as a single person in CM. I'm just wondering what there is to spend it on. I can't spend that much even if I try.

-

In my early days here I spent well over 60K just on girls, including direct and indirect costs. Didn't find it hard to do at all, could easily have doubled that without any strain.

I suppose that's true, but I live with my gf, so that saves me money. LOL. Anyway, never had a need to spend on girls, as they mostly had their own money.

I rather live on 20,000 baht a month in Thailand than 60,000 a month back home. I have been a teacher here making 20,000 a month and if you are careful, you can still live pretty well.

Both tough and difficult. If you are ugly or just prefer paying straight out for sex, then certainly.

I think you have misunderstood. I'm not including investments, savings, etc in the 40K we spend here. 40K isn't our salary, it's what we spend here. If I travel to NYC, I spend $5-10k per month, Easy to spend in NYC. There is nothing to spend money on in CM. Even the shopping malls don't have anything worth buying. I thin you have some kind of complex where you have to come on forums and prove you're richer, better than others. Good luck with that.

To clarify, I'm pointing out that Thailand is cheaper than the UK. If the OP's friends came from UK to Thailand and think it's expensive, then there is something wrong. Relative to Western countries, Thailand is extremely cheap. Why do you think it's so popular with backpackers. Anyway, last word from me. I'm happy, you're obviously not. You'd wouldn't be on here trying to prove how better you think you are otherwise. It's funny to listen to people like you though.

Oh okay, so you're not including holidays, trips, returning home to spend US$10,000 p/m, investments, savings or anything else in your monthly cost model.

Gotcha.

Everybody has a reason for staying or leaving. Are you saying we should just hear the ones who wants to stay and think this is a paradise on earth or do you think everybody has a right to express their opinions?

I'd be considerably more interested in said opinions if they were actually being dispensed from Colombia / Brazil / Ecuador - its the equivalent of me telling TVers they should go and live in Malaysia or Indonesia when my only experience of those countries is as a part-timer. Telling people that Colombia is now 'safe' takes the cake - it's the equivalent of me telling people that nothing bad has ever happened to me in Jakarta, therefore I don't expect anything bad will happen to them. There are opinions and there is life experience - I'll go with the folks who have actually lived in a given location for at least a year before telling us what a paradise it is. We expect no less of someone reporting from Nakhon Nowhere, but suddenly its possible to be an expert on South America without living there ?

• Like 1

It's not just the cost of living it's the cost of women. These days 40k a month just doesn't cut it. They want big money guys. The women in a poorer country should, in theory, stick around longer. Unfortunately, in Thailand they won't stick around very long with 40k a month(hell, even 65k isn't even enough). The times they are a changing..

Edited by meatballs

It's not just the cost of living it's the cost of women. These days 40k a month just doesn't cut it. They want big money guys. The women in a poorer country should, in theory, stick around longer. Unfortunately, in Thailand they won't stick around very long with 40k a month(hell, even 65k isn't even enough). The times they are a changing..

Are these bkk prices or somewhere else? What amount appeases the BG these days?

Nope. Just regular Thai women. I think they want a 30k a month allowance plus a house and car.

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

But then you are giving away your money,

but how would you spend 60k on yourself ?

Do you ever get the feeling that some blokes on here could spend that on beer, and if not just beer, then beer and bar girls? :)

Since it seems that many came for the beer and bar girls, wouldn't they have to live on what's left after priorities are met? biggrin.png

• Like 1