It Must Be Low Season Again

gerry53

A whole 20 baht eh and here you are telling the world all about it.

Have the price of noodles gone up recently? This board would go into meltdown.

It might only be 20 Baht but as the OP said it's 40 percent! THAT is a massive increase and typical of the so-called business brains here.

I'm with the OP FWIW!

• Like 2

Cardholder, an intelligent discussion with certain individuals is truly a waste of time, especially when that invidual is licking his wounds from his last "altercation".

Thank god they hit him in the head and didn't kick him in the groin - that may have resulted in a brain injury! giggle.gif

Ah, the old safety in numbers card being played. On dear.

Now run along, and I hope you manage to recoup your 20 baht some other way.

You sad man.

another price increase certainly due to idiots tiping 20 or 50b for the washing service. Why not increase prices when most farangs insist on paying more ? rolleyes.gif

oh my god those idiots !!!imagine tipping 20 baht !!!!! lol

We are not privy to the business reasons for such a large increase. Perhaps a large rent increase? I know the water rates have gone up recently, besides the previously mentioned increase in labor costs.....and what does the competition charge? All factors to consider but we would be speculating about the real reasons for the increase. I don't own a motor bike but it costs 140 baht to wash my car (inside and out) so 70 baht to wash a bike seems a little high to me.

I gave them 20 baht tip when it was 50 baht. Oh well now I will still give them a 20 baht tip. Why is it that you people just don't care about anyone outside of your world?

I just bought a motorbike from craigslist and donated it to the Father Ray foundation and wanted no recognition for that so why Can't you do something similar instead of whining about 20 baht. Do you think that just because Thai's have lived in poverty forever that they should remain this way?

If that is to expensive for you try going back to your country and paying that price for car/bike washes. Jesus man give them a break. When your bill is 99 baht do you also take the 1 baht change?

• Like 1

It might only be 20 Baht but as the OP said it's 40 percent! THAT is a massive increase and typical of the so-called business brains here.

I'm with the OP FWIW!

The intention of the OP from me was to point out 40% was a very large 1 shot increase going into low season. No complaints were made about service, personal or Thai wages. It seems after high season a number of bars, massage parlors, restaurants etc. jack up prices excessively and I personally think the business operators who do this "shoot themselves in the foot" because in the long run they lose customers and business. This happens every year and I wish Thai (and Farang) business's would be wise to use a bit a business sense and encourage farangs and Thais to continue using their services without adopting the attitude less custormers will result in large increases for the same service to the loyal customers who stay with them.

It seems to peeve many of the the "apologists" off who think we should pay over and above going rates because it is already "cheap" and the Thais should not have to follow "normal" business ethics of supply and demand. Many of the true cheap charlies residing in Thailand have already vacated Thailand to Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines and other countries.

I don't think pointing this out deserves the wrath of certain individuals who feel they are so lucky just to be here - their are other options and many are less hassle than here in Thailand. This "debate" happens every year yet seems to disturb some board members.whistling.gif

I gave them 20 baht tip when it was 50 baht. Oh well now I will still give them a 20 baht tip. Why is it that you people just don't care about anyone outside of your world?

I just bought a motorbike from craigslist and donated it to the Father Ray foundation and wanted no recognition for that so why Can't you do something similar instead of whining about 20 baht. Do you think that just because Thai's have lived in poverty forever that they should remain this way?

If that is to expensive for you try going back to your country and paying that price for car/bike washes. Jesus man give them a break. When your bill is 99 baht do you also take the 1 baht change?

If even GONE is critisizing the OP then it is most definitely case closed.

I'm trying to think of what type of individual would be so angry about losing a measly 20 baht that he felt the need to start a thread on a public forum about it. Let's be clear here, we are talking about 20 baht.

God forbid I never meet the OP. What a tragic individual.

• Like 1

Some years ago i went to have the bike washed at gas station on south pattaya rd,

i was charged 80-90 baht and they suggested i leave 100, which i did.

Upon a closer inspection it was revealed that the poor suckers couldn't afford soap,

so there was still white bird-shit all over the bike, including the parts of the bike that was black,

so it wasn't like they couldn't see it.

It was the last time i wasted money on having anyone wash any of my bikes

I'm with the OP FWIW!

The intention of the OP from me was to point out 40% was a very large 1 shot increase going into low season. No complaints were made about service, personal or Thai wages. It seems after high season a number of bars, massage parlors, restaurants etc. jack up prices excessively and I personally think the business operators who do this "shoot themselves in the foot" because in the long run they lose customers and business. This happens every year and I wish Thai (and Farang) business's would be wise to use a bit a business sense and encourage farangs and Thais to continue using their services without adopting the attitude less custormers will result in large increases for the same service to the loyal customers who stay with them.

It seems to peeve many of the the "apologists" off who think we should pay over and above going rates because it is already "cheap" and the Thais should not have to follow "normal" business ethics of supply and demand. Many of the true cheap charlies residing in Thailand have already vacated Thailand to Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines and other countries.

I don't think pointing this out deserves the wrath of certain individuals who feel they are so lucky just to be here - their are other options and many are less hassle than here in Thailand. This "debate" happens every year yet seems to disturb some board members.whistling.gif

It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, the bottom line is we are talking about 20 baht.

You really do need to get a life.

Just some friendly advice.

In my country the day wage of a worker, including taxes and social security, is about 10 times that of a worker in Thailand. Add to that the additional costs of environment taxes and the safety measures the carwash owner has to take, which all come at a cost.

If you take all this into consideration then 70 baht to clean a bike is way overpriced.

There are 2 ways of looking at the price increase.

One one hand 20 baht is nothing and to the owner, he may think same way, 20 baht is nothing.

On the other hand looking at the actual % of increase and its huge.

I think 50 baht for bike wash is a bargain so as 70 baht, however i can understand the 40% jump is huge,because if you apply the same % to say car or something which cost more, the amount becomes noticeable.

With wage rise, a large number of business owners simply raised the prices by as much as the wage rise was in terms of %, which is wrong maths, but it is impossible to explain or educate them.

In my business, i have raised prices by about 5-10%.

On to the topic of raising prices in low season, while it does not make sense to some, it is really simple.

In low season have less customers, so raise the price to compensate for the losses. Those who have been using service for a while will most likely continue to do so after complaining a little. But when everyone raised the price, it does not make any difference to change to other business because the prices are the same.

For example, plumber that i use, use to charge 300 baht to change something, now he wants 400. Sure i am angry, but all others want same 400 and i do not know their workmanship.

So after swearing for a day or so, i call him again.

Thai businesses work in a funny way, they seem to follow each other when it comes to pricing and then stick to it. Hardly ever one sees an opportunity to give slightly cheaper price to get more business.

My air con guy i think is the only Thai i met who uses the brain, his price is about 40% cheaper than anyone else for his long term customers and he is busy 12 hours per day 7 days per week, same staff for years now. But there are not too many like this around.

Also if i give his number to someone new, he will quote the "new" prices.

The real question is this price excessive when compared to the competition? I have talked to several Thais in the Jomtien area and they pay 80-100 baht for a basic cleaning and more for bigger bikes or extras. If 70 baht is in line with competition for the OP's area then he really can't complain even if the price increase is 20 baht or 40%.

If you got a bike washed back in my country with the same details they put into it here it would probably be around $20.00 (600 baht) so do I complain......NOPE.

As far as the % goes, in most countries the cost of living goes up around 10% per year. so in 4 years then......40%. Here the price hasn't gone up in 4 or 5 years or more so........JUSTIFIED !!!!!

The real question is this price excessive when compared to the competition? I have talked to several Thais in the Jomtien area and they pay 80-100 baht for a basic cleaning and more for bigger bikes or extras. If 70 baht is in line with competition for the OP's area then he really can't complain even if the price increase is 20 baht or 40%.

I agree - catch up is acceptable.

Otherwise 40% isn't.

Would be very happy with a 40% increase in some people's IQ and a 40% decrease in their ignorance.

If all the day to day small purchases of around 50 baht increased by 40%, nobody would be happy.

I rest my case.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Try to justify all you like with the silly % arguement but the bottom line is you are just another farang cheapskate.
Excuse me weren't you the inebriated guy who got thumped out on Walking Street because you complained about paying your bin - you are too funny?? Reality check HAH.

Furthermore I am not just another Farang Cheapskate but generous with my money, I just dislike being gouged with any 40% increase.

Good effort.

But in my view paying 180 baht for a jack/coke in a crappy bar IS a rip-off. Paying 70 baht to have your bike cleaned is NOT a rip-off.

Spot the difference.

If price matters then ask how much it is. Took my wife out last Saturday in downtown Pattaya for the first time. She also ordered a Jack-Coke and actually asked how much it was. Surprised me. ;) (It was 120 I think, which I agree is a more reasonable price. It was insanely strong, too.)

Try to justify all you like with the silly % arguement but the bottom line is you are just another farang cheapskate.
Excuse me weren't you the inebriated guy who got thumped out on Walking Street because you complained about paying your bin - you are too funny?? Reality check HAH.

Furthermore I am not just another Farang Cheapskate but generous with my money, I just dislike being gouged with any 40% increase.

Good effort.

But in my view paying 180 baht for a jack/coke in a crappy bar IS a rip-off. Paying 70 baht to have your bike cleaned is NOT a rip-off.

Spot the difference.

If price matters then ask how much it is. Took my wife out last Saturday in downtown Pattaya for the first time. She also ordered a Jack-Coke and actually asked how much it was. Surprised me. wink.png (It was 120 I think, which I agree is a more reasonable price. It was insanely strong, too.)

That's the old trick eh Winnie, pouring the Jack on top of the coke.

In my country the day wage of a worker, including taxes and social security, is about 10 times that of a worker in Thailand. Add to that the additional costs of environment taxes and the safety measures the carwash owner has to take, which all come at a cost.

If you take all this into consideration then 70 baht to clean a bike is way overpriced.

Then, wash it yourself.

Then, wash it yourself.

Better, I bring it to your place.

The OP attempts to make a positive post about his personal experience and how happy he was with his haircut, service and all for 80 baht. Knowing TV, I was just waiting for the naysayers to chant you paid too much. Didn't have to wait long. The point is he's happy and I am happy for him. It's got nothing to do with minimum wage here or in Yugoslavia. I too pay 80 baht and leave a tip.