No E85 In Pattaya

bartpix

Does anyone know why the 2 Petrol suppliers - PTT and Bangchak - do not provide at least one pump with E85 at their Pattaya and Sattahip stations. With the number of cars on the road that can use E85, one would think the afore mentioned stations with all the talk of "Green Motoring" would have provided same. I am also curious why the other branded stations do not sell E85 at all.

• Like 1

Yes, good questions. You probably can't believe that it was way back in 2008 when the Thai government started to lower excise tax for E85 cars and exempt E85 car parts from import tariffs. At the time they predicted 60% of Thai motorists would be using E85. In reality, now in 2013, there are very few cars that can use E85 so the reason is probably lack of demand to make offering it financially viable. Some motorists buy these 7,000 baht 'E85 conversion kits' that plug into the ECU but people will only consider that when filling stations offering E85 become widespread.
The first stations were in Bangkok; I live in Samut Prakarn which is just south of Bangkok and the first Bang Chak offering E85 started last year. I often drive to Bang Saen and there is E85 at Bang Chak there. So I think over time stations will gradually open in Pattaya, it probably depends on the transport network of fuel tankers expanding.

As I perceive it, the 'problem' with E85 adoption is that's it's only real advantage is cost savings, but seeing as you use ~25-30% more of the stuff and the cost per litre while cheaper, just isn't cheap enough when compared with CNG (NGV) and LPG - so Thai buyers are still buying/modifying cars for the latter..

• Like 1

I have the Chevrolet Captiva and according to its own computer I got 11.4 kilometres with 95 and with E85 I get10.1 kilometres. That seems to me a difference over a little over 10%. The difference in price is closer to 90% difference. I find E85 far more economical than even E20. The figures I see quoted around of 20-30% less mileage are rubbish.

• Like 1