Changing From An Ed Visa To A Retirement Visa

Hello, I'm currently on a Non-Immigrant Education visa which expires on 12th APR 2013 but I would like to change to an extension of stay based on retirement (I am already aware of the requirements for a retirement visa). However I'm not sure how to go about the transition from Ed to Retirement. Do I have to formally cancel the Ed visa or can I just present the TM 7 form (with documentation for retirement) stating the reason for extension being for the purposes of retirement?

The last. Just go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. Either they will give you the extension or tell you to apply for a non=O visa in a neighbouring country. You can try it tomorrow if you want.

Hi,

> Either they will give you the extension or tell you to apply for a non=O visa in a neighbouring country.

This is all the question!

I am in a similar situation with my last ED Visa stay expiring in June and being now 50 yo.

I was said (unofficial source) that Immigration at Jomtien/Pattaya accepts to make the change without you having to exit the country to get a non-O. Does anyone know more about that ?

PS: I have nearly 3 months to manage that, and money already is in the bank, so I will find some time to go to Jomtien and ask them directly.

In theory you should not need to get another visa because all that is required is an entry from a non immigrant visa but some immigration offices have been reported to not accept an ED visa entry.

All you can do is go to immigration and try for the extension with all the required financial proof, copies of passport and etc.

Edit: If they refuse to do it then all you would have to do is make a border run for a 15 day entry and then on the next day go to immigration and do a change of visa status to a non immigrant visa (2000 baht) showing financial proof. Then during the last 30 days of the non immigrant visa entry they will give you do the extension with new financial proof documents.

Edited by ubonjoe

The last. Just go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. Either they will give you the extension or tell you to apply for a non=O visa in a neighbouring country. You can try it tomorrow if you want.

Hello, today I went into Chaengwattana immigration and tried as you suggested, just thought I'd let everyone know what happened. You cannot apply for an extension based on retirement if you are still currently on an extension based on education. You must go to your school first and get a letter from them stating that you have cancelled your study and then present this letter to the officials working in the education section or N2. Luckily, after ringing the school they were able to fax the letter to Immigration. You then get a stamp in your passport showing you have cancelled. After this you simply go and apply for an extension based on retirement, which was duly granted in my case.

Apart from the little hiccup with the letter everything went smoothly. The only thing that I'm still a bit hazy on was that they had to change the date my extension was due to expire from 12th APR 2013 to the 9th APR 2013 because today was the 3rd of APR, their reason being that you must cancel your Ed visa 7 days before it is due to expire?

Anyway, at least I didn't have to do a border run.

Cheers

It appears they still provide 7 days to leave if you cancel an ED visa without having to apply for an extension would be my guess. Glad it worked out and thanks for the report as will help next person with such a question.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Here is my experience from today at Jomtien Immigration for changing from "ED Visa" to "Retirement Visa" (extensions in fact)

I have an ED Visa that I got in Vientiane in March 2012 / The last extension (4th) is about to end next week (~15 months) / I am 50 yo since March

I prepared documents as described on ThaiVisa :

- My passport, 3 months old with only 2 pages used smile.png

- T.M.7 completed, signed, with photo glued

- Passport copies signed (details, last extension, last entry stamp + TM6)

- Attestation of my 2012 revenues that my Embassy sent me (stating more than 65'000/month)

- Attestation of End of Study that my school gave me

- 1'900 baht

As it's my first retirement Extension and I want it successful, I take many other copies with me, in case of... Bank Passbooks, Condo chanote, utilities bills, old passport (1 changed in March; visa on old one), ticket from ATM from this morning withdraw,...

I gave passport & all papers to a lady officer who checked them. Main attention on the letter from the school that she read in details, and then on all dates on passport and documents.

She then asked me for some proof of residence (not in the official list). I gave her copy of my last 3BB Internet bill. She checked address and date, and she was ok with that.

She took the money and gave documents to another lady who register some infos in a computer. I have to move to next desk during this time. Then another officer re-re-check documents, highlights date, and give me a plastic card with a number: "Come get your passport back at 3PM". Seems the standard way in Jomtien.

So: standard docs, + proof of address, no question about bank/passbook/bank_letter, I did not say 1 word except สวัสดีครับ ...

Just after 3PM I return, give my plastic card, and get my passport. I check and recheck. Ok. I ask about the date for 90-days-reporting, and they add a small paper at the end of passport: "To notifiy again on: 03 SEP 2013" (today 06 JUN)

Note: My new extension (Retirement) start from Today, not from the end of previous extension (ED) next week. So I lost 7 days... but so happy it was so easy smile.png

Note: I though it would be more difficult, and that I was not in the easier case because of my change of passport 3 months ago, but no problem. Thanks to Jomtien Immigration.

You did not lose 7 days - if your study ended today so did your extension of stay - to get an extra 7 days would have cost 1,900 baht and it would have not been approved - you got the extension of stay so it started today. Thanks for the report - should be helpful to others doing from ED to retirement.

• 4 months later...

Greetings all, actually I was hoping

lopburi3 could find some minutes to reply to this as he seems to be up on this issue that has oh so many answers...

the main issue of debate is whether I need to leave and re enter LOS and get a different visa (non-o)? BEFORE applying for the RV or not.

seems some people have avoided this...

after researching and getting contradictory answers I now place this issue on this forum and hope you helpfull people can possibly shed some light on this.

I am currently on an EDU visa and am considering changing to a RV ..... here in Phuket.

No I don't want to leave and comeback unless I have to...

Yes I am 50

Yes I can put THB 1 Mill into my Thai account within 3 business days and wait the 2 or 3,months (I have 2 and 3)

Hope to hear from those who might know,

Thanks in advance,,,

Although the regulations only say non immigrant visa the ED visa seems to be a black sheep for any use other than education so can not provide a real answer other than present your retirement financial proof at your immigration office and give it a try. At worst they will tell you no. At that point you can either leave to obtain a non immigrant O visa or make a border crossing and return to apply for conversion to non immigrant visa (but if by land would likely have to be immediately) as supposed to have 15 days remaining on stay to use this system - and only major immigration offices provide (but Bangkok will provide for any that do not).

But why make it a big deal - take a few days off to enjoy Malaysia or another country and then return for the retirement application - retirement is supposed to allow such leisure time.

Greetings all, actually I was hoping lopburi3 could find some minutes to reply to this as he seems to be up on this issue that has oh so many answers...

the main issue of debate is whether I need to leave and re enter LOS and get a different visa (non-o)? BEFORE applying for the RV or not.

seems some people have avoided this...

after researching and getting contradictory answers I now place this issue on this forum and hope you helpfull people can possibly shed some light on this.

I am currently on an EDU visa and am considering changing to a RV ..... here in Phuket.

No I don't want to leave and comeback unless I have to...

Yes I am 50

Yes I can put THB 1 Mill into my Thai account within 3 business days and wait the 2 or 3,months (I have 2 and 3)

Hope to hear from those who might know,

Thanks in advance,,,

First put the money in the bank and then when it has been there for 60 days.

Get letter a from bank confirming your balance of at least 800K baht. Make copies of bank book to prove money has been in the bank for 60 days. Do the same day you go for extension or no earlier than the day before.

Get a letter from School from school stating that you are no longer enrolled effective the date you go for the extension.

Go to immigration with completed TM7 with reason for extension written as retirement.

Have copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stamp and most recent extension. And copy of your TM6 departure card.

If first officer you go to tries to refuse it because of your ED visa entry ask for supervisor to confirm.

If this fails you could try a border hop for 15 days and apply for a non immigrant visa entry (TM87) at immigration the day after your return or if you have time on the same day. You would need bank letter and copies I mentioned before.

Or make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. Then apply for extension during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.