Is Surin The Worse Place In Thailand For Coppers

Surin steve

Lived in Thailand for years but these last few years especially I sometimes think I've somehow been transported to afganistan or Iran the amount of police check points and random crackdowns all over the Provence , is it only me but are others aware of this increase

I think it's reasonably normal to have a lot of check points in varying locations for seat belts and helmets. Although only before lunch and usually not on the weekends. If they're working outside these hours then something really is up lol

• Like 1

There will be many more check-points closer to the major holiday.

My wife once explained it to me that there are many more people in the area and they want to check people actually have a reason for being there, other than being up to no good.

Checking motor-bikes for licenses and insurance etc, we,, in my mind, thats not such a bad thing when you see the alarming number of crashes etc in that area.

The reason I raised the subject was

I have just returned from a 4,000 km motor bike trip (23 days) touring in a rough circle surin - Petchaboon - Tak -mea hong son - Chang mai - nong khai - Ubon- Surin . All in all 15 different provinces without any hassle off the plod at all,I was stopped only twice the first time on the 24 an hour into my trip (surin), and the second time on my last day just 5 km into surin Provence

I live on the main sang kha - surin road and now I would bet my pension on seeing at least one police check every single day somewhere along the road, if you are going into surin city probably 2 , it never used to be as bad,and other provinces don't seem to have the same hassle

Wish they had them in Ubon. The place is alive with kids on m/bikes that haven't a clue what they are doing, let alone being legal, oooooop's, forgot, nobody has a clue what they are doing. sad.png

Frankly, I doubt that police check points would improve the situation.

Wish they had them in Ubon. The place is alive with kids on m/bikes that haven't a clue what they are doing, let alone being legal, oooooop's, forgot, nobody has a clue what they are doing. sad.png

Frankly, I doubt that police check points would improve the situation.

Perhaps not, but where l live you will never see a cop, the locals know it and drive around in scrap heap trucks, no MOT, tax, lights at night, nothing. Kids ride 4 up on bikes, keys given to them by their parents. sad.png . We have a huge police force that does nothing except the odd traffic light sting that everyone knows about. laugh.png

• Like 1

I have just returned from a 4,000 km motor bike trip (23 days) touring in a rough circle surin - Petchaboon - Tak -mea hong son - Chang mai - nong khai - Ubon- Surin . All in all 15 different provinces without any hassle off the plod at all,I was stopped only twice the first time on the 24 an hour into my trip (surin), and the second time on my last day just 5 km into surin Provence

I live on the main sang kha - surin road and now I would bet my pension on seeing at least one police check every single day somewhere along the road, if you are going into surin city probably 2 , it never used to be as bad,and other provinces don't seem to have the same hassle

Sounds like its time you moved on, then!

Sounds like its time you moved on, then!

Move on where ?

And how on earth could l take Mrs.Trans away from our lovely abode. rolleyes.gif ..............smile.png

Actually Highway 24 has been a lot quieter than normal in recent months. Travelling along most of its length in SiSaket, Surin, Buriram and Korat provices you could usually count on about 5 checkpoints in 350k - mostly seemingly commercial load and immigrant checks but one or two speed checks included. Typically now only one or two.

As someone else said, we can expect the Songkran holiday speding money collection points to be popping up for the next 10 days though. Keep your wallets empty exceot for one or two 100 baht bills.

Alternatively:

A Kiwi acquaintance told me that his wife has a fail-safe trick. She quickly inserts a CD of monk chantings whenever they are BIB'd. He says it has worked every time!

• Like 1

Highway 24 seems to have a lot of police check points, I don't know why for sure, but heading to Prasat from Buriram along 24 you will go though a large number of them.

Most times just going to Prasat market I have to pass about 6 or so, although normally only two are manned out of the six.

The police know me by now and I just a wave and told to keep going.

Don't know why you think it's a hassle, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Never had to hand over any baht, and they have always been very friendly if I have been stopped, never want see anything, just normally ask where we are going, from etc if they don't know us.

Is Surin The Worse Place In Thailand For Coppers

Because of roadstops? huh.png

Don't make me laugh.

The worst place for coppers is where they torture and murder at will without accountability.

Try Kalasin, and research the case of young 17 year old Kitisak, tortured, testicles crushed, all in the police station, then hung from a tree. With dozens of other cases from the same police station.

Read this:

Trigger Happy Police

The follow up is that after (and because of) years of campaigning, the torturing, murdering police officers were actually convicted and sentenced to death..... but.....

They walked out of the court on 'bail', free men and were rewarded with 100,000b cash from a police fund to help them through the ordeal.

Roadchecks!!! Oh no, the bastards. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Almera

True enough I've heard plenty of horror story's about the plod over here,including people who have "fallen out of police cars" and people who "disappear ",of couse you can't compare that with getting stopped at check points,but what boils my piss is when I'm stopped and it's "suggested" that money should be handed over when I've done nothing wrong.I never give but there are alot of farang who do

One incident was when I was on my way into surin,I was riding a new motorbike so my licence plate hadn't arrived yet, I had the papers to prove it was my bike and a letter from the shop saying the licence plate was pending, yet this cop still insisted on fining me 200 bt, I refused to pay it and was taken to the police station where they made me wait 2 hours before letting me go saying it was a Missunderstanding.

True enough I've heard plenty of horror story's about the plod over here,including people who have "fallen out of police cars" and people who "disappear ",of couse you can't compare that with getting stopped at check points,but what boils my piss is when I'm stopped and it's "suggested" that money should be handed over when I've done nothing wrong.I never give but there are alot of farang who do

One incident was when I was on my way into surin,I was riding a new motorbike so my licence plate hadn't arrived yet, I had the papers to prove it was my bike and a letter from the shop saying the licence plate was pending, yet this cop still insisted on fining me 200 bt, I refused to pay it and was taken to the police station where they made me wait 2 hours before letting me go saying it was a Missunderstanding.

And there is the problem.