Helmet Padding To Be Given Out In Bangkok To Boost Road Safety During Songkran

webfact

pads ok, awareness campaign ok too. can you tell the police to stop riding motorcycles against traffic, on sidewalks, between cars in traffic. when cops start to behave as role models while riding bikes the behavior of the rest of the bike riding populace will improve. who cares if the cops don't bother?

I can think of worse things the police do as examples of being a bad "role model". Traffic flow and laws are shaped by local culture. There are things I've done here that I wouldn't do in other countries and vice-versa. I've driven heavily in the US (each state is different), Canada, Japan, and Thailand.

I've driven my motorcycle against traffic once or twice in BKK for a short distance, but numerous times in Hua Hin (Why go twice the distance to make a u-turn?). I've also gone on the sidewalk in BKK to get around traffic along with 100 other drivers on two wheels. Which maybe I won't be as likely to do when people don't get their rebate and can't afford their car anymore as I generally try to avoid venturing onto the sidewalk.

As for splitting lanes, that bewilders me as to how it relates to being a bad role model. I know in the US it's not always illegal, and depends on local traffic laws. From my experience, lane splitting is fairly common around the world, especially when traffic is stopped.

Perhaps the police should stop accepting bribes and demonstrating a large disparity in prosecution standards for people of different socio-economic backgrounds if they want to be good role models (Assuming that's even a concern to them).

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what padding this really is. If it is the polystyrene that is inside a helmet it seems pretty silly. If however it is a thin bath cap type liner that can be carried in a pocket it may help with the problem of reluctance to put a lice infested motorcyle taxi helmet on.

Edited by harrry

Police behaving as role models?!!!!!!!!

​Maybe the police should be the one learned it first, seeing then everywhere with their police caps instead of helmet, and if they where the helmet it is wide open so it properly fall off before they hit the ground. clap2.gif

The first thing Thailand needs, is an enforced law, that everyone on a motorcycle must wear a helmet, which is either DOT approved or meets the European standard ECE 22.05.

But the Thai Government, where stupidity meets ignorance, will not change anything, as always.

Such law exist, but it is enforced in a rather soft approach. its up to you to obey or not.

the authorities do plenty to inform the people that not wearing a helmet can have deadly consequences. a lot of people volunteer and demonstrate on public roads for others to see and to learn how unhealthy it looks like when your head is smashed.

people still hesitate to wear helmets.

pray tell us how do you would enforce such law. don't forget to consider that you are in Thailand and not in some hyper controlled nanny state.

Edited by ZhouZhou

That's the problem. Many farangs on here want everything to be like back home, but they don't want to go home.

Thais are happy, tourists are happy, many expats are happy, but a contingent of the TV expat community is forever complaining. They can't figure out why the developing country they moved to isn't developed. They just can't bear that others want to do things differently from them. I'll be throwing water full-force on any grumpy farangs I see on bikes. The aim will be to knock them off. The only reason being that I will give them something else to complain about.

What a very sad person you must be to think along those lines.

Again, why is it that you are here?

oh please stop that irony ... this government is just trying to do their job .... clap2.gifclap2.gif ok that was an ironic comment . coffee1.gif

where do you see the government involved?

What? The police ARE a government agency.

You must be the product of the Thai educational system.

"They just can't bear that others want to do things differently from them. I'll be throwing water full-force on any grumpy farangs I see on bikes. The aim will be to knock them off. The only reason being that I will give them something else to complain about."

So then you won't complain if the farang(s) you assault (and it is assault) hires a few Thai guys to beat you to a pulp, knock your teeth out and generally make you even stupider than before, if that is possible. What a horses ass.

• Like 2

Such law exist, but it is enforced in a rather soft approach. its up to you to obey or not.

So, by your 'Thai' logic, using your 'soft approach', it would be ok for me to kill you, because I decided that I did not want to obey the do not kill law.

Have I got that right? Did I miss anything?

Wow, I did not realize that living in Thailand could be so dangerous.

How about heavy fines for anybody riding without helmets, or anybody maliciously rubbing that talcy-water mix into the eyes of any cyclists... ?

Bans for anybody riding intoxicated ... ?

I guess you have to rule out anything which involves enforcing the law in this country.

Retarded padding scheme it is,then ...

Great idea so now how do they get motor cyclists to actually wear their helmets ? The Monty Python team had a Ministry of Silly Walks and the Thai government seems to have a Ministry of Silly Ideas

its a awareness campaign. everything else is up to you.

what kind of approach would you prefer. 10 years gulag for any Thai who does something that annoys the farang because they do it different in kansas?

That's the problem. Many farangs on here want everything to be like back home, but they don't want to go home.

Thais are happy, tourists are happy, many expats are happy, but a contingent of the TV expat community is forever complaining. They can't figure out why the developing country they moved to isn't developed. They just can't bear that others want to do things differently from them. I'll be throwing water full-force on any grumpy farangs I see on bikes. The aim will be to knock them off. The only reason being that I will give them something else to complain about.

Well I liked your ideas up to the point where you are doing it with the deliberate intent to put the rider in danger of serious physical harm.

You sound like a grumpy old farang out to get revenge, You would do best to stay in your home. One less person deliberately trying to create carnage. You would be no big loss.

oh please stop that irony ... this government is just trying to do their job .... clap2.gif:clap2: ok that was an ironic comment . coffee1.gif

ever heard of separation of powers? legislature, executive, judiciary?

no? you must be one of the best experts here.

what some state agency comes up with or the metropolitan police isn't necessary the last order directly from the cabinet or yingluck herself.

oh please stop that irony ... this government is just trying to do their job .... clap2.gif:clap2: ok that was an ironic comment . coffee1.gif

ever heard of separation of powers? legislature, executive, judiciary?

no? you must be one of the best experts here.

what some state agency comes up with or the metropolitan police isn't necessary the last order directly from the cabinet or yingluck herself.

Can we assume with all there diversions you are offering that you are also a member of the cabinet yourself ?

• Like 1

So, by your 'Thai' logic, using your 'soft approach', it would be ok for me to kill you, because I decided that I did not want to obey the do not kill law.

Have I got that right? Did I miss anything?

Wow, I did not realize that living in Thailand could be so dangerous.

smart kid.

what you missed is that i was talking about the law wearing a helmet. if you don't wear you will not risk a harsh punishment by law enforcement but increase your risk to die in an accident.

many thais obviously hesitate to wear helmets. many of them must have seen accidents were heads got smashed. still many don't wear helmets, nor wear these helmets properly. so it is.

they question is now what could be done that all people wear these helmets? any idea, any concepts, any suggestion besides calling someone (thai government/thai police/ thai people) names?

How about heavy fines for anybody riding without helmets, or anybody maliciously rubbing that talcy-water mix into the eyes of any cyclists... ?

I guess you have to rule out anything which involves enforcing the law in this country.

90 percent of the offending brother got no pennies.

everyone would suspect police corruption.

convincing people to wear helmets without punish them if they don't do is the best solution.

Wonder how these half a million helmet liners, came into the hands of the BIB? Who sought approval for this purchase???? in the first place, who supplied them, what was the intended use, what was the cost, who wilol distribute them and to whom?

I can remember a loveable gentleman who use to mark out intervals for recruits to dig laterines, the next morning, he would have them filled in (as yet, unused) as he found a new better spot a short distance away. At least the gunney knew what he was accomplishing, while this bunch of clowns have not a clue.

gov was throwing money for people to get 100.000 baht tax rebate.... why did they not just give FREE HELMETS to everyone ?

ah yes, than the BIB would be out of one of their cash cows

one HELMET per child in stead of a useless tablet

tip: why the people don't keep their foam lunchbox and put it on their had with a rubber band ? as safe as useless helmet paddings

Edited by belg

Problem solved ! If they can't go out to buy booze for 3 days then they will not neede to ride their bikes to friends house for fresh supplies when they run out, either.

This is the joined up thinking that puts our top people in a class of their own. What class you may ask cheesy.gif

90 percent of the offending brother got no pennies.

everyone would suspect police corruption.

convincing people to wear helmets without punish them if they don't do is the best solution.

Sorry to say that, but your best solution does not work, not here in Thailand. They will say: Mai pen rai, luem mokanok kab baan, or something like that. Look at the way these folks ride an MC or drive a car. They do not give a hoot about traffic rules, using indicators, mirrors, and so on. The dephts of this "Mai pen rai" attitude can be found, when you ride up to your local official Yamaha dealer to check the air pressure on your tires. They do not have a gauge. And look at policemen riding a bike here in Hat Yai: they wear their funny cap, sometimes a helmet, but they do not use mirrors or turn signals either.

First you do have to educate those, who should be educating others.

.... (speechless)

I wish all the other complaining farangs were also speechless.

Let's get this straight.

I choose to live in Thailand which means I automatically lose the option of expressing an opinion about how the population, I am now part of, lives?

The fact that blatant breaking of the motorcycle laws leaves the situation as an accident waiting to happen.

3 12-year old school-girls on a single motorbike without a single crash-helmet? Anyone can handle a safe situation, what happens if an accident were to occur?

The Thai attitude 'up-to-me' doesn't help ME if a loved one is seriously injured due to their inability to ride/drive legally and safely.

I'll carry on in the moaners corner thanks. As you accept what Thais do without question, I know you will accept the consequences of their thoughtless actions without question.

No danger of you ever joining me here.

• Like 1

Great idea so now how do they get motor cyclists to actually wear their helmets ? The Monty Python team had a Ministry of Silly Walks and the Thai government seems to have a Ministry of Silly Ideas

Wear the helmet is one ting, Nobody of the local monkeys, Strap the helmet solid to the head... they have it on ,not to get a ticket.. but first ting that fly from their head if something happend, is the helmet

.... (speechless)

I wish all the other complaining farangs were also speechless.

Let's get this straight.

I choose to live in Thailand which means I automatically lose the option of expressing an opinion about how the population, I am now part of, lives?

The fact that blatant breaking of the motorcycle laws leaves the situation as an accident waiting to happen.

3 12-year old school-girls on a single motorbike without a single crash-helmet? Anyone can handle a safe situation, what happens if an accident were to occur?

The Thai attitude 'up-to-me' doesn't help ME if a loved one is seriously injured due to their inability to ride/drive legally and safely.

I'll carry on in the moaners corner thanks. As you accept what Thais do without question, I know you will accept the consequences of their thoughtless actions without question.

No danger of you ever joining me here.

nah, everyone has the right to be frustrated.

if it helps and can improve the situation even better.